HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

sciolynoob
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by sciolynoob »

Hi,
We have some questions, our comp is next week. First off, our parachute isn't deploying properly. It gets stuck inside the cone. Even if it comes out, it still doesn't release. We are folding it into thirds right now. In addition, we are struggling with fins. What size is optimal? All the results are really inconsistent. Finally, does a funnel facing up with a cone on top of it fit the rules?

Thanks
EKT26
State: NY

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by EKT26 »

From one noob to another

Don’t use folds. We had release issues too with folds). The industries that use folds have parachutes deploying at much higher falling velocities and would only work at ridiculously high competitions (Cornell)

I would not use a nose cone. Again it’s just another complication used in different contexts.

Honestly idk about fin-size but if your bottles have launching stability issues fins are an easy way to make them bottom heavy. Fins should definitely not come out more than a bottle’s diameter.

The idea with the tube and the upside down thingamabob is legal. (#1 Most Important Tip For any event: Know your rules!)
Kellenberg Memorial High School: 2020-2021
Bro. Fox Latin School: 2017-2019

Astronomy, Machines, Chem Lab, :mrgreen: Disease Detectives, and Ping-Pong Parachute are where I’m at.
megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

sciolynoob wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm Hi,
We have some questions, our comp is next week. First off, our parachute isn't deploying properly. It gets stuck inside the cone. Even if it comes out, it still doesn't release. We are folding it into thirds right now. In addition, we are struggling with fins. What size is optimal? All the results are really inconsistent. Finally, does a funnel facing up with a cone on top of it fit the rules?

Thanks
I know it's probably too late for you but for fins, I would make multiple rockets for different sets of fins and see which one works best.

What do you mean by "it gets stuck inside the cone" what kind of design are you using?
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
LisaKAPham
Been thanked: 0

Post by LisaKAPham »

Honestly you really don't need fins. You also really don't need to fold the parachute just place it on the bottle. Finally DONT put something on top of your parachute. it won't be able to open.
sciolynoob

Post by sciolynoob »

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help!! With help of the wind, we got first place!! We ended up using triangular fins and just put the parachute in, without folding it. We got 33 seconds in NorCal, so outside.
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

sciolynoob wrote: January 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help!! With help of the wind, we got first place!! We ended up using triangular fins and just put the parachute in, without folding it. We got 33 seconds in NorCal, so outside.
Waaiiittt, the event was held outside? I thought it has to be indoors hmmm :?: . 33 seconds sounds pretty good, how high did you launch your rocket? (since it's outside...)

Xiangyu
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
sciolynoob

Post by sciolynoob »

Since NorCal has liability issues, ping pong parachute is held outdoors. This should only be for NorCal though. As for the height, I don't remember, but it was around 30 feet I think. We most definitely were not the highest that day.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

xiangyu wrote: January 14th, 2020, 11:57 am
sciolynoob wrote: January 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm Hey guys,
Waaiiittt, the event was held outside? I thought it has to be indoors hmmm :?: . 33 seconds sounds pretty good, how high did you launch your rocket? (since it's outside...)

Xiangyu
Don't take this too seriously, it's likely not as impressive as it seems. I once saw a parachute fly away after launching it outside (I have videos lol). Also, there's no height limit either
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

honestly, launching outside is so inconsistent and very susceptible to changing winds and other factors. There's also the risk that it will rain (like in NJ 2017 states)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
sciolynoob

Post by sciolynoob »

CookiePie1 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm honestly, launching outside is so inconsistent and very susceptible to changing winds and other factors. There's also the risk that it will rain (like in NJ 2017 states)
There was a div b team whos ping pong parachute got blown upwards and it went over the street bc of wind lol

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”