2020-2021 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
NorCalplaya
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by NorCalplaya »

WIFI LAB - I did wifi lab at nationals two years ago, definitely a good event in terms of the build. It's was fun but hard to make on my own, I needed more than two hands. Difficult to test at home, there was a special attachment need to read wifi signals, and some wifi routers don't have connections for wires to attach into.

Wright Stuff - Another year? No complaints, I love all flying events (and I won't be competing), but I think rotating the events is good, I wish I could've made a full circle with gliders

Air Trajectory - I think this is a great build event, got to see an absolute god medal at nationals with this event, I think its a great build event :lol: .
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

what are the div C inquiries?
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

LiteralRhinoceros wrote: February 19th, 2020, 10:30 pm what are the div C inquiries?
PPP, WIDI, Exdesi, Game On
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
splane21
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by splane21 »

CathycatScioly wrote: February 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm I'm sorry, but is anyone else sad that Density lab just got booted away???? smh
Yes, Density Lab is the best event!
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
splane21
State: IN

Post by splane21 »

112358132134 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Are you thinking about something like Source Code (but I guess Source Code doesn't have a timed question). I was really hoping Source Code would replace Code Busters especially considering that it has been run as a trial event.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
zandaddy
State: WI

Post by zandaddy »

splane21 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 6:53 am
112358132134 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Are you thinking about something like Source Code (but I guess Source Code doesn't have a timed question). I was really hoping Source Code would replace Code Busters especially considering that it has been run as a trial event.
Source Code would actually be a decent event to run nationally. Regardless, the prevalence of computer science is increasing so steeply that it really needs a better place in Science Olympiad. I would be okay with pretty much anything. Game On is just extremely limiting.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /

Post by 112358132134 »

I didn't know that was a trial event, but from reading the wiki page it sounds a lot like what I'm thinking of. I really think the timed problem would be a cool addition and it could make a great event.
smayya337
State: VA

Post by smayya337 »

112358132134 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:19 am
I didn't know that was a trial event, but from reading the wiki page it sounds a lot like what I'm thinking of. I really think the timed problem would be a cool addition and it could make a great event.
There's also Amazing Mechatronics, which has been trialed in VA and NC and is being trialed at Nats this year. You have to use an Arduino to perform as many of a list of tasks as possible in a specified time.
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

zandaddy wrote: February 20th, 2020, 9:33 am Regardless, the prevalence of computer science is increasing so steeply that it really needs a better place in Science Olympiad. I would be okay with pretty much anything.
This is a common opinion of many of us on the national rules committee, and we've been discussing it for many years now. The challenge we continually face though is designing an event that works well within the standard SO event constraints (e.g. things such as run-able in a 50 min time block,. score-able within about an hour, not requiring expensive hardware or software, not requiring specialized expertise by the event supervisor, able to generate score ranges that can differentiate 60+ teams, etc. etc.). We've bounced around a lot of ideas and trialed several, but none have really stood out more than Game On.

We are always interested in new ideas though, and there is a process to propose them that is outlined on the SOINC Trial Event webpage: https://www.soinc.org/learn/trial-events

Finally, lest you think this isn't something we take seriously, I'll point out the computer science is near and dear to me personally. My day job is working with supercomputers, I competed in the the Compute This event myself in the early 90s, and I've won some programming competitions in my life. I would love for there to be more computer/computational science content in SO events.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
coopsadoodles
State: CT

Post by coopsadoodles »

splane21 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 6:50 am
CathycatScioly wrote: February 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm I'm sorry, but is anyone else sad that Density lab just got booted away???? smh
Yes, Density Lab is the best event!
it's on a rotation, but im still sad too :(
bedford ms '20, staples hs '24
chem lab, green gen, enviro chem, widi

Return to “General Competition”