Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MadCow2357 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:54 am
Crimesolver wrote: January 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm does anyone have any ideas of reducing skidding once the car stops? The has been recently skidding at the very end of my runs, and I would like to know how to solve this problem other than moving the ramp around.
Is your test surface clean? You probably already do this, but if not it's a good idea to start swiffering the track before runs. Trying to brake efficiently without skidding is very hard when your wheels are on a dusty surface. Pretty sure these effects will be magnified this year as well because of how heavy the vehicles are this year.
Alternatively just don't add weight
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

sciolyperson1 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
Crimesolver wrote: January 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm does anyone have any ideas of reducing skidding once the car stops? The has been recently skidding at the very end of my runs, and I would like to know how to solve this problem other than moving the ramp around.
Is your test surface clean? You probably already do this, but if not it's a good idea to start swiffering the track before runs. Trying to brake efficiently without skidding is very hard when your wheels are on a dusty surface. Pretty sure these effects will be magnified this year as well because of how heavy the vehicles are this year.
Would not adding weight slow down the car?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 9th, 2020, 2:14 pm
On my car, if I don’t add weight it would only go about 9 meters. So I have a ~800g weight over my rear axle
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 9th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Adding weight over the braking axle reduces skidding, and provides momentum. It doesn't slow down the car because the car is being launched by gravity, and so it falls at the same rate as a lighter car (technically faster bc of the reduced surface area to weight ratio)
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

Interesting clarification:
(Section: 2 / Line: 1)
01/05/2020
ARE TEAMS FROM THE SAME SCHOOL ALLOWED TO SHARE A RAMP?
Yes; teams from the same school may share a ramp if it is it compatible with their vehicle.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

CPScienceDude wrote: January 15th, 2020, 12:31 pm Interesting clarification:
(Section: 2 / Line: 1)
01/05/2020
ARE TEAMS FROM THE SAME SCHOOL ALLOWED TO SHARE A RAMP?
Yes; teams from the same school may share a ramp if it is it compatible with their vehicle.
Very "interesting". Also seems to be in conflict with General Rule 4 (All pre-built devices presented for judging must be constructed, impounded, and operated by one or more of the 15 current team members unless stated otherwise in the rules.) and Rule 1 of the Gravity Vehicle Event (Teams design, build, and test one Vehicle and Ramp...)

But it is an official clarification, and therefore the rule, whatever I think of it. (And I can see the merits - ramps are bulky, and if allowing teams to share ramps allows more kids to compete, that's a good thing.)

Still, how often have you seen a school's JV team show up to a build event with a device that looks different from what their varsity team had? What I usually see is that the JV team(s) and the V team all have copies of the same design. In some cases, the V kids are explaining to the JV kids how to operate the device whilst waiting in line to impound it.
fyuan483
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fyuan483 »

i’m new to this event and i understand that the target point is 9-12m, but in the rules i read that the target point is chosen after impound. is it chosen or it is between 9-12m?
Vortexx2

Post by Vortexx2 »

fyuan483 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm i’m new to this event and i understand that the target point is 9-12m, but in the rules i read that the target point is chosen after impound. is it chosen or it is between 9-12m?
The target point is chosen after impound. However, whatever target point they choose must be within 9-12m.
8th grade events: Mission Possible and Hovercraft.
High School: Codebusters, Designer genes, Gravity Vehicle, Mission Possible, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Boomilever, Protein Modeling.

It's been a heck of a ride, vortexx out.
fyuan483
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fyuan483 »

after impound and the target point is chosen, we have to adjust our brake system to stop at that distance right?
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

fyuan483 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:12 pm after impound and the target point is chosen, we have to adjust our brake system to stop at that distance right?
Yes, you have to do it on site.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”