Food Science B

knightmoves

Re: Food Science B

Post by knightmoves »

DragonTownEpic wrote: January 28th, 2020, 12:44 pm I don't think a store-bought salinometer is allowed.
Correct. Rule 2d: "Each team must bring a participant-made salinometer/hydrometer capable of measuring salt concentrations between 1-10% (mass/volume)."
varnina07
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by varnina07 »

Do we need to know about the fungus/yeasts in food like saccharomyces?
DragonTownEpic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DragonTownEpic »

Yup.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
scienceenerd101
Division: C
State: OH

Post by scienceenerd101 »

Hi Guys!

Does anyone have any good sources to study?
Amoeba55
State: VA

Post by Amoeba55 »

Does anyone know any instructional resources to construct an electrical salinometer using an Arduino? Thanks.
Advith9
State: KS

Post by Advith9 »

In rule 2b, it says we must build a salinometer capable of measuring 1-10 percent salt solution. It also states that it must operate within a 500 ml beaker filled with at least 400 milliliters of water. But at the regional contest, while measuring the salt content of pickling liquids, we had to work with a 100 ml graduated cylinder. Should I expect to see that at state? Or should I just focus on 400 and 500ml when building the salinometer.
Advith9
State: KS

Post by Advith9 »

Amoeba55 - For regionals I made an arduino ppm sensor. PPM (parts per million) is an accepted measure of salinity. However, I think the judges were kind of confused because they wanted salinity percent. So I just ended up using my backup manual density salinometer. There is a way of finding percent from ppm and we did that, but that meant we had to calibrate the ppm sensor everytime to get accurate results. And I wasn't very confident with that. Here is the project I used - https://hackaday.io/project/7008-fly-wa ... er-arduino
Hope this helps
[email protected]
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by [email protected] »

Do I need to know what each and every fermented food or just a select few?
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

Advith9 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 9:35 am In rule 2b, it says we must build a salinometer capable of measuring 1-10 percent salt solution. It also states that it must operate within a 500 ml beaker filled with at least 400 milliliters of water. But at the regional contest, while measuring the salt content of pickling liquids, we had to work with a 100 ml graduated cylinder. Should I expect to see that at state? Or should I just focus on 400 and 500ml when building the salinometer.
I have run Food Science for several invitationals as well as having supplied the materials for the NYC Regional. The rule clearly states what you are saying. If you are provided a 100mL graduated cylinder I would definitely say something during the test. That is not appropriate.
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

varnina07 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm Do we need to know about the fungus/yeasts in food like saccharomyces?
I would almost guarantee a question or two on Saccharomyces.

Return to “2020 Lab Events”