2020-2021 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
NorCalplaya
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by NorCalplaya » February 19th, 2020, 8:57 pm

WIFI LAB - I did wifi lab at nationals two years ago, definitely a good event in terms of the build. It's was fun but hard to make on my own, I needed more than two hands. Difficult to test at home, there was a special attachment need to read wifi signals, and some wifi routers don't have connections for wires to attach into.

Wright Stuff - Another year? No complaints, I love all flying events (and I won't be competing), but I think rotating the events is good, I wish I could've made a full circle with gliders

Air Trajectory - I think this is a great build event, got to see an absolute god medal at nationals with this event, I think its a great build event :lol: .

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P High School North
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » February 19th, 2020, 10:30 pm

what are the div C inquiries?
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 892
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 347 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by sciolyperson1 » February 20th, 2020, 4:52 am

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 10:30 pm
what are the div C inquiries?
PPP, WIDI, Exdesi, Game On
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17




Rate my tests!

splane21
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: June 26th, 2018, 7:11 am
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: Georgia Tech
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by splane21 » February 20th, 2020, 6:50 am

CathycatScioly wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm
I'm sorry, but is anyone else sad that Density lab just got booted away???? smh
Yes, Density Lab is the best event!
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019

splane21
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: June 26th, 2018, 7:11 am
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: Georgia Tech
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by splane21 » February 20th, 2020, 6:53 am

112358132134 wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am
I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Are you thinking about something like Source Code (but I guess Source Code doesn't have a timed question). I was really hoping Source Code would replace Code Busters especially considering that it has been run as a trial event.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019

User avatar
zandaddy
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: March 17th, 2019, 9:34 am
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by zandaddy » February 20th, 2020, 9:33 am

splane21 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 6:53 am
112358132134 wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am
I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Are you thinking about something like Source Code (but I guess Source Code doesn't have a timed question). I was really hoping Source Code would replace Code Busters especially considering that it has been run as a trial event.
Source Code would actually be a decent event to run nationally. Regardless, the prevalence of computer science is increasing so steeply that it really needs a better place in Science Olympiad. I would be okay with pretty much anything. Game On is just extremely limiting.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /

112358132134
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: June 3rd, 2017, 8:08 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by 112358132134 » February 20th, 2020, 11:19 am

splane21 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 6:53 am
112358132134 wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am
I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Are you thinking about something like Source Code (but I guess Source Code doesn't have a timed question). I was really hoping Source Code would replace Code Busters especially considering that it has been run as a trial event.
I didn't know that was a trial event, but from reading the wiki page it sounds a lot like what I'm thinking of. I really think the timed problem would be a cool addition and it could make a great event.

smayya337
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: November 2nd, 2017, 5:15 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: in my room because I never leave it
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 11 times
Contact:

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by smayya337 » February 20th, 2020, 12:15 pm

112358132134 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:19 am
splane21 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 6:53 am
112358132134 wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am
I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Are you thinking about something like Source Code (but I guess Source Code doesn't have a timed question). I was really hoping Source Code would replace Code Busters especially considering that it has been run as a trial event.
I didn't know that was a trial event, but from reading the wiki page it sounds a lot like what I'm thinking of. I really think the timed problem would be a cool addition and it could make a great event.
There's also Amazing Mechatronics, which has been trialed in VA and NC and is being trialed at Nats this year. You have to use an Arduino to perform as many of a list of tasks as possible in a specified time.
TJHSST '22
2021 Events: Code/Detector/Sounds
smayya337's Userpage

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by chalker » February 20th, 2020, 6:07 pm

zandaddy wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 9:33 am
Regardless, the prevalence of computer science is increasing so steeply that it really needs a better place in Science Olympiad. I would be okay with pretty much anything.
This is a common opinion of many of us on the national rules committee, and we've been discussing it for many years now. The challenge we continually face though is designing an event that works well within the standard SO event constraints (e.g. things such as run-able in a 50 min time block,. score-able within about an hour, not requiring expensive hardware or software, not requiring specialized expertise by the event supervisor, able to generate score ranges that can differentiate 60+ teams, etc. etc.). We've bounced around a lot of ideas and trialed several, but none have really stood out more than Game On.

We are always interested in new ideas though, and there is a process to propose them that is outlined on the SOINC Trial Event webpage: https://www.soinc.org/learn/trial-events

Finally, lest you think this isn't something we take seriously, I'll point out the computer science is near and dear to me personally. My day job is working with supercomputers, I competed in the the Compute This event myself in the early 90s, and I've won some programming competitions in my life. I would love for there to be more computer/computational science content in SO events.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
coopsadoodles
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: February 17th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Division: B
State: CT
Location: Bedford MS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by coopsadoodles » February 21st, 2020, 11:39 am

splane21 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 6:50 am
CathycatScioly wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm
I'm sorry, but is anyone else sad that Density lab just got booted away???? smh
Yes, Density Lab is the best event!
it's on a rotation, but im still sad too :(
2019-20 Placements
Rustin/Garnet Valley/Harvard/States/Nationals
-----------------------------------
Density: 5/3/3/-/-
Crime: 10/5/2/-/-
WiDi: 19/1/5/-/-
Food: -/-/7/-/-

Post Reply

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests