Binder Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Binder Events

Post by AlfWeg »

Booknerd wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:17 pm But now, with DP being binder, I have been spending more time trying to find obscure wiki articles rather than trying to understand how things like ocean salinity and water density influence the planet.
Could you explain this? Why are you spending more time? Studying priorities shouldn't change? Ik in my case, making the binder took about an hour to make, and casual additions throughout the year(just like when it was cheatsheet). It's just nicer to have everything spread out, though it is extremely irritating to have things too spread out (On an unrelated note: Sheet Protectors :mrgreen:).
Booknerd wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:17 pm However, the decision to make DP binder opened up the new opportunity to make DP a station event, which can give Test Proctors/writers the opportunity to decide if a station or test event is the best for their given space and resources.
I do agree that the rules have put more emphasis on a stations test, but I don't think the binder is part of that. There have always been a few stationed DP tests.
These users thanked the author AlfWeg for the post:
Unome (March 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm)
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Booknerd »

AlfWeg wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Booknerd wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:17 pm But now, with DP being binder, I have been spending more time trying to find obscure wiki articles rather than trying to understand how things like ocean salinity and water density influence the planet.
Could you explain this? Why are you spending more time? Studying priorities shouldn't change? Ik in my case, making the binder took about an hour to make, and casual additions throughout the year(just like when it was cheatsheet). It's just nicer to have everything spread out, though it is extremely irritating to have things too spread out (On an unrelated note: Sheet Protectors :mrgreen:).
Booknerd wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:17 pm However, the decision to make DP binder opened up the new opportunity to make DP a station event, which can give Test Proctors/writers the opportunity to decide if a station or test event is the best for their given space and resources.
I do agree that the rules have put more emphasis on a stations test, but I don't think the binder is part of that. There have always been a few stationed DP tests.
Ok, maybe it's just a problem with how I study and prepare? Although I do feel like the binders make it too note based.
We don't talk about Pentathlon.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

I would like the idea of no binders and fewer specimens. I feel part of ID events is getting students to explore the diversity of organisms, though, so I feel a long list that we need to ID from and a much shorter list that we need to know in-depth information about and no binder would be a nice change. I've been lucky enough to take many excellent Orni tests this season, though I've also seen many tests that focus on "Identify specimen A. What is its clutch size? What is its height?" A few questions of this type are fine, but too many and the test becomes a binder-flipping contest. While recording and organizing data as a scientist is important, cataloging birds along with their corresponding numbers becomes tedious beyond a certain point.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Booknerd wrote: March 20th, 2020, 3:58 pm
AlfWeg wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Ok, maybe it's just a problem with how I study and prepare? Although I do feel like the binders make it too note based.
I see both sides of this. For someone who is solid at this event (I already knew most everything on the cheatsheet, and I took my first couple meets essentially without notes), once you get the basics down it is all refining. My binder solely consists of the obscure wikipedia articles, seeing as how I am quite solid on the fundamentals, and those would be the only real spots to need the notes in. I do like the option of spreading out the notes that the binder provides, but I also don't like the binders for exactly what I'm using it for. Competitions in my area have started asking more and more obscure questions on the DP tests (This was a fun test: file:///home/chronos/u-f3b2e506ec7586fd1e5f071730270a9d482ba272/MyFiles/Downloads/SO%20Bellville%20Dynamic%20Planet%202019%20KEY.pdf ). I think there is a significant flaw in allowing binders to be used as part of the test, and I'd like to see events where there are no notes allowed at all on the test. I do agree, that the amount of time spent on an event shouldn't be impacted by whether it's a binder event or not, just what you're spending your time on will change significantly.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I apologize for the rant shown above.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.

Return to “General Competition”