EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Pennsylvania 2020

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Sc1olygod wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:11 am Cv really looked like they really dropped off in between Battle at Valley Forge and Solon. They beat rustin superscored by over 60, and then lost to them by over 30 at solon. I think Rustin is either pushing forward or CV is struggling to improve. We saw this same situation last season as well.
I'm more inclined to believe Rustin wasn't at their strongest at BVF, and that they improved. Rustin has a history of strengthening as the year goes on. I doubt that there was any significant fall-off in CV's performance.
CrayolaCrayon wrote: February 12th, 2020, 6:09 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: February 11th, 2020, 6:55 pm
As more time goes on, the more convinced I become that Lower Merion is competing with Shady Side for 4th. However, Princeton was their best performance so far. SOUP will go a long way in seeing if LM can put some distance between them and SSA.
What in particular makes you think LM is near 4th? Nothing against your predictions, I'm trying to understand the rationale of putting them at 4th, when at Princeton, their stacked score nearly matched Rustins.
Over my years of analysis, I have developed a school of thought that fully stacking exaggerates the placement of teams that were very unstacked. That's why I like taking the average of the stacked score and the score of that school's best placed team, as it balances scores out a little back in favor of teams that attained scores with one combination of 15 participants. If LM does really well at SOUP, I'm not against putting them back into the conversation for 2nd/3rd, but I haven't seen it from them yet.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
EastVikingsSciOly
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by EastVikingsSciOly »

wait wouldn't shipley be in the same division as lower merion aka SE North or am I mistaken?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

EastVikingsSciOly wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:35 am wait wouldn't shipley be in the same division as lower merion aka SE North or am I mistaken?
Geographically, they would be, but currently they are listed as being registered for SE South. It could be due to a time conflict or something of that sort. Or it could just be a mistake on the website.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

nendawen

Post by nendawen »

Some schools were granted 1 year waivers to attend the opposite regional because of conflict. Next year everyone should be in their correct region.
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

they released bids for states. 39 this year in division C though :O
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
nendawen

Post by nendawen »

nendawen

Post by nendawen »

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Wow, I can't say I expected states to expand to 39 teams in C Division but I love it. I'm all for having more teams at states, especially with the recent expansion of that division. The impact of the Urban regional has also had a clear impact, with the amount of Philly teams now registered for SE North. I think kudos should be rightfully given to PASO for doing a good job in expanding the HS numbers and generally running a tight ship year in and year out.

As for who this benefits, it really opens up opportunities for teams beyond Perk Valley in SE North. Also, it clears up Northeast quite a bit, as Dallas, Wyoming Area, and Wallenpaupack are no longer competing for two spots. I think it is safe to say now that SE South is going to be the toughest road to states.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

If you all would stop spamming, it would be much appreciated. This thread is for the discussion of Pennsylvania Science Olympiad, and is not for useless conversations. Please take it somewhere else.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
nendawen

Post by nendawen »

Dude, what are you talking about? East Burg and I were talking about PA regional and state numbers...

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”