Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

nateDC
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

Post by nateDC »

Havocgamer49 wrote: November 11th, 2019, 11:50 am Hi all,

I had a question about the rules, the part where it says in dii. "no part of the device can be within 10 cm of the ball in any direction." Is this restriction only IF you want the extra 150 points, or is this overall mandatory for the 250 points one gets from the final action

Thanks in advance,

-Your Fellow Science Olympian
The restriction is only if you want the bonus. If you complete the Final Action you get 250 pts. If you then move it away, you get an extra 150 pts.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
Phenakism
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Phenakism »

LittleMissNyan wrote: October 10th, 2019, 10:14 am
kinghong1970 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 10:47 am
knightmoves wrote: September 27th, 2019, 9:57 am

Well, as "tee holder" isn't defined, then your entire device base can be a "tee holder" as long as it is more than 2.5cm below the top of the golf tee.
true that in case of ES interpretation conflict, there is that to rely upon... but wonder if we can mount other action parts on the base and still have base to be considered the Tee Holder...

thanks anyways, i guess we have to see if they clarify this one.

IF THE TEE HOLDER IS MOUNTED ONTO THE WALL OR BASE OF THE DEVICE, DOES THE WALL AND BASE COUNT AS PART OF THE DEVICE AND SUBJECT TO THE 10CM CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT OF THE RULE?
The wall or base may be considered as part of the "tee holder" and would not be subject to the 10cm clearance requirement. However, the top of the tee must still be at least 2.5 cm above any part of the "tee holder".
Does this mean that you cannot attach your tee holder to the wall, since the wall is part of the tee holder and therefore would rise above the 2.5cm it is required to be below the tee?
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Phenakism wrote: November 14th, 2019, 7:12 pm
kinghong1970 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 10:47 am

true that in case of ES interpretation conflict, there is that to rely upon... but wonder if we can mount other action parts on the base and still have base to be considered the Tee Holder...

thanks anyways, i guess we have to see if they clarify this one.

IF THE TEE HOLDER IS MOUNTED ONTO THE WALL OR BASE OF THE DEVICE, DOES THE WALL AND BASE COUNT AS PART OF THE DEVICE AND SUBJECT TO THE 10CM CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT OF THE RULE?
The wall or base may be considered as part of the "tee holder" and would not be subject to the 10cm clearance requirement. However, the top of the tee must still be at least 2.5 cm above any part of the "tee holder".
Does this mean that you cannot attach your tee holder to the wall, since the wall is part of the tee holder and therefore would rise above the 2.5cm it is required to be below the tee?
Yup! Though technically you could attach the tee to the top of the wall, and then you'd have to figure out how to get the ball all the way up there.....
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
AwesomeSauceis1
Has thanked: 0

Post by AwesomeSauceis1 »

LittleMissNyan wrote: November 15th, 2019, 5:06 am

Yup! Though technically you could attach the tee to the top of the wall, and then you'd have to figure out how to get the ball all the way up there.....

I think that the clarification means that you may only consider the wall/base as part of the tee holder if the top of the tee is at least 2.5 cm above said wall/base. You are not required to call it part of the tee holder, although I could be misinterpreting it.
Phenakism

Post by Phenakism »

AwesomeSauceis1 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:22 am

I think that the clarification means that you may only consider the wall/base as part of the tee holder if the top of the tee is at least 2.5 cm above said wall/base. You are not required to call it part of the tee holder, although I could be misinterpreting it.
Thanks for the clarification. Wait does that mean you can't classify the wall as the tee holder and therefore have to have the tee be 10cm away from any wall?
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
nateDC
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

Phenakism wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:09 am
AwesomeSauceis1 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:22 am

Thanks for the clarification. Wait does that mean you can't classify the wall as the tee holder and therefore have to have the tee be 10cm away from any wall?
You can have the tee under 10 cm from a wall. However to get the bonus points no part of the device can be within 10 cm of the outside edge of the golf ball. So yes that means the wall can't be the tee holder.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
kiwibird
State: NC

Post by kiwibird »

I have found a way to safely deposit the golf ball onto the tee from 10 cm away. Would this get me the bonus points, or would it just be the regular amount, since the device that places the ball on the tee is already 10 cm away, not "automatically" moved away?
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

kiwibird wrote: January 30th, 2020, 5:07 pm I have found a way to safely deposit the golf ball onto the tee from 10 cm away. Would this get me the bonus points, or would it just be the regular amount, since the device that places the ball on the tee is already 10 cm away, not "automatically" moved away?
Ooh nice! Yeah I think that would count because they're just looking for the 10 cm area
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
kjlokesh

Post by kjlokesh »

kiwibird wrote: January 30th, 2020, 5:07 pm I have found a way to safely deposit the golf ball onto the tee from 10 cm away. Would this get me the bonus points, or would it just be the regular amount, since the device that places the ball on the tee is already 10 cm away, not "automatically" moved away?
Nice!! To get the bonus you should 10 cm clearance from all directions including the base.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

kjlokesh wrote: January 31st, 2020, 7:14 am Nice!! To get the bonus you should 10 cm clearance from all directions including the base.
Not so.

The tee and tee holder may be within 10cm. The base of your device can count as part of the tee holder.

From the FAQ:

10/08/2019
If the Tee Holder is mounted onto the wall or base of the Device, does the wall and base count as part of the device and subject to the 10cm clearance requirement of the rule?

Return to “Mission Possible B”