Replaying Events for 2021

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
svph300
Division: Grad
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by svph300 »

svph300 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 12:46 pm
feng wrote: March 21st, 2020, 3:35 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Arguably this may be one of the events where it's hit or miss on the clarification. But personally I think they will stick to this year's system for anatomy, since changing the system is like going though another rotation.
I really hope that they will keep the regular rotation for Anatomy. For a HS students who have interests in this area, they would have completed a full rotation with 4 years of study. This is also a well tested event, not much risk for rotations.
I agree that the rules replay for 2021 will mean that the same systems will be tested. I also agree with the most recent comment. As an exam author, I’m worried that replaying the rules this year will encourage other exam authors (including myself) to start including “fun facts” or “rare facts” to keep the event competitive. In my opinion, I believe that repeating the systems next season will put EVERYONE in a disadvantage.

1. People who haven’t competed in this event and are competing in it next year will be faced with competitors that will have a year of experience in the same systems.
2. People who have competed in 2020 could possibly become bored in the 2021 season since the systems are the same. As a past competitor, I loved looking forward to the rotations with Anatomy and 2021 competitors will be deprived of that experience.
3. Exam authors will also be put at a disadvantage. I’ve written several Anatomy exams this past season and like I previously mentioned, I am motivated to make the exams harder by seeking harder sources, more specific info, etc. in order to make up for the competitors’ vast experience in this event. The rules replay might also lead to the recycling of resources for exam authors, which in turn could increase the disparity between experienced and new competitors.
4. Exam authors AND competitors are at a risk of burnouts in this event since everyone will be dealing with the same systems. While I consider this event to be my favorite, writing exams on the same thing over and over again can become tiresome. As a past competitor, competing in the same systems feels slightly discouraging (in terms of excitement), especially if some of the these competitors were looking forward to the next rotation.

In short, I wish they would rotate to the next systems for Anatomy. While I do understand that 2020 competitors didn’t get a chance to showcase their knowledge, starting off with new systems (Nervous, Endocrine and Sense) will ensure that everyone starts in the same place (which, in my opinion, is fairer.) I also wouldn’t be surprised if competitors and exam authors of other study events feel the same way. However, I respect the Board’s decision regarding the rules replay and interested to see how this anomaly of a year plays out.

I hope everyone is staying safe at this time!
These users thanked the author svph300 for the post:
Mr.Epithelium (March 22nd, 2020, 2:54 pm)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

svph300 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 12:46 pm Agreed! As an exam author, I’m worried that replaying the rules this year will encourage other exam authors (including myself) to start including “fun facts” or “rare facts” to keep the event competitive. In my opinion, I believe that repeating the systems next season will put EVERYONE in a disadvantage.

1. People who haven’t competed in this event and are competing in it next year will be faced with competitors that will have a year of experience in the same systems.
2. People who have competed in 2020 could possibly become bored in the 2021 season since the systems are the same. As a past competitor, I loved looking forward to the rotations with Anatomy and 2021 competitors will be deprived of that experience.
3. Exam authors will also be put at a disadvantage. I’ve written several Anatomy exams this past season and like I previously mentioned, I am motivated to make the exams harder by seeking harder sources, more specific info, etc. in order to make up for the competitors’ vast experience in this event. The rules replay might also lead to the recycling of resources for exam authors, which in turn could increase the disparity between experienced and new competitors.
4. Exam authors AND competitors are at a risk of burnouts in this event since everyone will be dealing with the same systems. While I consider this event to be my favorite, writing exams on the same thing over and over again can become tiresome. As a past competitor, competing in the same systems feels slightly discouraging (in terms of excitement), especially if some of the these competitors were looking forward to the next rotation.

In short, I wish they would rotate to the next systems for Anatomy. While I do understand that 2020 competitors didn’t get a chance to showcase their knowledge, starting off with new systems (Nervous, Endocrine and Sense) will ensure that everyone starts in the same place (which, in my opinion, is fairer.) I also wouldn’t be surprised if competitors and exam authors of other study events feel the same way. However, I respect the Board’s decision regarding the rules replay and interested to see how this anomaly of a year plays out.

