Detector Building C

MBosons
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by MBosons »

rayner wrote: November 1st, 2019, 10:14 am For "provide their own Calibration Thermometer for calibration and testing", what kind of thermometers are people using? Will a typical food thermometer be sufficiently accurate? Also, what kind of calibration can be done at event time? Is there an expectation that our built thermometers will be off by some certain amount? And then calibration means setting some +/- that should be added/subtracted from the computed temperature?
Did anyone answer the question about what bringing our own digital calibration thermometer means?
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I'm using 5 different equations in my program (which is legal according to the FAQ). How would I show this in my design log? Do I just show a scatter plot and scatter plot with equation overlay for all 5 equations?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm I'm using 5 different equations in my program (which is legal according to the FAQ). How would I show this in my design log? Do I just show a scatter plot and scatter plot with equation overlay for all 5 equations?
depending on what graphing tool you’re using you should be able to make it a piecewise function
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

For the device test, are you allowed to see the temperature on the actual thermometer? I know you can tell the supervisor when you want them to record temperatures. At YUSO they let me see the temp on both the thermometer and my device so I assumed this would be allowed at the regional, but it wasn't. They only let me see the temp on my device, and this ended up bringing my accuracy score down from around 55+ in testing to 50.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:23 am For the device test, are you allowed to see the temperature on the actual thermometer? I know you can tell the supervisor when you want them to record temperatures. At YUSO they let me see the temp on both the thermometer and my device so I assumed this would be allowed at the regional, but it wasn't. They only let me see the temp on my device, and this ended up bringing my accuracy score down from around 55+ in testing to 50.
Rules say nothing about it. The logical one is for the reading to be blind so you can't game the system by waiting until they match, but not all tournaments are doing that. Yet another oversight by the rules.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

Umaroth wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:26 am
MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:23 am For the device test, are you allowed to see the temperature on the actual thermometer? I know you can tell the supervisor when you want them to record temperatures. At YUSO they let me see the temp on both the thermometer and my device so I assumed this would be allowed at the regional, but it wasn't. They only let me see the temp on my device, and this ended up bringing my accuracy score down from around 55+ in testing to 50.
Rules say nothing about it. The logical one is for the reading to be blind so you can't game the system by waiting until they match, but not all tournaments are doing that. Yet another oversight by the rules.
I've seen both setups. A clarifcation on this would be quite useful.
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

The ES at Solon (who is the NES) didn’t let us see the temperature reading on our calibration thermometer, and those readings were taken immediately after we read out what our device said when we thought it was ready
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
sciencegirl03
State: MI

Post by sciencegirl03 »

I have seen both setups at invitationals. In my opinion, we should not be able to see the thermometers reading as you could read out yours when they are close to matching. At Solon, we could not see the thermometer reading and since it was the Nats ES, I expect it should be that way in the future.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
Tekguy
State: NC

Post by Tekguy »

Does anyone have any good ideas for how to waterproof a thermistor? For some reason, when we cover ours with liquid electrical tape, and clear nail polish, they read very inaccurately. When we put the bare thermistor into water, with no waterproofing whatsoever, it reads perfectly accurately. We are using a TMP36.
"Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right."
Franklin School Of Innovation
Division C
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

sciencegirl03 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 3:21 pm I have seen both setups at invitationals. In my opinion, we should not be able to see the thermometers reading as you could read out yours when they are close to matching. At Solon, we could not see the thermometer reading and since it was the Nats ES, I expect it should be that way in the future.
What you could do is have your temperature be increasing at a constant rate, ie 0.1 degree every 2 seconds, and then call it at the point in time where the temperatures are close.

Return to “Detector Building C”