Protein Modeling C

jdmcirvin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by jdmcirvin »

Does anyone know how to find what amino acids are important on the pre-build model? I am having trouble finding any resources for residues we should highlight or groups that perform specific functions on the specific cytidine deaminase protein this year.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by AlfWeg »

jdmcirvin wrote: November 21st, 2019, 7:19 pm Does anyone know how to find what amino acids are important on the pre-build model? I am having trouble finding any resources for residues we should highlight or groups that perform specific functions on the specific cytidine deaminase protein this year.
Check out this paper for relevant AA: http://cbm.msoe.edu/images/contentImage ... hiffer.pdf. The sponsors have a lot of information to help out with this event here: http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/participant2.php. The 2 relevant papers are posted there
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
eagerlearner102
Division: C

Post by eagerlearner102 »

I circled each important amino acid that played a crucial role in active site or substrate structure. I also circled amino acids that affected bonding with DNA. Probably be good idea to print out the research paper and read it very carefully and annotating as you go.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

regional level is just graded on backbone right?
ntso
quack quack
jdmcirvin

Post by jdmcirvin »

Thanks to both of you who replied! I read the papers at the beginning but I should probably go back and re-read them now that I understand them better. I like the idea of printing them out and annotating.

ericlepanda, the pre-build is graded on quality of backbone and highlighting of important/functional residues. I believe that not as much emphasis is placed on the side chains at regional levels, but including them can help set you apart from the other teams.
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

ericlepanda wrote: November 24th, 2019, 2:22 pm regional level is just graded on backbone right?
Yes Invites and Regionals are based on just the backbone for state and nationals refer to rule 4.b.iii.2/3 in the protein modeling rules.
Nyerr

Post by Nyerr »

Alright so, I have a little bit of a dilemma. I didn’t realized that 3D Molecular Designs sells different pre-build and regionals kits each year. Right now I have several 15 inch Mini Toobers and I don’t know whether I should put those together somehow, rush order the invitational kit, or use a different material entirely? I really don’t want to rush order the invitational kit, so what option will hurt my score the least? Thanks from an anxious bean
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Nyerr wrote: November 28th, 2019, 11:44 am Alright so, I have a little bit of a dilemma. I didn’t realized that 3D Molecular Designs sells different pre-build and regionals kits each year. Right now I have several 15 inch Mini Toobers and I don’t know whether I should put those together somehow, rush order the invitational kit, or use a different material entirely? I really don’t want to rush order the invitational kit, so what option will hurt my score the least? Thanks from an anxious bean
Your Mini-Toober should be 228cm long (see http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/des ... build.html), so unless you have six Toobers (6 x 2.54 x 15 = 228.1), you should probably buy the kit.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

How much do you guys spend on your pre build model? I am panicking because my school's science department is very slow when it comes to ordering. I still haven't got it but I don't want to reorder because my school pays for our materials.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
iplaythebassoon
State: OH

Prebuild

Post by iplaythebassoon »

{deleted message}
Last edited by iplaythebassoon on December 3rd, 2019, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Protein Modeling C”