Detector Building C

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Santa Clara
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Detector Building C

Post by jinhusong » February 18th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Tekguy wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:09 am
Does anyone have any good ideas for how to waterproof a thermistor? For some reason, when we cover ours with liquid electrical tape, and clear nail polish, they read very inaccurately. When we put the bare thermistor into water, with no waterproofing whatsoever, it reads perfectly accurately. We are using a TMP36.
Find right sized heat shrink, cut 16 cm long. Let the end of the heat shrink tube be the center line of the TMP36. Shrink it, so that half of the sensor is exposed to water and the other half with wires is inside the tube.

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: In Cleveland Somewhere
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Detector Building C

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » February 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Tekguy wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:09 am
Does anyone have any good ideas for how to waterproof a thermistor? For some reason, when we cover ours with liquid electrical tape, and clear nail polish, they read very inaccurately. When we put the bare thermistor into water, with no waterproofing whatsoever, it reads perfectly accurately. We are using a TMP36.
100% use some type of covering on the detector. I suggest looking into waterproof epoxy's.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Reeeeeee
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 9th, 2020, 11:11 am
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by Reeeeeee » February 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm

For powering the Arduino, if I don't use the laptop to power Arduino, can I use Anker Portable Power Bank (5V/2.4A) to power thru the Arduino USB port? Does the power bank consider "commercially available batteries"?
i.e. Anker Power Bank: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... B0194WDVHI

LIPX3
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: January 10th, 2016, 8:41 am
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Detector Building C

Post by LIPX3 » February 20th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Reeeeeee wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm
For powering the Arduino, if I don't use the laptop to power Arduino, can I use Anker Portable Power Bank (5V/2.4A) to power thru the Arduino USB port? Does the power bank consider "commercially available batteries"?
i.e. Anker Power Bank: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... B0194WDVHI
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Santa Clara
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Detector Building C

Post by jinhusong » February 21st, 2020, 12:01 am

Better not. It is lithium battery. I know in laptop it is also lithium battery but laptop is OK explicitly.

rabbitman
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Detector Building C

Post by rabbitman » February 21st, 2020, 6:58 am

Isn't there a ban on using lithium based batteries (implemented after the first year of hovercraft)?

killer225whale
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: November 23rd, 2009, 9:28 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by killer225whale » February 21st, 2020, 8:18 am

Not anymore, that battery policy is gone now, so you can use batteries containing lithium.

Mr.McK
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: December 10th, 2019, 6:24 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by Mr.McK » February 22nd, 2020, 9:34 am

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Tekguy wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:09 am
Does anyone have any good ideas for how to waterproof a thermistor? For some reason, when we cover ours with liquid electrical tape, and clear nail polish, they read very inaccurately. When we put the bare thermistor into water, with no waterproofing whatsoever, it reads perfectly accurately. We are using a TMP36.
100% use some type of covering on the detector. I suggest looking into waterproof epoxy's.
Google: "liquid electrical tape"

smallboar
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 23rd, 2020, 3:24 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by smallboar » February 23rd, 2020, 3:26 pm

I'm new to this event, what microprocessor is easier to learn/use, Ti or arduino?

User avatar
Umaroth
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Pretend hugging SIlverBreeze because social distancing
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Detector Building C

Post by Umaroth » February 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm

smallboar wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 3:26 pm
I'm new to this event, what microprocessor is easier to learn/use, Ti or arduino?
Do yourself a favor and use arduino, it's more practical and useful for the future. The only reason TI is suggested is because they're the sponsors.
Troy SciOly 2019-now
The Ambassador

Proud Kraemer SciOly Padre 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Kraemer SciOly Pretty-Much Head Coach 2019-now
2020 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines
States Events: HANDS ON DISEASE DETECTIVES

Umaroth's Userpage

Post Reply

Return to “Detector Building C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests