Replaying Events for 2021

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by sciolyperson1 »

AstroKing wrote: March 24th, 2020, 1:33 pm 2020 EVENTS ARE OFFICIALLY BEING REPLAYED FOR THE 2021 SCIOLY YEAR!!

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 031820.pdf
It's already been discussed in the CMS hangouts for a while now.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post (total 2):
Fallsbury (March 24th, 2020, 5:22 pm) • hmmm (March 24th, 2020, 8:26 pm)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
FiveW's
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FiveW's »

This has probably already been asked, but from what I can tell this means that Boom size requirements and gravity vehicle scoring will stay the same. Correct?
Avocado's Law
Creationist127
State: IN

Post by Creationist127 »

FiveW's wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:38 pm This has probably already been asked, but from what I can tell this means that Boom size requirements and gravity vehicle scoring will stay the same. Correct?
SOInc has said that they will "adjust" the rules for various events, though only a couple specific examples are given. I would assume (and hope) that both boom and gravity will be changed enough to merit some device redesign, but nobody can really say for sure.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Creationist127 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm
FiveW's wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:38 pm This has probably already been asked, but from what I can tell this means that Boom size requirements and gravity vehicle scoring will stay the same. Correct?
SOInc has said that they will "adjust" the rules for various events, though only a couple specific examples are given. I would assume (and hope) that both boom and gravity will be changed enough to merit some device redesign, but nobody can really say for sure.
I feel that there is a need for merit in the changing of your device from last year, since it will give a further objective in the event itself.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm
I feel that there is a need for merit in the changing of your device from last year, since it will give a further objective in the event itself.
The whole point of "replaying" 2020 rules is to allow for less well-funded teams, which were unable to test their devices and use their binders and study materials to use them this year. Adjusting the rules for events like builds not only defeats the purpose of allowing reused builds, but disadvantages teams which have lost coaches and lost funding. Removing, or switching out topics may not be great for these teams, but adding on topics allows both teams which have and have not competed to learn a larger variety of material and allow supervisors to write more challenging tests. This could be in the form of combining freshwater and saltwater topics for water quality, adding a system to anat, or simply adding topics which can be tested to events like road.

The forums community here is a large part of participants, but not diverse, as many of the less well off teams aren't active on forums, so opinions expressed by many here, which although seem like the majority, may not be.

Although personally I do wish there would be changes to events, I don't think changing specs on builds would benefit the Science Olympiad community as a whole, which I'm sure people like bear would agree. However, changing a way an event is scored, like weighing the time component of gravity more, or changing changing how the detector build is scored, would be beneficial. Changes like these would need to benefit the scoring distribution for teams, as I'm sure most people would agree with, scores for builds will be too close together next year.

I do hope that they go over score distributions for certain events, however. If you take a look at Princeton Score Distributions:
Boomilever: extremely skewed right. Many teams have scores between 0 and 1000.
Detector: extremely skewed left, primarily due to perfected builds.
Gravity: Extremely, extremely skewed right. Just luck.
PPP: Half of all teams at the invitational got between 5.5 seconds and 11 seconds.
Wright Stuff: skewed right. Most teams struggled to get anything more than 20 seconds.

Ideally, there would be a uniform or normal distribution (which is the case for most study events), but build events' rules need work in order to prevent their placements relying on luck too much.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post (total 11):
bearasauras (March 25th, 2020, 4:43 pm) • EwwPhysics (March 25th, 2020, 4:53 pm) • MadCow2357 (March 25th, 2020, 5:00 pm) • SilverBreeze (March 25th, 2020, 5:04 pm) • pepperonipi (March 25th, 2020, 5:09 pm) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 25th, 2020, 5:48 pm) • glaucophane (March 25th, 2020, 6:27 pm) • Giantpants (March 26th, 2020, 5:58 am) • gz839918 (March 26th, 2020, 10:44 am) • Unome (March 26th, 2020, 10:45 am) and one more user
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

