Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Chemistry Lab C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
shadowhunter
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by shadowhunter »

this is my partner and i's first year doing this event. what should we expect during the test?
once i told a chemistry joke, there was no reaction. lol.
splane21

Post by splane21 »

shadowhunter wrote: November 17th, 2019, 8:46 pm this is my partner and i's first year doing this event. what should we expect during the test?
A test with chemistry questions (mostly focused on solutions and acids/bases but I've seen tests with random stuff from chemistry as well) and a lab. The test is usually formatted differently based on the difficulty of the invite (MC at easier invites versus all frq/mixed at harder invites). Additionally, there should be at least one lab. One of the labs was almost always a titration last year so make sure you can do those well. Essentially make sure you have mastered everything in the rules as well as other general Chemistry concepts as the rules really don't cover everything that is usually tested in this event at most competitions.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
waterlubber
State: NY

Post by waterlubber »

Anyone have any good practice labs (especially for titrations)? New to the event this year, and although I'm generally decent at thinking on my feet I'm pretty certain that won't work for Chem.

I suppose I could use others tests, etc, but I'd like to try some non-SO labs as well, especially harder ones, just to make sure I have all my bases covered.
Kellenberg Div. C D (rip States 2020)
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
Victim of the great CoVID Bamboozle of 2020.
Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 »

For chem lab are the people supposed to provide glassware and stuff for the lab or no, cuz it says they should on the event guidelines but last year we had to bring our own
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

Chameleon02 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:01 am For chem lab are the people supposed to provide glassware and stuff for the lab or no, cuz it says they should on the event guidelines but last year we had to bring our own
The rules state that event supervisors must provide any "additional glassware" required for the tasks given. At the end of the rules, there's a chart listing the glassware and lab equipment that participants should bring. It would be best for you to bring everything listed, as the event supervisors don't need to provide those materials. Any additional materials not listed, like burets or volumetric flasks or scales, should be provided.
ntso
quack quack
Chameleon02
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 »

Hey guys, I had a question on content that could be tested for an invitational. If someone could please reply that would be great as I have one next week. Regarding testable content for invitationals, the rules state that buffer reactions are limited to states and nationals. Do half-equivalence reactions count as buffer reactions, and could they be tested at an invite? Ex: calculating the pH halfway to the equivalence point, at the equivalence point, etc.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
splane21

Post by splane21 »

Chameleon02 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 6:29 pm Hey guys, I had a question on content that could be tested for an invitational. If someone could please reply that would be great as I have one next week. Regarding testable content for invitationals, the rules state that buffer reactions are limited to states and nationals. Do half-equivalence reactions count as buffer reactions, and could they be tested at an invite? Ex: calculating the pH halfway to the equivalence point, at the equivalence point, etc.

I would say half-equivalence points are fair game as they are relatively simple and I will argue that they fall under the titration category. I have included half-equivalence points on tests I've written for invites under that argument. Equivalence points definitely as equivalence points don't require knowledge of buffers to solve. I would say titration problems that ask you to solve for pH at other points before the equivalence point might be unlikely if following regionals rules though as it's a calculation using Henderson-Hasselback.

As a general rule of thumb for chem lab, a lot of supervisors include anything related to acids/bases or aqueous solutions unless it's explicitly banned in the rules as the rules for chem lab are not very encompassing. Thus, I would say you could be tested on anything as long as it isn't indicator theory.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

Are titrations (or related-ish) labs the only ones we can expect? What else might there be?
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
splane21

Post by splane21 »

Galahad wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:07 pm Are titrations (or related-ish) labs the only ones we can expect? What else might there be?
According to the rules, an example is "Use freezing point depression to determine molar mass of a solute"

There are definitely a lot of labs with aqueous solutions that don't involve titrations such as qualitative analysis of cations/anions.

Keep in mind also at higher level invites and states/nationals the lab may not be a simple titration but will be multiple steps. Also higher level competitions tend to have multiple labs and only one lab may be a titration.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

Return to “2020 Lab Events”