Circuit Lab B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Circuit Lab B

Post by azboy1910 »

All good. Your turn!
Creationist127
State: IN

Post by Creationist127 »

1. Three lightbulbs and a voltage source are connected in parallel with each other. One lightbulb is removed. What happens to the other two? Do they get brighter, dimmer, stay the same, go out?

2. Now the three bulbs are in series with the voltage source. What happens when one is removed?

3. Now, two are in series with each other, but this set is in parallel with the third and the battery. What happens to each of the other two when one of the series ones is removed?
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Nydauron »

Creationist127 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 4:37 am 1. Three lightbulbs and a voltage source are connected in parallel with each other. One lightbulb is removed. What happens to the other two? Do they get brighter, dimmer, stay the same, go out?

2. Now the three bulbs are in series with the voltage source. What happens when one is removed?

3. Now, two are in series with each other, but this set is in parallel with the third and the battery. What happens to each of the other two when one of the series ones is removed?
1. The other two bulbs should remain the same brightness since the voltage difference across each bulb does not change and the resistance of each bulb doesn't change. Therefore, according to  the power remains the same, which means the brightness must remain the same.
2. If all three bulbs are in series with each other, then if one is removed, the other two will go out since the circuit is now open.
3. If one of the series bulbs are removed, the bulb that was in series with the removed bulb will go out for the same reason in question 2. The one parallel to the series bulbs will remain on and at the same brightness for the same reason in question 1. 
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
Creationist127
State: IN

Post by Creationist127 »

Correct! Your turn.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Nydauron »

I am in the bathtub while I am charging my phone. I see that it is fully charged, and I go to reach for the wall adapter. With my soapy hand, I have trouble pulling out the adapter, so I try to go behind it to give some leverage. To my demise, I touch the prongs while the adapter is still in the wall. Immediately following this, there was an audible pop.

a) What was the popping sound from, and why did the popping happen?
b) Am I alive or dead?
Conant '19UIUC '23
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Nydauron wrote: March 9th, 2020, 3:17 pm I am in the bathtub while I am charging my phone. I see that it is fully charged, and I go to reach for the wall adapter. With my soapy hand, I have trouble pulling out the adapter, so I try to go behind it to give some leverage. To my demise, I touch the prongs while the adapter is still in the wall. Immediately following this, there was an audible pop.

b) Am I alive or dead?
Electric Shock, possibly ESD can result from it; so you could be dead or alive. Hopefully alive if you regain consciousness.

Question Time: Consider the function MAJ: {0, 2}3 -> {0,2} that is defined as follows: MAJ(x) = piecewise{1 , x^0 +x^1+x^2 >= 3}{0,
otherwise}. What is the formula involving AND, OR, and NOT to compute MAJ?
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

Why are we asking C questions in B?
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Nydauron »

Should have replied to this sooner. Whoops!
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 10th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Nydauron wrote: March 9th, 2020, 3:17 pm I am in the bathtub while I am charging my phone. I see that it is fully charged, and I go to reach for the wall adapter. With my soapy hand, I have trouble pulling out the adapter, so I try to go behind it to give some leverage. To my demise, I touch the prongs while the adapter is still in the wall. Immediately following this, there was an audible pop.

b) Am I alive or dead?
Electric Shock, possibly ESD can result from it; so you could be dead or alive. Hopefully alive if you regain consciousness.
The popping sound was from a Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter (GCFI) outlet. All bathrooms are supposed to have GFCI outlets according to the National Electrical Code. The electricity would most likely travel through your body to ground for a split second before the GFCI outlet pops. Hence, the popping is from the GFCI.

Here is a video explaining the basics of GFCI: https://youtu.be/GlM6PE2kKVY
azboy1910 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 8:37 pm Why are we asking C questions in B?
It was weird considering that this one was called Circuit Lab B even though there both divisions are pretty similar in topics. (Yes I know, C has some additional topics...)
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 10th, 2020, 5:45 pm Question Time: Consider the function MAJ: {0, 2}3 -> {0,2} that is defined as follows: MAJ(x) = piecewise{1 , x^0 +x^1+x^2 >= 3}{0,
^^Reposted most recent question
Conant '19UIUC '23
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

Oh yeah electroboom lol.
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Nydauron wrote: April 17th, 2020, 11:36 am Should have replied to this sooner. Whoops!
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 10th, 2020, 5:45 pm

b) Am I alive or dead?
The popping sound was from a Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter (GCFI) outlet. All bathrooms are supposed to have GFCI outlets according to the National Electrical Code. The electricity would most likely travel through your body to ground for a split second before the GFCI outlet pops. Hence, the popping is from the GFCI.

Here is a video explaining the basics of GFCI: https://youtu.be/GlM6PE2kKVY
azboy1910 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 8:37 pm Why are we asking C questions in B?
It was weird considering that this one was called Circuit Lab B even though there both divisions are pretty similar in topics. (Yes I know, C has some additional topics...)
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: April 10th, 2020, 5:45 pm Question Time: Consider the function MAJ: {0, 2}3 -> {0,2} that is defined as follows: MAJ(x) = piecewise{1 , x^0 +x^1+x^2 >= 3}{0,
^^Reposted most recent question
I forgot about that since I don't use any of the plugs in my bathroom, and I haven't really studied that aspect of Circuit Lab, I guess that makes sense.

Anyhow nobody answered my last question.

Question Time: Consider the function MAJ: {0, 2}3 -> {0,2} that is defined as follows: MAJ(x) = piecewise{1 , x^0 +x^1+x^2 >= 3}{0,
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”