Superregional

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Re: Superregional

Post by pikachu4919 » February 12th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Name wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 6:21 pm
wait sorry guys i forgot indiana was relevant oops
In fact, for a long time up until recently, we used to have two bids in each division...
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

Name
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Name » February 12th, 2020, 7:34 pm

JoeyC wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 6:46 pm
So our team just went out of state for the first time to the Brown Invitational, and we managed to beat all of the teams there except Acton-Boxborough and Syosset (and we probably could have beat Syosset if our connecting flight hadn't gotten cancelled and we were then able to get more than 15 minutes of sleep). For our first jaunt outside of Texas, against national-level teams and with a non-stacked, sleep deprived team, I feel this is definitely a testament to our strength.
We were missing a good chunk of our team and also straight up got dead last in gravity despite having one? But lol y'all were very impressive. Just wondering- why did y'all choose to come to brown? It's really far away for a smallish invite.
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2/3
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3/8
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist » February 12th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Fascinating topic. Alas it would be a logistical nightmare i'm sure...
My idea would be to take a ranking system and probably combine it with this idea on a smaller scale.
Ranking System Prototype
Has previously qualified for nationals in the past 1 year. 100 Points.
Has previously qualified for nationals in the past 5 years. 75 Points.
Has not qualified for nationals previously. 50 points.
Top 2 finish at state. 50 points.
Top 5 finish at state. 25 points.
Now you have teams with similar point values going to the same Super regional.
Ex:
(New Trier: 150 points Munster 150 Points) Chicago Super Regional
(Naperville North: 75 Points Lake Central: 75 points Marquette: 75 points) Purdue Super Regional
Of course once again there's a logistical issue but it would prevent unfair super stacking from power states like IL dominating IN teams and etc.
Ideas for improvements anyone? A ranking system is the fairest solution I have to stop strong teams from steamrolling less powerful states in a Super Regional scenario.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

demir
State: FL

Post by demir » February 12th, 2020, 7:54 pm

I like the idea of superregionals but I would keep their numbers low.
  • Five super regions of 10-11 states about 1500 memberships in each:West, South/Central, Midwest, Northeast and Southeast
    48 (or so) teams
    Each state sends at least two teams. The rest is allocated by membership.
    Each super region sends 12 teams to national
    Any state winner that places in Top 20 at their super region qualifies to Nationals
    A state cannot send more than 3(?) teams to national.
The biggest challenge to super regions, other than national office :?: , is the schedule. There should be a coordination between states and sufficient spacing between state, superregional and national. I think that is a quite daunting task.

jaggie34
Has thanked: 0

Post by jaggie34 » February 12th, 2020, 8:15 pm

demir wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 7:54 pm
The biggest challenge to super regions, other than national office :?: , is the schedule. There should be a coordination between states and sufficient spacing between state, superregional and national. I think that is a quite daunting task.
I actually think the biggest issue (also other than the national office) would be keeping everyone happy, as teams placed in a difficult super region that suddenly makes it more difficult to get to nationals would obviously be upset, especially with difficulty balancing the super regions. An option could be reassigning states to new super regions if there are glaring issues with the competitiveness of its current region.
Boca Raton Community High School
Events: Circuit Lab, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Codebusters
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion (until they come back :D )
I like circuits :idea:
Click here to meet my hero!

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 » February 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm

jaggie34 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:15 pm
demir wrote:
I actually think the biggest issue (also other than the national office) would be keeping everyone happy, as teams placed in a difficult super region that suddenly makes it more difficult to get to nationals would obviously be upset, especially with difficulty balancing the super regions. An option could be reassigning states to new super regions if there are glaring issues with the competitiveness of its current region.
In general it would be difficult to balance difficulty, superregional size, geographical distance, and other factors such as state sizes. In an optimal scenario, states like NY would need to refrain from being grouped with New England states such as Maine, but be grouped together with states like PA, so that their superregion does not just send all NY teams.

For example, superregion J (Southern California, Hawaii, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado) in your example will be completely dominated by SoCal; it would be difficult to have any teams from Hawaii, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, or Colorado make it.

One solution, since you proposed a total of 10 regions, is to give each state a minimum of one bid. (Total 50 bids). One extra bid can be given to each superregional to be distributed to the next top team.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 1 :(
Rate my tests!

pb5754
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 » February 12th, 2020, 8:39 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm
For example, superregion J (Southern California, Hawaii, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado) in your example will be completely dominated by SoCal; it would be difficult to have any teams from Hawaii, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, or Colorado make it.
ed w. clark would probably be able to qualify
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21

SilverBreeze
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze » February 12th, 2020, 8:47 pm

A potential issue I'm seeing is logistics, e.g. Where would it be held, who would host us, who is willing to volunteer to write/proctor the tests.
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
States events: Sleeping in due to cancellation.
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

jaggie34

Post by jaggie34 » February 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm
jaggie34 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:15 pm
demir wrote:
In general it would be difficult to balance difficulty, superregional size, geographical distance, and other factors such as state sizes. In an optimal scenario, states like NY would need to refrain from being grouped with New England states such as Maine, but be grouped together with states like PA, so that their superregion does not just send all NY teams.

One solution, since you proposed a total of 10 regions, is to give each state a minimum of one bid. (Total 50 bids). One extra bid can be given to each superregional to be distributed to the next top team.
Alternatively, there could be a guaranteed bid for the 3 or 4 state champions who place the highest ( at least for superregion J, this could change depending on number of states per super region) and the rest of the bids could go to the highest performing teams, hopefully ensuring a competitive field and still staying fairly representative, even though in this case Utah and Hawaii (?) are likely to go unrepresented.
Boca Raton Community High School
Events: Circuit Lab, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Codebusters
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion (until they come back :D )
I like circuits :idea:
Click here to meet my hero!

SciolyMaster
State: MO
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciolyMaster » February 12th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Examples
I've gone ahead and split states up into 10 theoretical superregions below (number of teams competing in parenthesis, from 2019 numbers):

Superregion A: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina (795)
Superregion B: North Carolina, Tennessee (828)
Superregion C: Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C., Maryland, Ohio (735)
Superregion D: Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware (695)
Superregion E: New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts (852)
Superregion F: Michigan, Indiana (708)
Superregion G: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota (823)
Superregion H: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Northern California (772)
Superregion I: Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico (730)
Superregion J: Southern California, Hawaii, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado (834)
tf when you forget Missouri exists...

especially considering the brutal 1v1 slog that our state tournament has become due to having only one bid...
Ladue Science Olympiad
2020 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, WaterQual, Ping Pong (?), Astro (?)
2019 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, Thermo
"You're only good because you study!"

Return to “General Competition”