Indiana Science Olympiad

chzlover3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by chzlover3 »

dickyjones wrote:Scores are up here. butterfly...half of an inch of parachute is what kept us from nats. Oh well.

I don't think our WIDI people were terribly surprised at getting last. They can post for themselves though. Personally, I don't think WIDI should ever count towards a team's score. :P The whole tournament wasn't that well run though. (I mean the junkyard people wanted to let the people choose which challenge to do at the beginning of the day I hear!) I personally agree with you that Trajectory should have been counted (even though that was our third bomb), and you should have gone to nats, but there's not that much you can do about it. Personally, I think they should completely redo state...but this time well. :P That's obviously not gonna happen though.

Best of luck on going to nats! Hopefully, Hawaii or DC will decide not to send a team and everything can work out smoothly.

I'm still really pigeon about that. Not at Rocio.. I'm never going to look at the word "of" the same way again. It should never count for any score. The Mex-Connection was still there, but Chio and i decided that someone using a cellphone must have caused some Mexican brainwave interference.

I set fire to my WIDI rulesheet. No lie.
"They misunderestimated me." -Bush

"Oh the potential of one word"
-Adam, after WIDI.. ugh.

Mex-Connection...If only you could BEGIN to comprehend..

"The stirring rods are where the stirring rods are."
- Mrs. Salomon
chzlover3

Post by chzlover3 »

dickyjones wrote:Enviro chem was almost exactly the same test as regionals (and the one on the national website) with different samples and modified questions. And I still managed to get 10th, though to be fair, there's not much you can do to prepare for a test like that where nearly anyone can come in and get pretty close to a perfect score. I definitely needed some calculations and actual chemistry, though, somewhere to do well.

It's nice to see Munster doing well. It makes me hopeful that Northwest Indiana won't completely fade away to the Central schools (Bloomingtons/Carmel). I don't know how our school will do next year. We have a couple freshman/sophomores that have the ability to be REALLY good as well as some good juniors, but I'm not sure whether they can cover all of the events that well next year. We'll see...

I'm quite happy it'll be at IU next year. Hopefully I'll be able help out somewhere on the other side of SO.

*snap*
Represent! *Acts thuggish*
I'm just going to assume that i'm one of those sophomores who has the ability to be REALLY good, being that there's two of us. xD

The two i'm most worried about for next year are Astronomy and Health Science.. =/
"They misunderestimated me." -Bush

"Oh the potential of one word"
-Adam, after WIDI.. ugh.

Mex-Connection...If only you could BEGIN to comprehend..

"The stirring rods are where the stirring rods are."
- Mrs. Salomon
sciolykid101
Division: C
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

kmeister87 wrote:
swimmergurl43091 wrote:But like really almost half of the events were messed up. My health science test had stuff about the endocrine system and lymphatic system, when its supposed to be cardiovascular and skeletal. The tie-breaker was labeling the heart, which is what the test should be. Really if we took out all the events that were messed up there would only be about half left.
Bleck, the health science test was very short, didn't test over much of the broad range of topics listed in the rules, and there was practically nothing on disorders. Technically, the question on which blood cell's hormone was secreted from the liver could be classified under hematopoiesis, which is in the rules, as is the lymphatic system (with circulatory.) The skull, however, wasn't supposed to come in until nationals. Oh well. The reason the heart question was used as a tie-breaker was that a bunch of teams in the evens block asked questions about what the diagram was asking for, as it was unclear whether it was pointing to the chordae tendonae or the ventricles. The event coordinators just got fed up and made it a tiebreaker.

You're right that a lot of events could have been run better... which, again, made this a really strange competition.
Did you get the question about the liver-hematopoeisis right?
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

i5Cent wrote:
eak227 wrote:If I recall correctly, IUPUI was actually given state this year because they're trying to bid for the national competition. In order to get nationals, you have to prove to the committee that you can successfully run a rather large state competition. Doesn't sound like they're off to a very hot start if they messed up badly enough that the winner comes down to arbitration and a completely botched event. Not to mention events not up to par with the typical Indiana state quality.
I can't believe they think they can run a national competition when they didn't even have an area large enough for our awards ceremony. I definitely can't see them getting to host nationals ever.
yeah and if they were realy trying the would have gotten people that actualy know what they are doing and realise whats at stake to run events
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
swimmergurl43091

Post by swimmergurl43091 »

BLOOMINGTON SOUTH IS GOING TO NATIONALS!!!

It is official that Oklahoma gave up their spot so we will be going.
Bloomington High School South '09
Events: Health Science, Remote Sensing, Dynamic Planet
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by dickyjones »

Congrats to you guys! You really deserved it; the whole situation was pretty ridiculous but I'm glad it worked out in your favor.

Do you think you can get top 15? Would be nice to see Indiana to continue doing well at nationals instead of fading back to 20s and 30s. I wish you the best of luck there.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
adam124218

Post by adam124218 »

That's really great, South. I know I speak for our whole team in saying that we're thrilled that both of our teams will be going to Nationals. We'll be excited to see you in Georgia and to get to compete together (and against each other :) ) again.
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by rocketman1555 »

swimmergurl43091 wrote:BLOOMINGTON SOUTH IS GOING TO NATIONALS!!!

It is official that Oklahoma gave up their spot so we will be going.
why did oklahoma give up their spot?
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
swimmergurl43091

Post by swimmergurl43091 »

I'm not sure why they gave up their spot, but last year they said they were going and didn't show up so I'm glad at least that they gave it up before nats.

We hope to represent Indiana well. All of us are pretty excited to be going and want to do the best that we can.

Thanks for all of the support
Bloomington High School South '09
Events: Health Science, Remote Sensing, Dynamic Planet
Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

I'm just glad that State will be at Bloomington next year cuz the event coordinators at IUPUI were for the most part volenreirs (i can't spell) and didn't completely relise the how much scoring things right mattered to some of the kids and coaches
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”