I agree with svph300 and would like to add that these points apply to many study events besides Anatomy.
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post:
Mr.Epithelium (March 22nd, 2020, 2:54 pm)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
pepperonipi

Post by pepperonipi »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 1:12 pm
svph300 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 12:46 pm Agreed! As an exam author, I’m worried that replaying the rules this year will encourage other exam authors (including myself) to start including “fun facts” or “rare facts” to keep the event competitive. In my opinion, I believe that repeating the systems next season will put EVERYONE in a disadvantage.

I agree with svph300 and would like to add that these points apply to many study events besides Anatomy.
I get it. The rules replay is annoying and frustrating for a lot of people. The scores of the top teams next year might be pretty close.

But at this point, I don't really see the point of discussing why the events shouldn't be replayed after NSO has repeatedly said that they are going to be replayed. They're not going to suddenly turn around and change their minds. This is going to happen.

Instead, I would encourage you guys to talk about what slight changes need to be made to Anatomy, especially after NSO has said that they are open to slight changes to the rules for some events. Tell them what you think is wrong (that's reasonable for them to change), and why it should be changed. That's much more likely to change things for next year rather than arguing why events shouldn't be replayed. I can't guaruntee that your changes will be accepted, but there's a chance they will. A better chance than the chance of the event not being replayed.

Same goes for people in other events... let NSO know what you think is wrong with the event so they consider slightly altering the rules to hopefully help close the issue.
These users thanked the author pepperonipi for the post (total 5):
Unome (March 22nd, 2020, 2:33 pm) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 22nd, 2020, 3:11 pm) • bearasauras (March 22nd, 2020, 8:52 pm) • Booknerd (March 28th, 2020, 5:23 pm) • pikachu4919 (March 31st, 2020, 7:21 am)
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
svph300

Post by svph300 »

pepperonipi wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 2:29 pm
SilverBreeze wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 1:12 pm

I get it. The rules replay is annoying and frustrating for a lot of people. The scores of the top teams next year might be pretty close.

But at this point, I don't really see the point of discussing why the events shouldn't be replayed after NSO has repeatedly said that they are going to be replayed. They're not going to suddenly turn around and change their minds. This is going to happen.

Instead, I would encourage you guys to talk about what slight changes need to be made to Anatomy, especially after NSO has said that they are open to slight changes to the rules for some events. Tell them what you think is wrong (that's reasonable for them to change), and why it should be changed. That's much more likely to change things for next year rather than arguing why events shouldn't be replayed. I can't guaruntee that your changes will be accepted, but there's a chance they will. A better chance than the chance of the event not being replayed.

Same goes for people in other events... let NSO know what you think is wrong with the event so they consider slightly altering the rules to hopefully help close the issue.
While I understand the reasonings of NSO in the rules replay, the forum is an open space for individuals to discuss their thoughts and emotions regarding specific topics, including the rules replay. As a National Medalist, event supervisor and exam author of this event (who has also contributed questions to the Anatomy National Event Supervisor), I wanted to share my views regarding the rules replay and how it can possibly affect Anatomy. I have also suggested possible additions regarding Anatomy in this document, offered assistance to the Life Sciences Committee (should they need it), and discussed suggestions earlier in this thread. The main reason for my post was to relay my worries from both an author’s and competitor’s point of view, and I hope you didn’t view that as a formal complaint against NSO.

The only way to alter the event for the 2021 season is to add more topics for each 2020 system (which is what I predict they will do). However, my previous points regarding this event have long-lasting implications for competitors and discussing them in an open forum is a way to share my thoughts (that may also be relevant for other competitors). The fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology as an event is to test competitors in new systems every year and challenge them to adapt to these rotations. Additionally, Anatomy is an event every year and like feng mentioned, competitors that have competed for their entire high school career will be deprived of the experience in competing in all four rotations. Changing the systems isn’t changing the nature of the event nor complaining about the event being replayed (since this event is always replayed). In short, Anatomy and Physiology was MEANT to rotate.

