Fossils B/C

hmmm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm »

ignore this
Last edited by hmmm on February 24th, 2020, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

Does anyone have advice on how to distinguish between genus acer and genus platanus?
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by EwwPhysics »

twig wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:51 am Question: Since when did Calamites play a role in continental drift?
I thought they were talking about Glossopteris then I saw it said specimen B (which was calamites) so I'm confused
I blame test writers
Right, and what phylum did Gregor Mendel study on the Official Fossils list? (i scribbled down whatever came to my mind first, so i actually have no clue what the right answer is. All i know is that i got it wrong by putting Mollusca)
I think the test writers probably messed up... I haven't seen a single thing about Calamites relating to continental drift, so they probably meant glossopteris.
As for the Gregor Mendel question... I doubt they would be talking about anything except peas, but vascular plants aren't on the list... that was a really bad question. I've seen similar things with test writers accidentally using previous years' rules, but there weren't vascular plants last year either... basically, I wouldn't worry about this question.
Lower Merion Captain '24
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

EwwPhysics wrote: February 24th, 2020, 11:58 am
twig wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:51 am Question: Since when did Calamites play a role in continental drift?
I thought they were talking about Glossopteris then I saw it said specimen B (which was calamites) so I'm confused
I blame test writers
Right, and what phylum did Gregor Mendel study on the Official Fossils list? (i scribbled down whatever came to my mind first, so i actually have no clue what the right answer is. All i know is that i got it wrong by putting Mollusca)
I think the test writers probably messed up... I haven't seen a single thing about Calamites relating to continental drift, so they probably meant glossopteris.
As for the Gregor Mendel question... I doubt they would be talking about anything except peas, but vascular plants aren't on the list... that was a really bad question. I've seen similar things with test writers accidentally using previous years' rules, but there weren't vascular plants last year either... basically, I wouldn't worry about this question.
peas are angiosperms and every plant on the list is a vascular plant...
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by EwwPhysics »

hmmm wrote: February 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm
EwwPhysics wrote: February 24th, 2020, 11:58 am
I blame test writers
peas are angiosperms and every plant on the list is a vascular plant...
I apologize to both twig and hmmm >w< without doing research I was unaware that angiosperms and anthophyta were the same so I was therefore under the impression that there was no phylum that included pea plants on the list.
Regardless, it was unreasonable for the event supervisor to expect you to know the taxonomy of things not on the list, or even to expect that you have knowledge about Gregor Mendel's studies (this is pretty common knowledge, but I'm sure that there are some people in div B who haven't taken basic biology/genetics courses, especially 6th graders). That problem was definitely more of a common sense thing, so there's nothing you can really do to study for things like that except for have a bunch of info on the general phylums that are underlined on the list...
Lower Merion Captain '24
twig
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by twig »

EwwPhysics wrote: February 24th, 2020, 4:52 am Does anyone have advice on how to distinguish between genus acer and genus platanus?
How many times do I have to answer this? (this is probably my 4-5th time answering the same question, so don't ask this again)
Look at the veins. Platanus has 3 main veins that branch into two separate veins, and Acer does not have these branching veins.
Another way to tell is by the flowers and also the shape of the leaf. It's just that simple.

btw, I forgot to say this but they used the exact same test for Div C and Div B for Fossils, so our HS team saw me and asked questions about questions on the test. Then our coach approached me and then i told him about the phylum station that i feel like every team got screwed on including us. I literally thought we failed because we made so bad mistakes. I've never made this many mistakes before esp. in Fossils. Solid B+ on DP, but more like a solid C- for Fossils because of the dumb mistakes. HOW COULD I SAY THAT BATOIDS WERE FROM MAZON CREEK AND I LITERALLY SAW SOME OF THE PICTURES THAT THEY SHOWED ON THE TEST WHEN I WAS SEARCHING FOR FOSSILS FOR LAGERSTATTEN.My partner was supposed to write the motto that we have for Fossils, "If I know the correct answer, then write it down. If I am unsure of an answer, fact check it with the binder. If he writes the answer or says an answer, it's very likely the answer is wrong. If I have a gut feeling that you are wrong, then write something else that we can check with the binder." It has been proven multiple times. I thought the brachiopod anatomy part was the hinge, but then he said it was something else. AK said HINGE, we got the anatomy of it wrong.

i was yelling about how we made the most stupid mistakes at regionals and how angry i was...
and if you were wondering what place I got for Fossils, I got first, but I thought we did trash, but apparently we did not do trash bc other teams did worse than us, but they weren't screaming in the room. Almost got DQed haha
HS team got 3rd, I believe, but then she was so upset when they called them for third.
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by EwwPhysics »

twig wrote: February 24th, 2020, 6:49 pm
EwwPhysics wrote: February 24th, 2020, 4:52 am Does anyone have advice on how to distinguish between genus acer and genus platanus?
How many times do I have to answer this? (this is probably my 4-5th time answering the same question, so don't ask this again)
Look at the veins. Platanus has 3 main veins that branch into two separate veins, and Acer does not have these branching veins.
Another way to tell is by the flowers and also the shape of the leaf. It's just that simple.
Sorry next time I’ll look harder to see if it’s been mentioned before on the forums. Thanks for answering despite my laziness lol
Lower Merion Captain '24
ChimpLopez
Has thanked: 0

Post by ChimpLopez »

Does anyone have any tips on how to easily identify Platystrophia from Rhynchonellida? Idk why but I struggle with telling those two apart.
I also go by Chino.
2017-2018 Events: Herpetology, Ecology
2018-2019 Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping
2019-2020 Events: Ornithology, Fossils, Protein Modeling
Red Sweatshirt Guy (RSG) 8-)
twig
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by twig »

Playstrophia has a bigger dip in the middle while rhynchonellida is just a slight dip in the middle. They have kinda different shapes too, it’s just that rhynchonellida is smaller.

Sorry was too tired to quote you
I should draw this and I’ll pm you with the drawing
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
dchen22

Post by dchen22 »

Does anyone know how to get the answer to or where the info comes from for PUSO Fossils Test Station 10 Question 6? Thanks in advance.
Fossils, Circuits, Cell Bio, RemSen
Medals: 7

Return to “2020 Study Events”