Compute This

fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Compute This

Postby fmtiger124 » April 7th, 2009, 5:43 am

hbk.showstopper wrote:I thought they varied from earlier than 2004.......oh well

they did thats what i said

Fuzzy Mint
Division: C
State: WA

Postby Fuzzy Mint » April 7th, 2009, 8:11 pm

wow, it was rather amazing, me and my partner studied like, a total of 10 minutes, and we got 1st at regionals. but then again, this was probably because they were using excel 2007, and most other people didn't know how to put a title on using that. and the test wasn't as obscenely hard as i thought it would be. But i don't think we'll be so lucky at state.
And its kinda annoying how we can only use one computer. for two people? I just felt kinda useless and had a tendency to randomly burst into laughter if my partner spelled words such as did, iddii

hbk.showstopper
Division: B

Postby hbk.showstopper » April 7th, 2009, 8:16 pm

I think thats how they wanted it to be because a good strategy would probably be to have one person in the computer doing something and the other person maybe looking over what has to be done or something like that........I'm not sure but they have a reason for doing it like that.
Definition of No Nuff
Def. #1-Not Enough
Def. #2-Too Much

sihT etupmoC
State: OH

Postby sihT etupmoC » April 8th, 2009, 5:57 am

Fuzzy Mint wrote:And its kinda annoying how we can only use one computer. for two people? I just felt kinda useless and had a tendency to randomly burst into laughter if my partner spelled words such as did, iddii

That's how my partner is, though it's a she. She like a sister, but dang she's annoying during comp.! Okay. She sits besides me and then whenever I can't find something she steals the mouse and keyboard from me, :p And whenever I misspell something, she starts laughing. Usually I laugh along but hey, when you only have 10 minutes, you need to buckle down and be serious.
:lol:
The things that happen during compute this XD
2009 States: 1 Compute This, 5 Trajectory
2010 States: 3 Compute This, 6 Meteorology
2011 Regionals: 1 Write It/Do It, 4 Compute This, 5 Meteorology, 3 Team

hbk.showstopper

Postby hbk.showstopper » April 8th, 2009, 7:41 pm

yeah when we're suppose to be practicing my friends are usually playing around and acting stupid most of the time......
Definition of No Nuff
Def. #1-Not Enough
Def. #2-Too Much

JustDroobles
State: MI

Postby JustDroobles » April 8th, 2009, 9:25 pm

My partner is pretty helpful. I always use the keyboard and mouse, but my partner is really helpful in pointing out typos, coming up with search terms, remembering information so we don't have to continuously change windows, and generally paying attention to what I might miss.

hbk.showstopper

Postby hbk.showstopper » April 9th, 2009, 6:25 pm

wow you're lucky
Definition of No Nuff
Def. #1-Not Enough
Def. #2-Too Much

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby Phenylethylamine » April 10th, 2009, 6:02 am

I'm not doing this event, but the people on my team who do Compute are a guy who types 100+ words per minute (but doesn't know as much about computers as he thinks he does) and a 7th grader who's smart but was kind of chosen as an accessory. I had to help them wrestle with Excel 2003 (because our school district is cheap and won't even upgrade to 2007... and Microsoft sucks anyway) because they couldn't figure out the scatter plot...
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

sihT etupmoC

Postby sihT etupmoC » April 10th, 2009, 7:27 am

Scatters easy. I can type around 100 wpm, and I'm deffinantly computer smart. I have tried Mac's spreadsheet program at Northmont Invitational. Apple + Click for right click? I went nuts.
Excel 03 is more easy to work with because if you get used to it, Excel 07 has things everywhere in different places and it confuzzles you O.o But I can do it

Any ideas what topic and data there would be to find and graph at State? My past few tournaments dealt with minerals (and I do say it is the second hardest to water data, to me), and so I loaded my site with minerals. Any other people have done this at state? What did you have to graph?

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Phenylethylamine » April 10th, 2009, 7:38 am

sihT etupmoC wrote: I have tried Mac's spreadsheet program at Northmont Invitational. Apple + Click for right click? I went nuts.

Oh no, the Mac spreadsheet program is pretty terrible too. Openoffice.org all the way :D
--

fli754

Postby fli754 » April 10th, 2009, 9:47 am

Oh dear, it seems that my team captain is talking about me :roll: . I wasn't the one that had problems with scatter plots cause I was downstairs (cough alan cough)

I have Excel 2009 Enterprise Edition, so that should get me ready for Excel 2007, as Excel 2009 is built off of 2007.

@ sihT etupmoC, stack your website with water, earthquakes, spaceshuttles (cause I had three practice events that were about rovers and space missions).

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Phenylethylamine » April 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm

fli754 wrote:Oh dear, it seems that my team captain is talking about me :roll: . I wasn't the one that had problems with scatter plots cause I was downstairs (cough alan cough)

Good, you're following this thread like I told you to. If you knew how to do a scatter plot, then why didn't you show him instead of having me do it?
--

sihT etupmoC

Postby sihT etupmoC » April 10th, 2009, 2:41 pm

fli754 wrote:@ sihT etupmoC, stack your website with water, earthquakes, spaceshuttles (cause I had three practice events that were about rovers and space missions).

Rovers and space missions? Where those for the questions for data?

fli754

Postby fli754 » April 11th, 2009, 1:25 pm

sihT etupmoC wrote:
fli754 wrote:@ sihT etupmoC, stack your website with water, earthquakes, spaceshuttles (cause I had three practice events that were about rovers and space missions).

Rovers and space missions? Where those for the questions for data?

There were some questions about which space mission did so and so, such as which Zond mission successfully landed on Mars or which Zond mission collected back Martian soil. There was also one practice event I found that asked my partner and I to graph the weight and closest distance reached to Mars of 4 probes (I forgot which ones).

You might have the practice event, it's about the Soviet unmanned space missions, including Zond. If not, I could send you the practice event via e-mail.

EDIT: Oh, and at my oh so kind teammate; I wasn't there when Alan was doing it, cause I told him to try the event by himself and see where that gets him. Then our coach tried to help Alan, but failed, and then I guess you showed up or something.

hbk.showstopper

Postby hbk.showstopper » April 11th, 2009, 4:10 pm

yea it'll probably be on stuff like that.....
Definition of No Nuff
Def. #1-Not Enough
Def. #2-Too Much

Return to “2009 Lab Events”