EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Michigan 2020

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Take the following with a grain of salt, as I am not currently involved with NSO or any state organization in any direct way beyond just volunteering for events.

My bet is that there were extensive discussions behind the scenes that were not communicated in the email. I would guess that similar conversations have been conducted to varying degrees in both NJ and NC. As of now, it would appear that the latter two are more set in their ways, given that they have held their current policies for many years. NC in particular is unlikely to change, as NCSO predates NSO by several years.

Now, personal opinion time: I am glad NSO stepped in and showed some influence here. Michigan definitely acted with good intentions, but it is my bet that they didn't fully think through all of the consequences of allowing extra team members when it comes to invitationals and nationals. I am generally okay with states having some freedom to run their tournaments how they are comfortable, but when it comes to core mechanisms like team size and number of events, states really should attempt to match NSO as best as possible, and I'm glad to see NSO showed some power in maintaining this. Sets a good precedent for the future.

This is not an event-related post, but just to be safe: Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
meierfra
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

The National Event Supervisor for Detector Building will hold a workshop at Haslett High School on Saturday, Nov. 23 from 10 am - 2:30pm.

In this workshop, he shows you how to build a temperature probe, how to program the TI Nspire, how to calibrate the probe, how to do the circuitry to set up the LEDs, and then a little bit more programming to put it all together. Everyone makes and keeps their own probe and a mini-breadboard with the LEDs on it. (This probe will work with an Arduino, etc. You don't have to have an Nspire.)

This workshop is open to students, coaches, event coaches and anyone interested.

No previous experience with the Nspire is necessary. We provide all the materials. You probably want to bring something to take notes.

​There is a $5 fee for everyone except teachers.
Box lunches are available for pre-order for $5.

To register, visit the webpage https://haslettsciolyinvitational.weebl ... kshop.html
ilovebiologyPA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ilovebiologyPA »

So far this season it seems like Troy Michigan is really in deep trouble. I’ve been watching their events so far in the early season and it seems as if they are struggling in build and a few study events. I also do believe Pioneer won’t make nats this year. I do think it was just a one year wonder they had.
Oblivion

Post by Oblivion »

Who do you think is gonna get 1st and 2nd at states this year for Division C?
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

Oblivion wrote: November 6th, 2019, 2:34 pm Who do you think is gonna get 1st and 2nd at states this year for Division C?
1-2 Northville - Emphasis on 1st
1-4 Troy - Ofc :x
1-4 GrandHaven - Home Pick
4-5 Saline - They are really good, I love their team, but I don't think they can break top 4 yet
6-7 WMAA - The logical progression is 20 to 10 to 6, everyone knows that:)
6-7 Forest Central - They have been a consistent good school, but Saline and above are far better
8 IA Central - WMAA and Forest will just get better
9 DCD - Will Continue to Fall
10 Any team that has motivation

Disclaimer: Lmaoo, if you haven't figured it out, this is a meme prediction before any invys had happened and I rearranged the top 10. Don't take it personally. I don't predict teams as a general thing:)

I think top 10 will be much closer scores near the bottom this year(almost 200 pts between 5th-10th place last year!), ig we'll see
Last edited by AlfWeg on February 11th, 2020, 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
Oblivion

Post by Oblivion »

AlfWeg wrote: November 6th, 2019, 4:22 pm
Oblivion wrote: November 6th, 2019, 2:34 pm Who do you think is gonna get 1st and 2nd at states this year for Division C?
4-5 Saline - They are really good, I love their team, but I don't think they can break top 4 yet
6-7 Forest Central - They have been a consistent good school, but Saline and above are far better

I think top 10 will be much closer scores near the bottom this year(almost 200 pts between 5th-10th place last year!), ig we'll see
No Pioneer in the top 3, let alone the top 10? And, I also heard from Saline kids that Saline is pretty weak this year after they lost some Seniors last year, but you never know in Michigan.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

Oblivion wrote: November 6th, 2019, 5:19 pm

No Pioneer in the top 3, let alone the top 10? And, I also heard from Saline kids that Saline is pretty weak this year after they lost some Seniors last year, but you never know in Michigan.
Pioneer. ;) ily SriG Hmm, I didn't know about Saline's seniors leaving...but they have a good organization so idk if that will effect them that much
Last edited by AlfWeg on November 12th, 2019, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
madhavaniyengar

Post by madhavaniyengar »

AlfWeg wrote: November 6th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Pioneer. Wow, them fools ;) ily SriG Hmm, I didn't know about Saline's seniors leaving...but they have a good organization so idk if that will effect them that much
Pioneer really out here
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

ilovebiologyPA wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:59 pm So far this season it seems like Troy Michigan is really in deep trouble. I’ve been watching their events
Must have some really strong binoculars.
madhavaniyengar wrote: November 9th, 2019, 7:57 pm
AlfWeg wrote: November 6th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Pioneer. Wow, them fools ;) ily SriG Hmm, I didn't know about Saline's seniors leaving...but they have a good organization so idk if that will effect them that much
Pioneer really out here
ikr
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
lightpinkstar
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by lightpinkstar »

Does anyone have results from Portage invite yesterday?

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”