Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Indiana 2020

Post by bernard »

Umaroth wrote: March 7th, 2020, 8:09 am
AlfWeg wrote: March 7th, 2020, 8:03 am
Umaroth wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:30 am

At the rate that the virus is progressing and the lack of competency from the world's governments in their containment efforts. Bringing so many people in from every state, including highly affected areas, would be a major health risk. As much as I don't want to say it, I think that canceling nationals would be the right thing to do.
I'm gonna hope that doesn't happen for purely selfish reasons. Ig we will see in April
waterboy wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:38 am What states have already been canceled?
Maine and Socal, tho apparently Norcal isn't far behind.
It appears we received incorrect info regarding Maine. They posted the SoCal message on their website, but they have not yet canceled.
Thanks for clarifying the misunderstanding. I've created Maine 2020 as a space for discussing the situation in Maine.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
veroniquescioly
Division: B
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by veroniquescioly »

MacintoshJosh wrote: March 7th, 2020, 5:26 am That would be interesting, but at this rate Nationals even happening seems unlikely, though it’s definitely too early to say. If more than half the states are cancelled, then it’s pretty likely every other state will be affected too.
What do you think is the likely hood of state being canceled.
anatomy, herdity, fossils, suitcases
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

veroniquescioly wrote: March 7th, 2020, 4:18 pm
MacintoshJosh wrote: March 7th, 2020, 5:26 am That would be interesting, but at this rate Nationals even happening seems unlikely, though it’s definitely too early to say. If more than half the states are cancelled, then it’s pretty likely every other state will be affected too.
What do you think is the likely hood of state being canceled.
I think that depends on the state scioly board, the Purdue University administration, or both (depending on who acts first). As far as I know, the university has actually already cancelled ALL spring break international trips, yet has not cancelled any of the domestic ones, and has ordered anyone who did independent travel to level 2 or above travel advisory locations to engage in 14-day self quarantine and be tested upon return. I do not know anything in regards to the internal discussions or operations of the scioly board.

The University has been releasing campus updates regularly here: https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/release ... -2019.html
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
waterboy

Post by waterboy »

boomifailure wrote: March 5th, 2020, 12:27 pm
waterboy wrote: March 5th, 2020, 12:19 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: March 5th, 2020, 12:14 pm How many bids do each IN division get?
Last year B got 2 and C got 1, but I'm guessing that this year both divisions will get 1 bid.
That one probably going to both TJ and Carmel. Although somehow last year RP still got thrown into the mix.
Does anyone think that if more states cancel their state tournament then Indiana will have more national bids than just one for each division?
Circuit Lab, Density Lab, Machines, Mission Possible :geek: :geek:
boomifailure
Division: C
State: MI

Post by boomifailure »

waterboy wrote: March 8th, 2020, 9:30 am
waterboy wrote: March 5th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Last year B got 2 and C got 1, but I'm guessing that this year both divisions will get 1 bid.
That one probably going to both TJ and Carmel. Although somehow last year RP still got thrown into the mix.
Does anyone think that if more states cancel their state tournament then Indiana will have more national bids than just one for each division?
Maybe Indiana will or maybe Michigan will or maybe Nationals will be canceled.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

boomifailure wrote: March 8th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Well the bids would go to texas first. Not sure after that
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
waterboy

Post by waterboy »

boomifailure wrote: March 8th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Yeah, that's a probable option too.
Circuit Lab, Density Lab, Machines, Mission Possible :geek: :geek:
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Michigan already has 2 bids.... I think that if they are going to award additional bids from states that didn't have a tournament the bids will be awarded to states that don't have 2 bids yet, such as Missouri.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

AlfWeg wrote: March 7th, 2020, 8:03 am
Umaroth wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:30 am
AlfWeg wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:17 am
What rate? I thought only a few states had cancelled.
At the rate that the virus is progressing and the lack of competency from the world's governments in their containment efforts. Bringing so many people in from every state, including highly affected areas, would be a major health risk. As much as I don't want to say it, I think that canceling nationals would be the right thing to do.
I'm gonna hope that doesn't happen for purely selfish reasons. Ig we will see in April
waterboy wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:38 am What states have already been canceled?
Maine and Socal, tho apparently Norcal isn't far behind.
New York States B & C competitions are officially cancelled.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”