Disease Detectives B/C

Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Tailsfan101 »

wqual wrote: November 14th, 2019, 6:58 am [SERIOUS] Is it just me or does disease never change? Ever since like 3 years ago it has been about food borne illnesses every year. Thoughts?
In 2019, Disease Detectives changed in that there are now no topics on rotations. Prior to 2019, there were three rotational topics: Environmental Quality (most recently in 2014), Population Growth (2016), and Foodborne Illnesses (last seen in 2018).
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

Tailsfan101 wrote: November 14th, 2019, 10:55 am
wqual wrote: November 14th, 2019, 6:58 am [SERIOUS] Is it just me or does disease never change? Ever since like 3 years ago it has been about food borne illnesses every year. Thoughts?
In 2019, Disease Detectives changed in that there are now no topics on rotations. Prior to 2019, there were three rotational topics: Environmental Quality (most recently in 2014), Population Growth (2016), and Foodborne Illnesses (last seen in 2018).
However, I have seen that foodborne illnesses are more common in case studies and questions in general, possibly because it was the last actual rotation before having no main topics.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

I'm pretty sure there's no specific illness this year.
nerdfifi
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nerdfifi »

Hey I was wondering how you guys format your notes for Disease Detectives.
Oblivion
State: MI

Post by Oblivion »

Is there a good resource any of you guys have to learn how to do all the calculations for DD?
These users thanked the author Oblivion for the post:
Shanlii (April 3rd, 2020, 8:16 am)
PeriodicPenguins82
Division: B
State: OH

Post by PeriodicPenguins82 »

pikachu4919 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm Disease Detectives B/C: Students will use investigative skills in the scientific study of disease, injury, health and disability in populations or groups of people.

Disease Detectives Wiki

Disease Detectives Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Hola otro estudiantes de ciencia!
I am in Disease Detectives and this is my first year doing it. My partner is also new this year, so we don't exactly know what to do when it comes to the diseases. We did not see any mention of having to include them on the rules, but looking at cheat sheets of previous years, it looks like they identified some diseases. We are not sure if we should put diseases on our cheat sheet, and if so, which ones?
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

PeriodicPenguins82 wrote: December 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm
pikachu4919 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm Disease Detectives B/C: Students will use investigative skills in the scientific study of disease, injury, health and disability in populations or groups of people.

Disease Detectives Wiki

Disease Detectives Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Hola otros estudiantes de ciencia!
I am in Disease Detectives and this is my first year doing it. My partner is also new this year, so we don't exactly know what to do when it comes to the diseases. We did not see any mention of having to include them on the rules, but looking at cheat sheets of previous years, it looks like they identified some diseases. We are not sure if we should put diseases on our cheat sheet, and if so, which ones?
I think the most important diseases to focus on are foodborne illnesses, and while they aren't a topic for the event anymore, they tend to show up on many tests. Of those, the most important are salmonellosis, listeriosis, E. coli, botulism, and norovirus. Also, you'll want to know about other common diseases such as cholera and malaria.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
divyakris
Division: B
State: CA

Post by divyakris »

Need clarification on the FIRST step in managing an outbreak- Is it
Prepare for Field Work or Establish the Existence of an Outbreak? Some prior tests seem to indicate one or the other.
glin1011
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by glin1011 »

divyakris wrote: January 9th, 2020, 1:28 pm Need clarification on the FIRST step in managing an outbreak- Is it
Prepare for Field Work or Establish the Existence of an Outbreak? Some prior tests seem to indicate one or the other.
Based off my past experiences in this event, it's usually establishing that an outbreak is present.
It might've changed to become "preparing for field work" as the first step though.

The reason why I say this is because the official CDC site marked preparing for field work as the first step in managing one; and then establishing that it's an official outbreak. At the same time, it depends on what outbreak is currently happening.

Not all the time is the first step to prepare for your field work as it's ultimately up to the researcher(s) whether or not they want to take that step. I'm assuming checking early signs of the outbreak counts as field work preparation, but the CDC says it's necessary to have an action plan before establishing it's present.

For reference, check here: https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/ ... html#step1
It's apart of an online textbook the CDC released on their site, and it's been really helpful for me in the past: https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/index.html

But honestly, when I look at it, I consider them both under the same category: you could count establishing an outbreak as part of your early field work if you think about it.
River City Science Academy Class of 2020
Division B Experimental Design Coach
Division C Team Member/Assistant Manager

2020 Events: Sounds of Music; Ping Pong Parachute; Boomilever; Experimental Design
University of Florida '24
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

divyakris wrote: January 9th, 2020, 1:28 pm Need clarification on the FIRST step in managing an outbreak- Is it
If you are asked what the ten steps to an outbreak investigation are, I would put "Prepare for field work" as number one. That is what I've seen on virtually all tests I've taken, and this is my fourth year on the event.

I have no regrets.

Return to “2020 Study Events”