Re: Scores

Post by Volps »

mnoga wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:24 pm
Volps wrote: February 17th, 2020, 2:24 pm Target Distance: 9.5m
Time: 3.5 sec
Distance: 16cm
Score is 35-36 ish, haven't seen the official results yet
Somehow got 8th at the UM Invitational
How was the floor? Was it a smooth gym wood floor recently refinished or perhaps tile?
It wasn't wood or tile, it was some weird rubbery surface. Don't really know how to describe it, reminded me of the floors in the labs at my hs.
Tendan
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tendan »

PM2017 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:54 am
knightmoves wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:29 pm
Tendan wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:53 am They could also do a weight bonus, but that might not completely fix the problems with luck. I was also thinking something similar to previous years like fitting between two cans, or maybe something outlandish like a three-wheel bonus or having to go backward or turning, of which the latter two might be near impossible for this event.
Backwards would be cool. You could totally do it - wind some sort of spring as the car travels, car stops, and then the spring unwinds to send the car backwards. Could be a bonus - car has to go 10m (or 12m) into an "end zone", stop, and reverse to the mark. If you don't go in the end zone there's a 500 point penalty or something.
I would do something like (-1)*distance past the endzone in cm added to your score.
You would probably need photogates for an endzone, or else there would be a lot of disputes over if a car really made it. The only alternative I can think of would be somehow having it push a cup.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
Things2do
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

I won my Regional with a score somewhere around 18.7. It was probably slightly less, but he never told me my time for the second run, so I am assuming 3.9 seconds, which is slightly over my first run time of 3.85 seconds. I was 7.4 cm off, almost all to the left. I overshot the target by about 1 cm. The car weighed less than 450 grams, the ramp was as tall as possible, and the ramp was not flat on the floor where the car came off. The distance was 9 meters. The floor was a tile hallway with no special cleaning.

In practice, I managed a score of less than 6. I was 1 cm off at Regional rules for 10.5 meters, and the run time was less than 4 seconds. That was in a narrow hallway with a bare concrete floor that hasn't been cleaned for as long as I can remember, and it leaves dirty spots on your pants if you move your knees while kneeling.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Tendan wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:56 am
knightmoves wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:29 pm

Backwards would be cool. You could totally do it - wind some sort of spring as the car travels, car stops, and then the spring unwinds to send the car backwards. Could be a bonus - car has to go 10m (or 12m) into an "end zone", stop, and reverse to the mark. If you don't go in the end zone there's a 500 point penalty or something.
I would do something like (-1)*distance past the endzone in cm added to your score.
You would probably need photogates for an endzone, or else there would be a lot of disputes over if a car really made it. The only alternative I can think of would be somehow having it push a cup.
This is what I had meant.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

Golden Gate Invitational (GGS)) top six plus some estimated scores:

1. Iolani 4.5
2. Mira Loma ?
3. Albany 8.0
4. Monta Vista ?
5. Troy 8.5
6. Lynbrook 9.0

All six teams that won medals were less than 3 away. Iolani's two runs were near perfect. The run distance was 10.0, which somewhat explains the low scores.

Event was run on a nice gym floor with the grain. There were three tracks used, but I don't think there was any significant difference between the three tracks. The floor was mopped before the event started.

We bombed the event finishing in 11th and 17th with scores of 18.5 and 21.2.
Last edited by mnoga on February 24th, 2020, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

PM2017 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:46 am
Tendan wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:56 am

This is what I had meant.
I don't think I follow. Do you mean that the objective would be to make the car go as far as it can forward, then reverse back to a point?
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

mnoga wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:48 am Golden Gate Invitational (GGS)) top six plus some estimated scores:

1. Iolani 4.5
2. Mira Loma ?
3. Albany 8.0
4. Monta Vista ?
5. Troy 8.5
6. Lynbrook 9.0

All six teams that won medals were less than 3 away. Iolani's two runs were near perfect.

Event was run on a nice gym floor with the grain. There were three tracks used, but I don't think there was any significant difference between the three tracks. The floor was mopped before the event started.

Given that, what do people think nationals scores will be like? I'd guess less than 7 points to medal. Luck might be what determines where the best teams will fall.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

Tendan wrote: February 24th, 2020, 3:21 pm
mnoga wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:48 am Golden Gate Invitational (GGS)) top six plus some estimated scores:

1. Iolani 4.5
2. Mira Loma ?
3. Albany 8.0
4. Monta Vista ?
5. Troy 8.5
6. Lynbrook 9.0

All six teams that won medals were less than 3 away. Iolani's two runs were near perfect.

Given that, what do people think nationals scores will be like? I'd guess less than 7 points to medal. Luck might be what determines where the best teams will fall.
Run distance was 10.0 for GGSO, which in theory should be easier than long distances like 11.5 and 12.0. If at Nationals they use a distance like 11.9, and the floor is smooth and level, then 7 to 8 sounds about right. OTOH, any issues with the floor, then it would be hard to estimate the medal threshold.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

PM2017 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:54 am I would do something like (-1)*distance past the endzone in cm added to your score.
But then the ES has to judge excactly where it momentarily stopped. That's too easy to get wrong.

I suppose there's always the cup-pushing thing, but that might be a challenge with the ramp.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Tendan wrote: February 24th, 2020, 3:11 pm I don't think I follow. Do you mean that the objective would be to make the car go as far as it can forward, then reverse back to a point?
I'd think just go forward past the end line (by any distance) and then reverse to a point would be enough - I don't think you need accuracy to stop in the endzone and accuracy to reverse to a point. And if you do that, it degrades fairly easily, as teams who are just starting out can choose not to attempt the endzone and just stop at the point. Give them a few meter penalty so they place behind anyone who makes it to the endzone and reverses at all, but ahead of cars that just don't work.

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”