MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Accuracy of Detectors (Overall)

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 18th, 2020, 5:45 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:13 pm

It's quite easily actually once you know what you're doing, and if you're acquainted with the language you're working with. I'm pretty sure he's talking about using the Stienhart-Hart equation given with a thermistor, and then changing it with some testing.
Changing it as in adding a constant? I don't see how one could find new coefficients in the 20 minutes of allotted calibration time.
More than doable with the right tools. This can be like quickly using a good graphing calculator to take points with corresponding voltage and temperature. Then finding a line of best fit. Personally I've done it in a time crunch, with a little under 20 minutes. Definitely can happen.
Every time I have tried making a linear regression for voltage vs temperature, it ends up accurate for cooler temps and off by as much as 2 degrees for hotter temps. I was able to collect 5 data points in 20 minutes and each was in a different temperature range. When I collected 30 data points, I discovered that the slope for hotter temps is much greater than for cooler temps. Is there another type of regression that models this more accurately?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 18th, 2020, 6:02 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 18th, 2020, 5:45 pm Changing it as in adding a constant? I don't see how one could find new coefficients in the 20 minutes of allotted calibration time.
More than doable with the right tools. This can be like quickly using a good graphing calculator to take points with corresponding voltage and temperature. Then finding a line of best fit. Personally I've done it in a time crunch, with a little under 20 minutes. Definitely can happen.
Every time I have tried making a linear regression for voltage vs temperature, it ends up accurate for cooler temps and off by as much as 2 degrees for hotter temps. I was able to collect 5 data points in 20 minutes and each was in a different temperature range. When I collected 30 data points, I discovered that the slope for hotter temps is much greater than for cooler temps. Is there another type of regression that models this more accurately?
A non-linear regression with multiple parts, with set ranges you already have set. I use a tinspire where I can sort through data, and then easily look through the data. Then you put it into data and statistics, go into regression and test all of the types of regression for the best fit. Personally, I have found using multiple parts with polynomial functions to work the best.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
lameloball
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lameloball »

Has anyone else notices that pretty much the only thing that matters is how precise the calibration thermometers are?
ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

lameloball wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:39 am Has anyone else notices that pretty much the only thing that matters is how precise the calibration thermometers are?
it's not really the only thing that matters -- usually, the thermometers are precise enough, and your device really does still have a huge impact on your results, but if a thermometer isn't precise it can indeed throw a team off by a considerable margin. It's just one of the many things that are wrong with this event.
ntso
quack quack
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

ericlepanda wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:50 am
lameloball wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:39 am Has anyone else notices that pretty much the only thing that matters is how precise the calibration thermometers are?
it's not really the only thing that matters -- usually, the thermometers are precise enough, and your device really does still have a huge impact on your results, but if a thermometer isn't precise it can indeed throw a team off by a considerable margin. It's just one of the many things that are wrong with this event.
If it is regional, you bring your own thermometer and you have unlimited time to calibrate it before coming to competition. As long as the thermometer is repeatable, you should be able to calibrate your device to it.
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Is there any reason why a team would not calibrate at all at a state competition? I recall seeing a top team not calibrate at an invitational and they got first place in the event. Also what is a sufficient number of values to collect when calibrating?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

We did at invitation running state rule. 5 data points from scratch for thermistor, 0.1, 0.0, 0.1, 0.2.

Return to “Detector Building C”