Top scores for next year might be close as you mentioned, so I bid you good luck for your senior year. Reach out to me if needed.
These users thanked the author svph300 for the post:
feng (March 22nd, 2020, 5:05 pm)
pepperonipi

Post by pepperonipi »

svph300 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm While I understand the reasonings of NSO in the rules replay, the forum is an open space for individuals to discuss their thoughts and emotions regarding specific topics, including the rules replay. As a National Medalist, event supervisor and exam author of this event (who has also contributed questions to the Anatomy National Event Supervisor), I wanted to share my views regarding the rules replay and how it can possibly affect Anatomy. I have also suggested possible additions regarding Anatomy in this document, offered assistance to the Life Sciences Committee (should they need it), and discussed suggestions earlier in this thread. The main reason for my post was to relay my worries from both an author’s and competitor’s point of view, and I hope you didn’t view that as a formal complaint against NSO.

The only way to alter the event for the 2021 season is to add more topics for each 2020 system (which is what I predict they will do). However, my previous points regarding this event have long-lasting implications for competitors and discussing them in an open forum is a way to share my thoughts (that may also be relevant for other competitors). The fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology as an event is to test competitors in new systems every year and challenge them to adapt to these rotations. Additionally, Anatomy is an event every year and like feng mentioned, competitors that have competed for their entire high school career will be deprived of the experience in competing in all four rotations. Changing the systems isn’t changing the nature of the event nor complaining about the event being replayed (since this event is always replayed). In short, Anatomy and Physiology was MEANT to rotate.

Top scores for next year might be close as you mentioned, so I bid you good luck for your senior year. Reach out to me if needed.
Yeah, I mean I'm not trying to silence you or anything, or argue that your post was stupid, and I don't really get how your post could be seen as a complaint against NSO. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and ideas, as it just leads to a healthier discussion overall on this site. The more people sharing their thoughts the better!

All I'm trying to say is that it's going to be more productive at this point just to talk about the future than the past. The Scioly gods have spoken and have released and restated their decision multiple times now, even saying that they are open to small changes, which we can hopefully influence them to make. And thanks!
These users thanked the author pepperonipi for the post:
bearasauras (March 22nd, 2020, 8:52 pm)
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

pepperonipi wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 6:21 pm
svph300 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm While I understand the reasonings of NSO in the rules replay, the forum is an open space for individuals to discuss their thoughts and emotions regarding specific topics, including the rules replay. As a National Medalist, event supervisor and exam author of this event (who has also contributed questions to the Anatomy National Event Supervisor), I wanted to share my views regarding the rules replay and how it can possibly affect Anatomy. I have also suggested possible additions regarding Anatomy in this document, offered assistance to the Life Sciences Committee (should they need it), and discussed suggestions earlier in this thread. The main reason for my post was to relay my worries from both an author’s and competitor’s point of view, and I hope you didn’t view that as a formal complaint against NSO.

Yeah, I mean I'm not trying to silence you or anything, or argue that your post was stupid, and I don't really get how your post could be seen as a complaint against NSO. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and ideas, as it just leads to a healthier discussion overall on this site. The more people sharing their thoughts the better!

All I'm trying to say is that it's going to be more productive at this point just to talk about the future than the past. The Scioly gods have spoken and have released and restated their decision multiple times now, even saying that they are open to small changes, which we can hopefully influence them to make. And thanks!
I fully agree with pepperonipi on his views on NSO as a whole. I feel that what's done is done, and the leniency they have given us is gift, and we should be grateful with they have given us so far. I'm not saying that this is a bad discussion to have in the end, since say they say this and in the long chance they take it under consideration, and this is good for most of us who are arguing for change in the end. Let's focus on the future, not dwell on the past. :)
These users thanked the author MoMoney$$$;)0) for the post:
bearasauras (March 22nd, 2020, 8:52 pm)
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
AstroKing
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AstroKing »

2020 EVENTS ARE OFFICIALLY BEING REPLAYED FOR THE 2021 SCIOLY YEAR!!

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 031820.pdf
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

This was already well known?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

That is... the reason this thread was started?
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post:
Unome (March 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

AstroKing wrote: March 24th, 2020, 1:33 pm 2020 EVENTS ARE OFFICIALLY BEING REPLAYED FOR THE 2021 SCIOLY YEAR!!

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 031820.pdf
Did you read the Topic of the Forum?

(Or the first 2 reply's?)

No offence fam.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'