Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Triggering the Vehicle

Post by GodOfCars »

Things2do wrote: March 9th, 2020, 2:39 pm
AugustW wrote: March 9th, 2020, 10:51 am
CPScienceDude wrote: March 9th, 2020, 10:46 am
This isn't a place to ask for pictures of a build. I'll give some suggestions though. For braking, I believe the agreed best right now is a wingnut braking system. See Here. As for release, think everyone kinda has their own thing.
I already have the wingnut. I was not sure what to change about my breaking system. Do you know if the method of using a pencil to hold it up through a hole in the back is accurate. I didn't know if this could be done with great accuracy, or if that was simply not achievable with this system.
I had the pencil through a hole in my ramp and a standard wingnut brake on a ~400 gram car with CD wheels, and I had regular sub-10 point runs, including at my Regional, and a sub-5 point run in practice.
Don't the rules say that it is illegal for the pencil to touch the ramp?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

GodOfCars wrote: March 10th, 2020, 10:04 am Don't the rules say that it is illegal for the pencil to touch the ramp?
No.

The rules do say, however, that the competitor may not touch the ramp (5i).
AugustW
Been thanked: 0

Post by AugustW »

CPScienceDude wrote: March 9th, 2020, 10:46 am
This isn't a place to ask for pictures of a build. I'll give some suggestions though. For braking, I believe the agreed best right now is a wingnut braking system. See Here. As for release, think everyone kinda has their own thing.
I already have the wingnut. I was not sure what to change about my breaking system. Do you know if the method of using a pencil to hold it up through a hole in the back is accurate. I didn't know if this could be done with great accuracy, or if that was simply not achievable with this system.
I had the pencil through a hole in my ramp and a standard wingnut brake on a ~400 gram car with CD wheels, and I had regular sub-10 point runs, including at my Regional, and a sub-5 point run in practice.
Thanks, I will try to incorporate that design into mine.
GodOfCars
Division: C
State: IL

Post by GodOfCars »

According to the rules, isn't the pencil not allowed to touch the ramp?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

AugustW wrote: March 10th, 2020, 11:19 am

Thanks, I will try to incorporate that design into mine.
Different approaches work for different people. Keep things simple, and do those things well. You will end up with a good score.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”