Machines B/C 4 Graphs and Data Tables?

vandjac
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Machines B/C 4 Graphs and Data Tables?

Post by vandjac »

What do I need to do for these graphs and data tables? I have one data table that has distance from fulcrum on class 1 lever, distance from fulcrum on class 2 lever, experimental ratio, actual ratio, and experimental error. What else can I do for tables, or what variables do I put on a graph?
imaditi
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Machines B/C 4 Graphs and Data Tables?

Post by imaditi »

vandjac wrote: December 7th, 2019, 9:51 am What do I need to do for these graphs and data tables? I have one data table that has distance from fulcrum on class 1 lever, distance from fulcrum on class 2 lever, experimental ratio, actual ratio, and experimental error. What else can I do for tables, or what variables do I put on a graph?
I'm not quite sure but what we did was just have 4 separate tables for our trials. So like trials 1-20 is on one table. Trials 20-40 on another, because our team ended up testing a lot and if we didn't split up the tables we would have one table that's 4 pages long, so we just put one table on each piece of paper. (We had 4 of those.)
Orlando Science High School '23

imaditi's userpage
2017: Optics, Wind Power, Anatomy
2018: Optics, Rocks & Minerals, Battery Buggy
2019: Game On, Battery Buggy, Herp, Mystery
2020: Circuit, Machines, Detector, Code
adarsh

Post by adarsh »

What were your variables during your trials?
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Variables should probably be (assuming one weight is fixed):
Distance of weight 1 from the fulcrum
Distance of weight 2 from the fulcrum
Mass of weight 1
Mass of weight 2
Mass Ratio

Make sure to include units. Each graph/table should have at least 10 data points (trials) on it. Remember to put team name and other necessary information on the graphs/tables as well
adarsh

Post by adarsh »

Thanks!
EKT26
State: NY

Post by EKT26 »

G’day lads ‘n ladies!

While not entirely related, I thought this’d be a good place to post since it’s relevant to the charts for machines.

Today at Columbia we were docked one point for not covering the full mass range on all of our graphs. (After being given full 2 points at Cornell and LISO)

For example one graph had a weight of 20g which was then compared to 20g, 40g, etc. up to 200g because that’s 10:1 or max for the state.

Another separate graph had a similar set up weight of 80g which went up to 800g.

I know it states that one graph is selected but greater than a ratio of 12:1 (Div c Nationals) is not possible for any competition or good machine

Tldr Does possible mass range for an individual chart refer to the full 20-800g or just a range within the given mass ratios for the competitions? Referring to Section 5ei.
Kellenberg Memorial High School: 2020-2021
Bro. Fox Latin School: 2017-2019

Astronomy, Machines, Chem Lab, :mrgreen: Disease Detectives, and Ping-Pong Parachute are where I’m at.
adarsh

Post by adarsh »

If you don't mind answering, what were your x and y variables on your graph?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

EKT26 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 8:12 pm Tldr Does possible mass range for an individual chart refer to the full 20-800g or just a range within the given mass ratios for the competitions? Referring to Section 5ei.
I think the phrase "mass range" has to refer to a range of masses, and not a range of mass ratios. Certainly not all combinations of masses in that rage will form legal ratios, but I would read that rule to mean that each chart must contain a point where one of the masses is 20g, a point where one of the masses is 800g, and a collection of points at intermediate masses in order to score.

I think this implies that if you restrict your charts to only competition-legal mass ratios, you cannot make the charts in the manner you have been doing (comparing a fixed weight to a set of varying weights) and score fully.
VansBuilders
State: CA

Post by VansBuilders »

Hello,
For my data tables, I used Trial Number vs Weight Ratio and Trial Number vs Distance Ratio for each ratio such as 2:1, 3:2, etc. I linked the table below.
Is this sufficient for the competition if I make one for each ratio?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16L8Oth ... sp=sharing
Thanks,
VansBuilders
EKT26
State: NY

Post by EKT26 »

Hello,
For my data tables, I used Trial Number vs Weight Ratio and Trial Number vs Distance Ratio for each ratio such as 2:1, 3:2, etc. I linked the table below.
Is this sufficient for the competition if I make one for each ratio?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16L8Oth ... sp=sharing
Thanks,
VansBuilders
I don't think so because you need to span the possible mass range. By using just the ratios, your masses are ambiguous. A 2:1 ratio can be 40g:20g or 800g:400g
Kellenberg Memorial High School: 2020-2021
Bro. Fox Latin School: 2017-2019

Astronomy, Machines, Chem Lab, :mrgreen: Disease Detectives, and Ping-Pong Parachute are where I’m at.

Return to “Machines B/C”