Food Science B

Osman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by Osman »

Does anyone have any idea what the water temperature will be for the salinity tests? I was thinking of measuring salinity with electric resistance, but water is more conductive at a higher temperature. Should my partner and I not even use an electric salinometer and just stick with a straw?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Osman wrote: October 11th, 2019, 7:37 am Does anyone have any idea what the water temperature will be for the salinity tests? I was thinking of measuring salinity with electric resistance, but water is more conductive at a higher temperature. Should my partner and I not even use an electric salinometer and just stick with a straw?
Sadly, water temperature will differ depending on what tournament you go to, because every school sets room temperatures themselves. In fact, it will even depend on the time of day that gets assigned to your team for water quality, because event supervisors tend to mix salt with either cold or hot tap water, and the temperature of the solution will gradually approach room temperature as the day goes on.

If you are building an electrical salinometer, I would recommend that you build both a straw salinometer and an electrical one at the same time. There are few reliable guides on the Internet about building an electrical salinometer, so if you try to, you'll probably have to rely mainly on the expertise of a student or coach very good at chemistry. Even then, an electrical device is still time-intensive to create and calibrate. If you hit a snag, a straw one comes handy as backup.

It's up to you to decide whether it's worthwhile, but my take is that you should discuss with your teammates about it. You'll want to know which of your team members could collaborate with you (no single person will have the full set of skills for making a conductivity meter), and you'll want to talk about whether your team would be okay with diverting time from other events to just a salinometer, keeping in mind that you should also dedicate time to building a straw salinometer regardless of whether you build an electrical one. I'll say, though, that even if an electrical salinometer doesn't work, you'll learn a lot in the process. Not a single one of my electrical meters succeeded, but while I got frustrated, I also got insight, since it sharpened my overall building skills. Good luck!
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
Osman

Post by Osman »

Thanks for the advice! I will try to ask the Water Quality team for tips as they have to make a salinometer with literally the same parameters.
trehank
Division: B
State: OH

Post by trehank »

I was wondering this is my first year doing food science and do we build our own salinometer and bring it to the competition? Can we bring an electric one but it must be built before the competition? Is it better to build a digital or use a regular salinomter?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

trehank wrote: November 7th, 2019, 4:28 pm I was wondering this is my first year doing food science and do we build our own salinometer and bring it to the competition? Can we bring an electric one but it must be built before the competition? Is it better to build a digital or use a regular salinomter?
You must build your own salinometer before competition, so you and your team will have completely assembled all parts at school/home, and you'll bring your completed salinometer with you on the day of the tournament. The design of the salinometer is up to you, but you are allowed to use an electrical one, as long as you build it yourself using basic circuit components.

The forums are indispensable for improving any build because you get to learn from what others and doing. The full benefit, though, isn't just from asking questions, but also seeing what questions others are asking. I and several others are often answering salinometer questions, so you can always read some of my previous posts on the Food Science forum and Water Quality forum, as well as posts from last year's forums, linked at [1], [2], and [3].

But for the question you asked, a density-based salinometer is probably easier than an electrical one, but both are nevertheless difficult to get perfect. Come back and ask again if you have more questions! :)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
Frost0125
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Frost0125 »

I noticed in the Food Science Rules is says one page front and back per participant. Does anyone know if this means a team of two can have 2 pages front and back where each side has different information, or if it means a team of two can have two identical copies of one cheat sheet?
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
amineral
State: IN

Post by amineral »

Frost0125 wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:32 am I noticed in the Food Science Rules is says one page front and back per participant. Does anyone know if this means a team of two can have 2 pages front and back where each side has different information, or if it means a team of two can have two identical copies of one cheat sheet?
I read it as two separate unique papers with different information if wanted, but I'm unsure.
vweers

Post by vweers »

Frost0125 wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:32 am I noticed in the Food Science Rules is says one page front and back per participant. Does anyone know if this means a team of two can have 2 pages front and back where each side has different information, or if it means a team of two can have two identical copies of one cheat sheet?
My understanding is that each participant will get their own sheet. So if you have one participant then you have one sheet, if two then you have two.
Vickie Weers
Division B Head Coach
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

From the soinc.org site:

Section: 2 / Paragraph: B / Line: 1)
10/08/2019
FOR BOTH THE CHEMISTRY EVENTS, THE RULES SAY “EACH PARTICIPANT MAY BRING ONE 8.5” BY 11” SHEET OF PAPER.” DOES THIS MEAN EACH TEAM IS ALLOWED TWO PIECES OF PAPER, OR DOES “PARTICIPANT” MEAN TEAM?

If a team has two participants in these events it is allowed two reference sheets; one for each participant. If for some reason the team only has a single participant in the event then that team is allowed a single reference sheet for that participant. If two sheets are used the content does not have to be exactly the same on both sheets.

https://www.soinc.org/food-science
DragonTownEpic
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DragonTownEpic »

dvegadvol wrote: November 14th, 2019, 2:55 pm From the soinc.org site:

Section: 2 / Paragraph: B / Line: 1)
10/08/2019
FOR BOTH THE CHEMISTRY EVENTS, THE RULES SAY “EACH PARTICIPANT MAY BRING ONE 8.5” BY 11” SHEET OF PAPER.” DOES THIS MEAN EACH TEAM IS ALLOWED TWO PIECES OF PAPER, OR DOES “PARTICIPANT” MEAN TEAM?

If a team has two participants in these events it is allowed two reference sheets; one for each participant. If for some reason the team only has a single participant in the event then that team is allowed a single reference sheet for that participant. If two sheets are used the content does not have to be exactly the same on both sheets.

https://www.soinc.org/food-science
So if you have a partner you basically get two double-sided cheat sheets???
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x

Return to “2020 Lab Events”