Machines B/C

viditpok
Division: Grad
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Machines B/C

Post by viditpok »

masterkite wrote: November 6th, 2019, 12:26 pm Hello guys, did anyone here go to the Texas invitational? If so, what were the ratios for the weights for division B and how was it run? :D
I did go to the UT Austin Invitational, and we did receive OUR tests, but they have not posted the tests and keys yet, so we don't know the ratios yet.
Georgia Tech '24
Orlando Science '22

Viditpok's Userpage

2021-22: IAB, Detector, XPD, WiFi
2020-21: Circuit, Machines, Forensics
2019-20: Circuit, Machines, Codebusters
2018-19: Circuit, Fermi, Forensics, Mission Possible
2017-18: Thermo, CB, Hovercraft, Optics
viditpok

Post by viditpok »

misha wrote: November 6th, 2019, 12:46 pm Does anyone know if the ratios for the lab portion of machines have to be in decimals or not. If so up to what decimal place does the ratio have to be at.
For the ratios, I believe they should be decimals, but the number of decimals is not really specified, so you can put as many as you want (but it is best to ask your proctor)
But as AwesomeSauceis1 said, 3/4 should be good
Georgia Tech '24
Orlando Science '22

Viditpok's Userpage

misha
Has thanked: 0

Post by misha »

viditpok wrote: November 8th, 2019, 12:17 pm
misha wrote: November 6th, 2019, 12:46 pm Does anyone know if the ratios for the lab portion of machines have to be in decimals or not. If so up to what decimal place does the ratio have to be at.
For the ratios, I believe they should be decimals, but the number of decimals is not really specified, so you can put as many as you want (but it is best to ask your proctor)
But as AwesomeSauceis1 said, 3/4 should be good
Thank you.
AwesomeSauceis1 wrote: November 6th, 2019, 9:05 pm

https://www.soinc.org/how-accurate-must ... lace-two-0
(Section: 2 / Paragraph: e / Line: 6)
10/29/2019
HOW ACCURATE MUST THE MEASUREMENT OF THE RATIO BE (SHOULD THE ANSWER BE ONLY A WHOLE NUMBER, ONE DECIMAL PLACE, TWO DECIMAL PLACES, ETC.)?
Students may give their answer to any number of decimal places. Their answer will be compared to the ES's calculation of the ratio, which will be calculated by using the maximal precision of the scales and observing rules of significant figures.

In regards to the precision, the rules say Masses A, B, and C must be between 20.0 and 800.0 g. That's 3/4 significant figures, so I would use 3 to try to line it up with the key. Of course, follow any instructions explicitly given by the ES.
Thank you.
Last edited by Schrodingerscat on November 8th, 2019, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
EastEagle991

Post by EastEagle991 »

I read the rules, and I was wondering if we could bring our own weights to the competition?
GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

Unome wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Creationist127 wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:56 pm
Flyingfish wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm Has anyone ordered the Ward's Science machines kit that's linked on the soinc.org page? It's around $135, but I can't seem to find any information on the contents of the kit. The same kit is listed for both simple machines and compound machines, which makes it seem more likely that it might contain just like examples of each simple machine rather than materials to build a lever. Does anyone have any information on what's included in the kit?
I have no idea what’s in the kit, so the following is my opinion:
Sweet mother of Isaac Newton! That’s expensive!
Unfortunately, I have not started building yet, but the plan I have drawn up will probably cost me no more than ten bucks. I would suggest that you’re better off finding your own materials.
Conventional wisdom holds that the Ward's kits are overpriced and not useful. Note that I have no personal experience with this kit, however I did make a competitive B lever out of a couple of plastic cups and a ruler.
My coach ordered this kit and it comes with a ready made class one lever with three evenly spaces notches to adjust in the middle. There are also other triangular wooden pieces and stuff like that.
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
adarsh

Post by adarsh »

Can someone share an example of a graph for this event? I don't really understand what the variables need to be.
jf0329.rcsa
Division: C

Post by jf0329.rcsa »

I need some help making a binder, how should I format it?
viditpok

Post by viditpok »

adarsh wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:26 am Can someone share an example of a graph for this event? I don't really understand what the variables need to be.
For the variables, I would say, just use the distances of the masses, and like your estimate vs the actual ratios. The comparison of the different variables/constants can be what your graphs are based on.
Georgia Tech '24
Orlando Science '22

Viditpok's Userpage

adarsh

Post by adarsh »

viditpok wrote:
adarsh wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:26 am Can someone share an example of a graph for this event? I don't really understand what the variables need to be.
For the variables, I would say, just use the distances of the masses, and like your estimate vs the actual ratios. The comparison of the different variables/constants can be what your graphs are based on.
Thanks
adarsh

Post by adarsh »

Will the ES provide the loops for the masses?

Return to “Machines B/C”