2020-2021 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
MacintoshJosh
Division: C
State: VA

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by MacintoshJosh »

Name wrote: February 9th, 2020, 2:38 pm
violaflute wrote: February 9th, 2020, 1:51 pm nooo no div c codebusters!! what are the chances of code being included anyway or coming back for 2022?
basically 0. It'd probably come back in '23

I get replacing code, but really? game on?
Yeah, I am just confused sometimes by how Science Olympiad decides these events. I thought Game On was generally agreed upon to be a bad event, but I guess... it's not? Luckily, Virginia chooses not to run Game On, and I'm hoping it'll be replaced by Code, though it probably won't.
LIPX3
Has thanked: 0

Post by LIPX3 »

MacintoshJosh wrote: February 9th, 2020, 4:28 pm
violaflute wrote: February 9th, 2020, 1:51 pm nooo no div c codebusters!! what are the chances of code being included anyway or coming back for 2022?

Yeah, I am just confused sometimes by how Science Olympiad decides these events. I thought Game On was generally agreed upon to be a bad event, but I guess... it's not? Luckily, Virginia chooses not to run Game On, and I'm hoping it'll be replaced by Code, though it probably won't.
From how I understand, Science Olympiad as a whole doesn't select the events - the committees do. Again, I might be wrong, but this is what I have heard.
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

LIPX3 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:29 am

From how I understand, Science Olympiad as a whole doesn't select the events - the committees do. Again, I might be wrong, but this is what I have heard.
Yeah they have different committees for certain sciences(Physics, Chem, etc.) that select events, but still...
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

MacintoshJosh wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:42 am Yeah they have different committees for certain sciences(Physics, Chem, etc.) that select events, but still...
Game On is an Inquiry / Nature of Science event.

They have Experimental Design and WIDI that come back every year.

Their other events have included: Ping Pong Parachute, Game On, Codebusters, Fermi Questions, Mystery Architecture, Picture This, Fast Facts, Awesome Aquifers, Hydrogeology...

So there's a bit of a mixed bag.

In terms of "how to think about science" it would be nice to see an event based around doing a statistical analysis (and getting it right) but it's hard to imagine how that could be gradeable.
SOPomo
Has thanked: 0

Post by SOPomo »

If anything ever deserved a one-year run, it's Ping Pong Parachute, especially with NorCal's outdoor rules. Whoever best caught the wind gust, congrats on your medals!
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MacintoshJosh wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:42 am
Yeah they have different committees for certain sciences(Physics, Chem, etc.) that select events, but still...
Not really true. The committees make recommendations, but the Executive Board makes the final decision on events chosen. I don't know how often the recommendation differs from the final list - I would expect it's relatively uncommon but not unheard of.

Game On certainly doesn't have the greatest of reputations among competitors, especially in Division C. But, a few other recent past Inquiry events have had worse reputations.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

Unome wrote: February 10th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Not really true. The committees make recommendations, but the Executive Board makes the final decision on events chosen. I don't know how often the recommendation differs from the final list - I would expect it's relatively uncommon but not unheard of.

Game On certainly doesn't have the greatest of reputations among competitors, especially in Division C. But, a few other recent past Inquiry events have had worse reputations.
Pentathlon lol
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

From my understanding, each of the committees still select the events, the National Board only gets to approve or disapprove. I'm pretty sure the National Board aren't the ones selecting and coming up with events.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MacintoshJosh wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:06 pm

From my understanding, each of the committees still select the events, the National Board only gets to approve or disapprove. I'm pretty sure the National Board aren't the ones selecting and coming up with events.
I don't know the exact details of the process, but this is basically right.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

knightmoves wrote: February 10th, 2020, 12:35 pm In terms of "how to think about science" it would be nice to see an event based around doing a statistical analysis (and getting it right) but it's hard to imagine how that could be gradeable.
*cough* Data Science! *cough*
...not that I've ran it, but it's actually been ran as a trial! I am a fan that has mused the idea myself, but never got to figuring it all out...I imagine it has to slot into inquiry as well as involve stats;).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “General Competition”