Replaying Events for 2021

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Replaying Events for 2021

Post by TheChiScientist »

Unome wrote: March 11th, 2020, 1:51 pm I personally would not expect event rotation changes as a result of this. (I'm speaking with zero inside information, just to clarify)

That said, this is so far out of normal experience that it's really tough to predict what the responses might be.
Ding Ding Ding. This man got it right. All 2020-2021 events shall be identical to 2019-2020.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2020 National Tournament: North Carolina State University

Post by pb5754 »

Is there any way we can get NSO to not recycle this year's events?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
OwenBall
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by OwenBall »

pb5754 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:58 pm Is there any way we can get NSO to not recycle this year's events?
Yeah, I agree that events should not be recycled; in my opinion, it seems unfair to teams that may build schedules and select competitors based on the cycle of the rules, and also, this will probably just lead to a more boring 2021 season. Hopefully this decision is reconsidered.
Columbia High School Class of 2020
Carnegie Mellon University Class of 2024
Game On - 1st
Mission Possible - 3rd
Optics - 6th
Fermi - 7th
Astro
Bottle Rocket
Circuits
Detector
Fermi
Game On
Hovercraft
Machines
Mission Possible
Optics
Scrambler
Wheeled Vehicle 
JoeyC
State: TX

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by JoeyC »

https://twitter.com/SOAlumniNetwork
I personally don't like this too much, cause it alters future event rotations. (Fast Facts C is not coming back in my career anymore I don't think so rip)
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

OwenBall wrote: March 11th, 2020, 3:10 pm
pb5754 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:58 pm Is there any way we can get NSO to not recycle this year's events?
Yeah, I agree that events should not be recycled; in my opinion, it seems unfair to teams that may build schedules and select competitors based on the cycle of the rules, and also, this will probably just lead to a more boring 2021 season. Hopefully this decision is reconsidered.
Yeah, next season will likely just be boring if this happens. I respect NSO and their decisions, but like, I think it's generally agreed that this is not going to make us happier. I get how they think by doing this that we'd be happier because all of our hard work wouldn't be lost and such, but in reality, an entirely new challenge will be more fun for us to solve then slightly perfecting our already existing designs for another entire year.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Re: Covid-19 and Nats/States

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Same rules!? It'll be super competitive now
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Torchic
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Torchic »

Everyone who are my partners in my events are going into Div. C next year...
I'm going to not enjoy having to be the person doing everything.
I am so going to go insane over the summer if the rules are the same-it will involve a lot of A&P practice and boomilever breaking
Welp, time to watch everyone get a lot better than me if I stop practicing for a minute
18-19- A&P-2nd R, 1st S Boomi- 2nd R 2nd S Game On- 4th R 2nd S
19-20- A&P-1st R Boomi-1st R Game On- 1st R
20-21-Same events as ^ xd
http://moskaushrine18842.000webhostapp.com/ Team Song at its finest >:3

Lovin' our team name
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Torchic wrote: March 11th, 2020, 3:35 pm Everyone who are my partners in my events are going into Div. C next year...
I'm going to not enjoy having to be the person doing everything.
hahaha I am the person doing everything our team is so screwed
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote: March 11th, 2020, 3:31 pm
I would clarify that it's not 100% certain that future rotations won't be affected by this change (especially those beyond the next few years). I could see some committees pushing to return certain events on the original timeline on the basis of it having been a while since they were in rotation.
The Rules Chairs have not made ANY decision nor had any discussions about how to handle rotations for the 21-22 season and beyond. Our focus the past few days has been on thinking through any issues / implications of replaying the current season rules next year. Note while all the events will stay the same, there will likely be a few tweaks to some of the rules, particularly to address any rules clarification or FAQs that have come up this year. We haven't made any decisions yet about whether we'll be tweaking any of the topical areas or device specifications, but I suspect if we do, any such tweaks will be minimal as the spirit is truly to 'replay' the current seasons rules. I suspect it'll be quite a while until we finalize them as our normal timeline is to discuss the rules for next year after nationals.
These users thanked the author chalker for the post (total 15):
Unome (March 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm) • BennyTheJett (March 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm) • LittleMissNyan (March 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm) • CPScienceDude (March 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm) • pikachu4919 (March 11th, 2020, 4:45 pm) • MadCow2357 (March 11th, 2020, 5:09 pm) • jaspattack (March 11th, 2020, 5:29 pm) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 11th, 2020, 5:37 pm) • allofgarden (March 12th, 2020, 4:54 am) • theskyisred (March 12th, 2020, 5:18 am) and 5 more users

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
buildergirl
Has thanked: 0

Post by buildergirl »

I definitely agree, and I think that is the general consensus among teams at well. For many teams the season is already over or will be over soon, so it would be repeating the entire year over again, which will be boring and repetitive for all competitors and event supervisors. Reusing the rules and events will just make every event more competitive because people will have the entire summer to study/build and the generally lower ranking teams have no chance of ever medaling. Also, the majority of teams do not put underclassmen in events that will be out of rotation the following year, and it will really screw them over too because the graduating seniors who have been working on those events throughout the invitational season won't be able to participate.

However, I do understand that creating new rules takes time and at this point we don't even know if SOSI will happen, but it's a little early to declare that the same rules and events will be used.
These users thanked the author buildergirl for the post:
pepperonipi (March 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm)

Return to “General Competition”