Astronomy C

jonboyage
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Astronomy C

Post by jonboyage »

I just posted this on SOUP's thread.
jonboyage wrote: March 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm Like I promised, here is the link to the astronomy exam and key for this year.

Feel free to send any questions to my email, [email protected].

Note: I would like to clarify that me making my exam public is not a reflection of SOUP's current policy. I was granted special permission to release my test, partially because I am involved with the astro team that writes the nationals exam. You can find other publicly released astronomy exams written by fantastic test writers like Asher, PM, Adi, and many others.
These users thanked the author jonboyage for the post:
PM2017 (March 11th, 2020, 5:32 pm)
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

jonboyage wrote: March 1st, 2020, 1:20 pm I just posted this on SOUP's thread.
jonboyage wrote: March 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm Like I promised, here is the link to the astronomy exam and key for this year.

Feel free to send any questions to my email, [email protected].

Note: I would like to clarify that me making my exam public is not a reflection of SOUP's current policy. I was granted special permission to release my test, partially because I am involved with the astro team that writes the nationals exam. You can find other publicly released astronomy exams written by fantastic test writers like Asher, PM, Adi, and many others.
not typeset using , 0/10

I really admire that you're releasing your test and hope SOUP eventually changes its policy. I truly believe university-run invitationals have an obligation to give back to the Science Olympiad community in any way we can, which includes making our resources as freely available as possible. In the richest country on Earth, geography or finances should never be a barrier in the way of a student wanting to learn.
These users thanked the author Adi1008 for the post:
jonboyage (March 11th, 2020, 7:09 pm)
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
applegrape123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by applegrape123 »

In many tests they ask for the wavelength of all the dsos? However, I dont know where to find them. I dont know where Universities find this type of information.
Aimer
Division: C
State: OH

Post by Aimer »

applegrape123 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 5:34 pm In many tests they ask for the wavelength of all the dsos? However, I dont know where to find them. I dont know where Universities find this type of information.
I assume you mean questions where they ask what wavelength a specific picture is in?

I mostly used Chandra's photo album for DSO images + wavelengths, such as the example below for the Bullet Cluster:
https://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2006/1e0657/

The captions and/or the paragraphs beneath it usually tell you what wavelength the image is in.

Hope this helps!
Mason High School '23

20-21 Events:
Astronomy, Codebusters, Dynamic Planet, Fossils
JavaScriptCoder
State: IL

Post by JavaScriptCoder »

I'm obviously late to the party, but based on experiences at regionals (Illinois State), there doesn't seem to be a large difference from last year in terms of the types of questions and materials. Anything in particular that you guys would recommend making sure we have for the State tournament so we don't get blindsided?
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
Events: Astronomy, Protein Modeling, (formerly: Wright Stuff, Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Have you worked with the JS9?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
JavaScriptCoder

BennyTheJett wrote: March 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm Have you worked with the JS9?
Yes.
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
Events: Astronomy, Protein Modeling, (formerly: Wright Stuff, Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics)
skylarrhaee
State: ND
Been thanked: 0

Post by skylarrhaee »

you get really big cheat sheets so make the most of it and gather as much about the stuff it lists that you need to know. Also, the test asked about specific stars so learn a bit about those.
JavaScriptCoder

skylarrhaee wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 6:35 am you get really big cheat sheets so make the most of it and gather as much about the stuff it lists that you need to know. Also, the test asked about specific stars so learn a bit about those.
lmao I get how the tests are at local/state, last year I was 6th in Illinois state so I'm just a bit salty haha. Yeah I have the stars our cheat sheet is 500 pages long, etc.
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
astronomybuff
State: NC

Post by astronomybuff »

Hey,
So I am currently an 8th grader, but I will definitely be participating in Astronomy next year. NSO said they're replaying the season, so any tips on where to start for astronomy, because I want to get ahead of everybody else. The rules look really daunting!

Return to “2020 Study Events”