Ornithology B/C

Kyky
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Kyky »

Scrambledeggs wrote: December 13th, 2019, 5:49 pm Has anyone bought the subscription to birdsna? Is it useful/worth it?
I have it. It's ok. Honestly, some of it just doesn't seem useful. Like it's super dense and there's just soooo much. Also its just not great to read, like they use large words, and cite research papers. It's very wordy and honestly not really worth it. It's useful to buff up notes and yea it has a ton of info in one place. But like there are good free sites too.
Eagle Hill Middle School
2019 Events: Herp <3 , WIDI, Game On, sorta Road
2020 Events: Orni, WIDI, PPP :P
2021 Events: :(
Djsrock
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

That binder

Post by Djsrock »

I'm going to work on my binder, because, let's be honest, field guides SUCK. But, what do I put in mine? Looking at past tests here is what I'm picking up on:
Eggs
Habitat biome
Habitat map & migration
Flight feather (family)
Any strange things you come across reaching
Flightless? (It is assumed it can fly)
Sweet adaptations
Any near extinction times with dates!
Threats to bird
Food
Primary food
Nest
who chooses nest spot?
Who sits on nest?
Birds it is related to
Male, female, juvenile
How long is it juvenile
How does it hunt

does this seem good? I would love to know your feedback!
:P :D 8-)
alaughner
Division: C
State: IN

Herring Gull Taxon Change

Post by alaughner »

The Herring Gull was split into the European and American Herring Gull in 2005, but it seems like the National Bird list is still referring to it as though they were one taxon, by not specifying which type of Herring Gull.

Is the list wrong or am I deeply confused?
Chesterton High School
2018 - Div. B: Solar System, Disease Detectives
2019 - Div. B: Herpetology 3rd Place, Battery Buggy, Boomilever
2020 - Div. C: Ornithology, Fossils
hmmm
State: NJ

Re: Herring Gull Taxon Change

Post by hmmm »

alaughner wrote: December 20th, 2019, 11:23 pm The Herring Gull was split into the European and American Herring Gull in 2005, but it seems like the National Bird list is still referring to it as though they were one taxon, by not specifying which type of Herring Gull.

Every scioly id list has sketchy taxonomy; it should probably be the American one.
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
Kyky
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Herring Gull Taxon Change

Post by Kyky »

hmmm wrote: December 21st, 2019, 8:32 am
alaughner wrote: December 20th, 2019, 11:23 pm The Herring Gull was split into the European and American Herring Gull in 2005, but it seems like the National Bird list is still referring to it as though they were one taxon, by not specifying which type of Herring Gull.

Every scioly id list has sketchy taxonomy; it should probably be the American one.
Ye, and it doesn't hurt to have information on both either. Just always go by what the list says when writing an answer down on an answer sheet.
Eagle Hill Middle School
2019 Events: Herp <3 , WIDI, Game On, sorta Road
2020 Events: Orni, WIDI, PPP :P
2021 Events: :(
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

Kyky wrote:
hmmm wrote: December 21st, 2019, 8:32 am

Ye, and it doesn't hurt to have information on both either. Just always go by what the list says when writing an answer down on an answer sheet.
Adding on to this, it's a similar situation to the Screech Owl issue, with multiple species, and to a lesser extent the Clapper Rail issue(see National FAQs). Have information on both, but focus on the American one, and just write "Herring Gull" on the answer sheet.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Nooran008
State: PA

Post by Nooran008 »

Hey quick question! I am making my binder for this event, and I was wondering if it would be a better idea to try compressing as many birds as possible on each page, so during the tournament, you would not have to go flipping through 100 pages. Would this be a better idea? Thanks!
2019-2020 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Ornithology, WIDI, Reach for the Stars, Dynamic Planet
Team: Abington Heights Middle School
"If you doubt yourself, and your team members say you'll get a medal, you'll probably get a medal."
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

Nooran008 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:56 am Hey quick question! I am making my binder for this event, and I was wondering if it would be a better idea to try compressing as many birds as possible on each page, so during the tournament, you would not have to go flipping through 100 pages. Would this be a better idea? Thanks!
If you have memorized enough information on the birds, then I would say go for it. If not, just use tabs to mark the orders/families.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
ChimpLopez
State: PA

Post by ChimpLopez »

CPScienceDude wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:58 am
Nooran008 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:56 am Hey quick question! I am making my binder for this event, and I was wondering if it would be a better idea to try compressing as many birds as possible on each page, so during the tournament, you would not have to go flipping through 100 pages. Would this be a better idea? Thanks!
If you have memorized enough information on the birds, then I would say go for it. If not, just use tabs to mark the orders/families.
I agree. At first, having more information on all the birds would be a better idea but as you and your partner keep practicing, you guys can figure out what information may or may not be extraneous and compress your binder from there.
I also go by Chino.
2017-2018 Events: Herpetology, Ecology
2018-2019 Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping
2019-2020 Events: Ornithology, Fossils, Protein Modeling
Red Sweatshirt Guy (RSG) 8-)
GurtYo
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

Hi!

So basically we are done with our notes and now I am focusing on identifying the birds without the help of a field guide or other sources. I already have some of them down, but I'm using quizlet and it doesn't work that well because:

I just memorize the specific picture shown and not the actual identifying features of the bird
Most of the pictures are low quality or super zoomed out. In one of them you can't even see the bird!

Does anyone have a solution to this? I am looking for something with multiple pictures of each bird. Any help is appreciated!
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins

Return to “2020 Study Events”