Replaying Events for 2021

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by pb5754 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:44 am You can find raw scores here.
are these supposed to be publicly available?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

pb5754 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
Never said they couldn't be, and they're also on the Solon Invitational Forum as well I'm pretty sure.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

NewFlyer20002 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:16 am The way I see it, either replay the season or continue to the next SO cycle. Most of the ones who seem to be commenting have realistic chances at going to Nationals. The rules can be modified for Nationals to make things more challenging/competitive. For the rest of us, just getting past regionals and making it to States is reason to celebrate our "heros". How many schools did not compete in Regionals or States this year? Of those teams, how many fly gliders at 18 seconds or more this year? Or make Boomilevers that can hold 15kg? Or flew WS as specified in the rules? I favor a replay to give those who did not get through Regionals/States the oppourtunity to display their efforts and hard work. This years rising 8th graders and graduating seniors are most disappointed since they are moving on. That alone will change the make up of next years teams and ability.

Replay the year and don't be afraid of the events being more competitive. Instead of being the biggest fish in the pond, now you get to feel like the small fish in the ocean and get pushed to be even better. It will build a character that will benefit you in the future. ;-)

Stay safe everyone.
NewFlyer20002
Taking this under consideration will be hard for everyone to understand, and I feel for that reason we need to make tweaks not big changes as the National Advisors are saying. I feel we should further discuss what NewFlyer is saying here as well.
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am
Never said they couldn't be, and they're also on the Solon Invitational Forum as well I'm pretty sure.
They did not, and shouldn't be.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

NewFlyer20002 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:16 am Replay the year and don't be afraid of the events being more competitive. Instead of being the biggest fish in the pond, now you get to feel like the small fish in the ocean and get pushed to be even better. It will build a character that will benefit you in the future. ;-)
When everyone becomes a "small fish in the ocean", everyone's equal -- the size of the fish won't even matter anymore.
These users thanked the author builderguy135 for the post:
MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 26th, 2020, 12:47 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

sciolyperson1 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 11:26 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

They did not, and shouldn't be.
Big oof, my bad. I mean I thought they meant only tests wouldn't be publicly put out, not the scores (since it doesn't really make a difference if they're out or not, since most of the invitationals I've been to have put out everything online, but I personally feel that way and not everyone agrees). :shock:
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Also, I was curious if anyone knows what trial events are going to be released to be done next year, since I recollect that in the letter put out, they are going to be "official" trial events or so to say. Anyways just curious.
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

If event rules were completely replayed, it would be interesting, though impractical, to see many trials that would be counted in the team score. It would be a way to separate teams without wasting this season's hard work and materials, and having 7 or so would let each team member pick up a new event. For teams that just want to put this year's effort to use and get a chance to compete, they could compete in official events only. The obvious downside is how infeasible it would be to host so many additional events.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 26th, 2020, 2:07 pm If event rules were completely replayed, it would be interesting, though impractical, to see many trials that would be counted in the team score. It would be a way to separate teams without wasting this season's hard work and materials, and having 7 or so would let each team member pick up a new event. For teams that just want to put this year's effort to use and get a chance to compete, they could compete in official events only. The obvious downside is how infeasible it would be to host so many additional events.
Another downside to having ~7 trials count toward the final score is that many smaller teams, such as my team, would have a very hard time covering every event. We struggle to cover 23 as it is; if we had to cover 30 (or even 25 or 26), we might not have enough people.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Even with Trial Events, most tournaments will only count 23 events toward the overall team score.

Return to “General Competition”