Here's GGSO distributions, just as another example of what sciolyperson is saying. Basically everything he said about the builds scores applies again to this invitational.
These users thanked the author pepperonipi for the post:
MadCow2357 (March 25th, 2020, 5:00 pm)
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 4:37 pm

The whole point of "replaying" 2020 rules is to allow for less well-funded teams, which were unable to test their devices and use their binders and study materials to use them this year. Adjusting the rules for events like builds not only defeats the purpose of allowing reused builds, but disadvantages teams which have lost coaches and lost funding. Removing, or switching out topics may not be great for these teams, but adding on topics allows both teams which have and have not competed to learn a larger variety of material and allow supervisors to write more challenging tests. This could be in the form of combining freshwater and saltwater topics for water quality, adding a system to anat, or simply adding topics which can be tested to events like road.

The forums community here is a large part of participants, but not diverse, as many of the less well off teams aren't active on forums, so opinions expressed by many here, which although seem like the majority, may not be.

Although personally I do wish there would be changes to events, I don't think changing specs on builds would benefit the Science Olympiad community as a whole, which I'm sure people like bear would agree. However, changing a way an event is scored, like weighing the time component of gravity more, or changing changing how the detector build is scored, would be beneficial. Changes like these would need to benefit the scoring distribution for teams, as I'm sure most people would agree with, scores for builds will be too close together next year.

I do hope that they go over score distributions for certain events, however. If you take a look at Princeton Score Distributions:
PPP: Half of all teams at the invitational got between 5.5 seconds and 11 seconds.
Wright Stuff: skewed right. Most teams struggled to get anything more than 20 seconds.

Ideally, there would be a uniform or normal distribution (which is the case for most study events), but build events' rules need work in order to prevent their placements relying on luck too much.
I agree with what you're saying, but aren't your directions the wrong direction - Detector appears to be skewed right
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LIPX3 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 7:53 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I agree with what you're saying, but aren't your directions the wrong direction - Detector appears to be skewed right
Skew is the direction the "tail" of the graph points, not the "head"
These users thanked the author hmmm for the post (total 4):
sciolyperson1 (March 25th, 2020, 8:00 pm) • SilverBreeze (March 25th, 2020, 8:14 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (March 25th, 2020, 9:18 pm) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 26th, 2020, 9:29 am)
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

I feel that scores at the Solon invitational, which is one of the most competitive invitationals in my region; had awfully bad score curves. You can find raw scores here. For example, detector building ~20 of the teams had a score above 100 points, so it was heavily towards the left, while events like circuit lab where heavily pushed to the right, with about 100 point difference between 1st and 10th place. I feel like looking at the graphs at all of the invitational raw scores, you should be able to deduct which events need modification in the rules, and which events are all right and can retain rules.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
NewFlyer20002

Post by NewFlyer20002 »

The way I see it, either replay the season or continue to the next SO cycle. Most of the ones who seem to be commenting have realistic chances at going to Nationals. The rules can be modified for Nationals to make things more challenging/competitive. For the rest of us, just getting past regionals and making it to States is reason to celebrate our "heros". How many schools did not compete in Regionals or States this year? Of those teams, how many fly gliders at 18 seconds or more this year? Or make Boomilevers that can hold 15kg? Or flew WS as specified in the rules? I favor a replay to give those who did not get through Regionals/States the oppourtunity to display their efforts and hard work. This years rising 8th graders and graduating seniors are most disappointed since they are moving on. That alone will change the make up of next years teams and ability.

Replay the year and don't be afraid of the events being more competitive. Instead of being the biggest fish in the pond, now you get to feel like the small fish in the ocean and get pushed to be even better. It will build a character that will benefit you in the future. ;-)

Stay safe everyone.
NewFlyer20002
These users thanked the author NewFlyer20002 for the post (total 4):
bearasauras (March 26th, 2020, 10:21 am) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 26th, 2020, 10:34 am) • Tailsfan101 (March 26th, 2020, 10:38 am) • lars (April 16th, 2020, 2:01 pm)

Return to “General Competition”