The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Devinszhang
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Devinszhang »

Can timer runs while the scoreable action list is running? And finally trigger an action along with the last action on ASLs to take the delivery part away to get 150 bonus points and the additional points for timer?
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by torqueburner »

Devinszhang wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:00 am Can timer runs while the scoreable action list is running? And finally trigger an action along with the last action on ASLs to take the delivery part away to get 150 bonus points and the additional points for timer?
If I understand what you are asking, I would say no. Rule 4c describes the timer as ". . . an action taking over 10 seconds. . ." Since all actions must be sequential (Rule 3.a.ii prohibits parallel actions), it would not be permitted if the timer runs while other actions are taking place.
Devinszhang

Post by Devinszhang »

If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?
Devinszhang

Post by Devinszhang »

And can we use 3.c.iv for this timer. We can control the water flow to act like the timer mentioned here.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Devinszhang wrote: October 26th, 2019, 2:10 pm If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?
You could probably use your clock as a timer then right?
Devinszhang

Post by Devinszhang »

I am confused. I do not think we can use actual clock as timer. Would you please clarify a little more?
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Devinszhang wrote: October 26th, 2019, 8:32 pm I am confused. I do not think we can use actual clock as timer. Would you please clarify a little more?
Can't any action be used as a timer? The pendulum clock (not an actual clock) would be one option. Somebody suggested slowly releasing water to raise the golfball.

It doesn't say anywhere the timer has to be a different 'action' than the scoreable action does it? Just not use a spring timer.
Devinszhang

Post by Devinszhang »

I see. Thanks so much!
Krish2007
Division: C
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Krish2007 »

If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?
I just went to my first tournament of the year at UT Austin viewtopic.php?f=294&t=14500 and while there I saw Jeffrey Trail Middle School do their mission. They got all 12 actions and they used the pendulum clock as a timer. You can not use a scorable action as a timer and get credit for both. Try to use a timer that is a non-scorable action.
Can't any action be used as a timer? The pendulum clock (not an actual clock) would be one option. Somebody suggested slowly releasing water to raise the golfball.

It doesn't say anywhere the timer has to be a different 'action' than the scoreable action does it? Just not use a spring timer.
In the rules, it never says that, but the proctors at UT Austin said you can't get credit for both the timer and the action you're using as a timer. So you won't get credit for the water task if you count it as a timer. I really hope this answers your questions and this is a topic I'm also very uncertain on. So really if what the UT proctors said are true then make something like a sand timer for your timer (I'm currently experimenting with it) instead of trying to use a scorable action. Another timer example that I actually used at UT was rolling a marble down a series of metal tracks (scroll down to roller coaster here-->https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_Best_of_2019). It's not a great method and very hard to optimize, but it's a good start.
Seven Lakes High School '25
Beckendorff Junior High '21
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Krish2007 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm
I just went to my first tournament of the year at UT Austin viewtopic.php?f=294&t=14500 and while there I saw Jeffrey Trail Middle School do their mission. They got all 12 actions and they used the pendulum clock as a timer. You can not use a scorable action as a timer and get credit for both. Try to use a timer that is a non-scorable action.

In the rules, it never says that, but the proctors at UT Austin said you can't get credit for both the timer and the action you're using as a timer. So you won't get credit for the water task if you count it as a timer. I really hope this answers your questions and this is a topic I'm also very uncertain on. So really if what the UT proctors said are true then make something like a sand timer for your timer (I'm currently experimenting with it) instead of trying to use a scorable action. Another timer example that I actually used at UT was rolling a marble down a series of metal tracks (scroll down to roller coaster here-->https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_Best_of_2019). It's not a great method and very hard to optimize, but it's a good start.
Thanks for the insight. Its not in the rules so surprised they did that. I'll submit a FAQ and hope it gets answered!

Return to “Mission Possible B”