Detector Building Calibration Thermometer Specs

FruitLoop
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Detector Building Calibration Thermometer Specs

Post by FruitLoop »

The rules manual for detector building specifies a calibration thermometer accurate to 0.1 degrees C. I assume they don't mean resolution, because the designers of the challenge definitely know the difference, but the only thermometer that I can find accurate to 0.1 degrees costs $380. Additionally, at the invitational I recently attended, not everyone had a crazy expensive thermometer, which makes me think they do in fact mean resolution not accuracy.

Does anyone know if I just poorly interpreted that rule, or does every school have to spend $380 on a thermometer for a challenge that might not run again for a few years? Or, does anyone have a cheaper option? Thanks!
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Detector Building Calibration Thermometer Specs

Post by pepperonipi »

FruitLoop wrote: December 8th, 2019, 10:44 pm The rules manual for detector building specifies a calibration thermometer accurate to 0.1 degrees C. I assume they don't mean resolution, because the designers of the challenge definitely know the difference, but the only thermometer that I can find accurate to 0.1 degrees costs $380. Additionally, at the invitational I recently attended, not everyone had a crazy expensive thermometer, which makes me think they do in fact mean resolution not accuracy.

Does anyone know if I just poorly interpreted that rule, or does every school have to spend $380 on a thermometer for a challenge that might not run again for a few years? Or, does anyone have a cheaper option? Thanks!
Yeah, I would just get a semi-reliable calibration thermometer which can display temperatures with a resolution of 0.1. There's no need to spend almost $400 for a thermometer. Similar to your story, I would assume that most invites/regionals aren't going to be checking the accuracy of each team's temperature sensor, as that would be really challenging and take way too long to do.

However, I believe the message they were trying to get across in their wording was that your calibration thermometer should be relatively accurate (as in, your calibration temperature probably shouldn't be displaying 30.5C when all of the other teams' thermometers/their thermometers are displaying 24.2C).
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

I believe the 0.1C is resolution. 1-2C accuracy is acceptable.
For regional, you bring your own thermometer. Only for state and national, ES will give you their thermometer and you have to calibrate to that thermometer.

Jinhu
fyuan483

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. to build our own “thermometer” we can place our sensor (TI LM19) into a straw and use hot glue to keep the TI LM19 in place right?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

jinhusong wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:31 pm I believe the 0.1C is resolution. 1-2C accuracy is acceptable.
For regional, you bring your own thermometer. Only for state and national, ES will give you their thermometer and you have to calibrate to that thermometer.
That's not what the rules say, though. The rules specify 0.1% accuracy. I imagine the people who wrote the rules know the difference between accuracy and precision.

0.1% accuracy is expensive. 0.1% precision is basically free.
fyuan483

Re: Detector Building Calibration Thermometer Specsk no

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. during competition if in my code it says “input” am i allowed to type for it or i just can’t touch the calculator at all? thank you!
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

fyuan483 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 7:15 pm hi. during competition if in my code it says “input” am i allowed to type for it or i just can’t touch the calculator at all? thank you!
You can use it during setup time (10 minutes for regional, 20 minutes for state/national).
You will not be allowed to touch it afterwards.
fyuan483

Post by fyuan483 »

jinhusong wrote: February 7th, 2020, 8:57 am
fyuan483 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 7:15 pm hi. during competition if in my code it says “input” am i allowed to type for it or i just can’t touch the calculator at all? thank you!
You can use it during setup time (10 minutes for regional, 20 minutes for state/national).
You will not be allowed to touch it afterwards.
thank you!
fyuan483

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. is there any way i can write a program for the voltage to centigrade temperature without having to use “input” and touching the calculator during competition time?
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

fyuan483 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 12:30 pm hi. is there any way i can write a program for the voltage to centigrade temperature without having to use “input” and touching the calculator during competition time?
You provide no specifics and expect an answer? What calculator are you referring to? How does your existing program work?

Return to “Detector Building C”