Detector Building C

absolutezerok3
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by absolutezerok3 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm I just tested my device in freezing water and then boiling water to make a new calibration equation. I was able to record voltage readings for both temperatures, but upon removing the sensor from the boiling water, it began reading temperatures around 75 C for room temperature. If I let it rest, it goes back down to normal, but just moving the sensor causes it to shoot up to 60-80 C. What could be a reason for this? I am using an LM35 temperature sensor which is waterproofed with heat shrinks and clear nail polish.
There several problems that you could have. One could be that there is water in your sensor. Whenever water got in mine, I noticed the variance of my data go to the roof, but it could be be affecting yours. Another possibility is a problem with your code. LM35 is a linear sensor, so if you use Steinhart you're going to get a terrible reading. Last of all, you might have blown out your sensor. I've done it with a few by putting too much voltage through it or wiring it wrong and it works for a while but then is completely off.
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
MgEHS22

Post by MgEHS22 »

I have a quick question, say I were to be running the detector of an arduino, and I coded it on a raspberry pi, can I use a portable usb charger to power the raspberry pi when I set the temperature ranges for the lights?
Thanks!
YeagerTheCat

Post by YeagerTheCat »

MgEHS22 wrote: I have a quick question, say I were to be running the detector of an arduino, and I coded it on a raspberry pi, can I use a portable usb charger to power the raspberry pi when I set the temperature ranges for the lights?
Thanks!
If you don't use mains power I certainly see no reason why not. Sounds perfectly legal to me.
nmurali2002

Post by nmurali2002 »

The top-down photograph requires "labels identifying all components and detailing their functions". For anyone who has done this event (or an ES) does that mean I need to label every resistor, every wire, and all of the pins on the Arduino I am using?
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

nmurali2002 wrote: The top-down photograph requires "labels identifying all components and detailing their functions". For anyone who has done this event (or an ES) does that mean I need to label every resistor, every wire, and all of the pins on the Arduino I am using?
I remember just labeling the arduino, power supply, resistors, potentiometer, lcd, leds, and temperature sensor. I also color coded my wires and made a key below to indicate the purpose that each color wire served. I don't think the second part was necessary but I know we got full points on the design diagram at an invitational (I wasn't there because it conflicted with my SAT). I don't believe you have to label every pin either. I would get more opinions though because a different ES might interpret this rule differently.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

nmurali2002 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 1:26 pm The top-down photograph requires "labels identifying all components and detailing their functions". For anyone who has done this event (or an ES) does that mean I need to label every resistor, every wire, and all of the pins on the Arduino I am using?
A wire is not usually "a component", but you'd certainly have to label every resistor, and I would think labeling the arduino pins would be a good idea.
hyoung
State: CA

Post by hyoung »

The FAQs have confused me to no end. Here are my questions as it stands:

1) Is it legal to solder components to a perfboard - i.e., no breadboard, but no custom designed PCB either? (If not, am I allowed to solder components directly to the breadboard? How about strip the cover off the breadboard, just take the copper connections, and solder to that? Yes, I'm being slightly ridiculous here, but I'd like to solder the thing.)
2) Is it legal to write a separate program - not in the code running the sensor - that calculates the coefficients, and then copy paste the coefficients over into the code of the main program?
3) Is it legal to use serial port libraries, libraries for communication with an ADC, and similar non-temperature/thermistor related libraries on the Arduino?
4) Is an ADC legal?
5) Are any ICs that 'have pins' legal, so to speak? E.g., op amps, ADCs, etc, etc, as long as I could theoretically plug them into a breadboard or solder them onto a perfboard? Obviously I don't mean some magic temperature sensor thing.
6) Are we allowed to calibrate at comp with supervisor water (this is literally necessary to calibrate to the supervisor's thermometer instead of our own at states, and also just nice)?
7) How the heck can I guarantee that we won't inadvertently get hit with some FAQ/rules clarification I have no idea about? I have read through the FAQs but find them unbelievably confusing and contradictory. Good lord, I did Mission Possible last year which was a royal pain (I say lovingly) and had plenty of FAQs because it was such a complicated (many parts) event, but it was nowhere near as bad as this (for a temperature sensor! I mean, really)?

Asking as I'm about to undertake a rebuild of our device. Thanks.
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

hyoung wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 12:16 pm The FAQs have confused me to no end. Here are my questions as it stands:

1) Is it legal to solder components to a perfboard - i.e., no breadboard, but no custom designed PCB either? (If not, am I allowed to solder components directly to the breadboard? How about strip the cover off the breadboard, just take the copper connections, and solder to that? Yes, I'm being slightly ridiculous here, but I'd like to solder the thing.)
Probably? I'm using a solder breadboard and haven't had any trouble, so it should be 100% legal. I carry materials to build on the spot in my setup time if need be, though.
2) Is it legal to write a separate program - not in the code running the sensor - that calculates the coefficients, and then copy paste the coefficients over into the code of the main program?
I would think that this would be essentially the same as programming your calculator to do steinhart-hart, which you're allowed to do.
3) Is it legal to use serial port libraries, libraries for communication with an ADC, and similar non-temperature/thermistor related libraries on the Arduino?
Nobody knows, but it seems like the spirit of the rules is to ban prebuilt thermistor libraries, not libraries that come with arduino.
4) Is an ADC legal?
As long as it is a dip IC, it appears so.
5) Are any ICs that 'have pins' legal, so to speak? E.g., op amps, ADCs, etc, etc, as long as I could theoretically plug them into a breadboard or solder them onto a perfboard? Obviously I don't mean some magic temperature sensor thing.
Looks like all dip ICs are legal, and no other ICs.
6) Are we allowed to calibrate at comp with supervisor water (this is literally necessary to calibrate to the supervisor's thermometer instead of our own at states, and also just nice)?
It says in the rules that hot water, warm water, and mixing containers must be provided at states and nats.
7) How the heck can I guarantee that we won't inadvertently get hit with some FAQ/rules clarification I have no idea about? I have read through the FAQs but find them unbelievably confusing and contradictory. Good lord, I did Mission Possible last year which was a royal pain (I say lovingly) and had plenty of FAQs because it was such a complicated (many parts) event, but it was nowhere near as bad as this (for a temperature sensor! I mean, really)?

Asking as I'm about to undertake a rebuild of our device. Thanks.
Someone made an app somewhere for FAQ updates, but I just check regularly. Good luck with your rebuild!
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
fyuan483
State: NY

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. the temperatures are chosen after all teams are at competition site right?
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

fyuan483 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:36 pm hi. the temperatures are chosen after all teams are at competition site right?
Temperatures are not chosen. The event supervisor will measure the temperature with your calibration thermometer at the same time as you and will take the reading from there as you take your reading from your device.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage

Return to “Detector Building C”