Detector Building C

l0lit
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by l0lit »

fyuan483 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:36 pm hi. the temperatures are chosen after all teams are at competition site right?
If you meant the temperature ranges for the LEDs, then yes you will only know the ranges once you walk into the testing room and they start.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
fyuan483
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by fyuan483 »

l0lit wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:02 am
fyuan483 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:36 pm hi. the temperatures are chosen after all teams are at competition site right?
If you meant the temperature ranges for the LEDs, then yes you will only know the ranges once you walk into the testing room and they start.
yes i meant this. thank you for clearing this up.
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Sorry if this was answered already, but on the rules it states that you might be required to display more than one LED color at a time. In other words, the ranges will overlap. How would one do this?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 29th, 2020, 5:05 pm Sorry if this was answered already, but on the rules it states that you might be required to display more than one LED color at a time. In other words, the ranges will overlap. How would one do this?
How is having multiple LEDs on at once any more difficult than having a single LED on at once?
fyuan483

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. i was wondering how many program codes do we need in total? is it one program code for the led lights, one for the analog, one for the temperature, and one for the voltage? Or is it like combining some programs together?
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

fyuan483 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 3:59 pm hi. i was wondering how many program codes do we need in total? is it one program code for the led lights, one for the analog, one for the temperature, and one for the voltage? Or is it like combining some programs together?
Do whatever works for your device.
If you’re asking about logs, my highlights are on one set of code instead of multiple copies
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
fyuan483

Post by fyuan483 »

lindsmaurer wrote: January 30th, 2020, 4:28 pm
fyuan483 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 3:59 pm hi. i was wondering how many program codes do we need in total? is it one program code for the led lights, one for the analog, one for the temperature, and one for the voltage? Or is it like combining some programs together?
Do whatever works for your device.
If you’re asking about logs, my highlights are on one set of code instead of multiple copies
so there is not a restricted amount of codes? i just need a program(s) to make my device work right?
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

LIPX3 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:37 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 29th, 2020, 5:05 pm Sorry if this was answered already, but on the rules it states that you might be required to display more than one LED color at a time. In other words, the ranges will overlap. How would one do this?
How is having multiple LEDs on at once any more difficult than having a single LED on at once?
For a single LED at once, you only need 3 temperature ranges, one for each LED. But if part of one range requires two LEDs to be on but another part of that range requires only one LED to be on, how would you do this? I tried making 5 temperature ranges, 3 for a single LED and 2 for multiple LEDs, but compound inequalities don't seem to work in the arduino code. Did I just misinterpret the rules?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 30th, 2020, 7:26 pm
For a single LED at once, you only need 3 temperature ranges, one for each LED. But if part of one range requires two LEDs to be on but another part of that range requires only one LED to be on, how would you do this? I tried making 5 temperature ranges, 3 for a single LED and 2 for multiple LEDs, but compound inequalities don't seem to work in the arduino code. Did I just misinterpret the rules?
That's where the beauty of multiple "else if" statements can help you. The code will select the first case that is true and run the code inside. In this case, if temp = 33, it would skip over the first block of code and move to the second block, triggering the red and blue LEDs simultaneously.

Code: Select all

if (temp < 25) {
  // Red Only
  redLED(on); 
  greenLED(off); 
  blueLED(off);
} else if (temp < 35) {
  // Red and Blue
  redLED(on);
  greenLED(off);
  blueLED(on);
} else if (temp < 50) {
  // Green Only
  redLED(off); 
  greenLED(on); 
  blueLED(off);
} else if (temp < 75) {
  // Blue Only
  redLED(off);
  greenLED(off);
  blueLED(on);
}
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

pepperonipi wrote: January 30th, 2020, 8:13 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 30th, 2020, 7:26 pm
That's where the beauty of multiple "else if" statements can help you. The code will select the first case that is true and run the code inside. In this case, if temp = 33, it would skip over the first block of code and move to the second block, triggering the red and blue LEDs simultaneously.

Code: Select all

if (temp < 25) {
  // Red Only
  redLED(on); 
  greenLED(off); 
  blueLED(off);
} else if (temp < 35) {
  // Red and Blue
  redLED(on);
  greenLED(off);
  blueLED(on);
} else if (temp < 50) {
  // Green Only
  redLED(off); 
  greenLED(on); 
  blueLED(off);
} else if (temp < 75) {
  // Blue Only
  redLED(off);
  greenLED(off);
  blueLED(on);
}
This provides a sufficient example. There's no need to make 5 temperature ranges - just make each temperature range control the LEDs as required.

Return to “Detector Building C”