How do you guys form your cheat sheets?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: How do you guys form your cheat sheets?

Post by BennyTheJett »

GDocs, Font: Barlow Condensed, Size: 6pt, Margins: .25 inches
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

I've got a question which I'm not sure goes here or not, but here it is:
In binder events, can I put a book in my binder?
By the spirit of the rules, it's a yes - especially if I secure it with binder clips enough to ensure it doesn't fall out when shaken upside down.
Further, the rules states information of any sort is allowed in the binder so long as it is secured, and as stated above it is.
So it abides by both the spirit of the rules (given that scanning the entire book and printing+holepunching it in would have the same effect) and the actual rules.
However, some competitions have expressed some reservations about this.
What do you guys think the ruling is?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

JoeyC wrote: January 19th, 2020, 7:14 pm I've got a question which I'm not sure goes here or not, but here it is:
In binder events, can I put a book in my binder?
By the spirit of the rules, it's a yes - especially if I secure it with binder clips enough to ensure it doesn't fall out when shaken upside down.
"Information in any form" would include a book. But note that at least some binder events require the contents to be secured with the binder rings, and some events require that the material not be removed from the binder. It might be difficult to manage a book with those constraints.
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Thanks Knightmoves!

Each team may bring one 2” or smaller three-ring binder, as measured by the interior diameter of the
rings, containing information in any form and from any source. Sheet protectors, lamination, tabs, and
labels are permitted. If the event features a rotation through a series of laboratory stations where the
participants interact with samples, specimens, or displays; no material may be removed from the binder
throughout the event.

These are the event parameter rules for Dynamic Planet.
It doesn't seem to specify that it has to be within the rings; however, it doesn't include binder clips - which are the main securing mechanism, though I could switch to duct tape. The book is navigable when clipped into the binder and has proved a very valuable asset in past competitions.
The last part is a bit weird, however - it seems to phrase the "no materials may be removed" part as a conditional if there is a rotation in the event. However, while that makes some sense, that's not how its worked in the past (at least to my limited knowledge), and further the phrases don't seem directly related.
Can I have some more clarification? (sorry)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Yeah. If I was running DP up in the arctic Wisconsin, I'd consider that legal. However, in my past experience in DP and other events, a lot of proctors disliked me taking a field guide, even though it was legal and attached. To avoid this hassle I've just photocopied it in. Also, what book are you using? I'm very curious. My partner and I usually have very limited information in the binder, so having a book is pretty foreign to me.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

JoeyC wrote: January 19th, 2020, 7:57 pm These are the event parameter rules for Dynamic Planet.
It doesn't seem to specify that it has to be within the rings; however, it doesn't include binder clips - which are the main securing mechanism, though I could switch to duct tape. The book is navigable when clipped into the binder and has proved a very valuable asset in past competitions.
The last part is a bit weird, however - it seems to phrase the "no materials may be removed" part as a conditional if there is a rotation in the event. However, while that makes some sense, that's not how its worked in the past (at least to my limited knowledge), and further the phrases don't seem directly related.
Can I have some more clarification? (sorry)
My interpretation of the last part has always been no removal of stuff when the event is in stations just so that you don't leave stuff at other stations, forget it, accidentally scatter your binder across the room while moving it, idk. I always just figured it's more of a safety precaution for competitiors who maybe aren't adept at handling their binders, but eh maybe there is a reason I'm missing.

The rules read this way for Geologic Mapping last year (and this year) and we never encountered a stations test (thankfully ahaha) so we never had a problem removing stuff from the binder for our convenience. I'm not sure how long this phrasing has been in effect, but it's been at least since last season lol

In terms of your actual question, I see no reason why not lol. I've heard of many people doing this, and as long as it follows the rules, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to! After all, when you make a binder, it's kind of just like your own textbook you create? (Although maybe they'd want you making the textbook? But how could they enforce that... whatever this is a needless chain of questions haha sorry)
BennyTheJett wrote:Also, what book are you using? I'm very curious. My partner and I usually have very limited information in the binder, so having a book is pretty foreign to me.
I'd be interested to hear what book too lol our binder is a little small and can always use some more info! (not trying to turn this into a DP discussion thread though oops)
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
cursedinlife
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cursedinlife »

In WQ, I just give the information in docs, and we would have practice sessions where we convert to word
2018-2019 Events: Water Quality 8-) Potions And Poisons <3 Herpetology :?:
2019-2020: Water Quality :geek: Ornithologist <3 Boomilever 8-)

Return to “General Competition”