Replaying Events for 2021

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 3165
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 133 times
Contact:

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 30th, 2020, 9:16 am

Name wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 7:58 pm
I only skimmed this, but a few tidbits

1. Trial events are an opportunity for our alternates to compete. By making them count, that would take away what may be their one chance of competing.
2. Unless trial events are standardized (which given they semi are next year), it would be kinda annoying to study a event endlessly, only to be able to compete in it once or twice. If you fully standardize trials, you might as well make them official scioly events and implement a drop x amount of events rule.
3. I'm of the opinion that consistentcy is key for any scioly team. If a more consistent team beats a less consistent team with a bomb or two, the more consistent team deserves the nationals bid. It wouldn't be fair to steal it from them because if you drop x amount of events the other team would win.
4. Scioly is a science competition. But states us also meant to select the best team to represent them at nationals. Therefore the fairest way to do that is to score the same way that nationals does it.
Hardcore agree with everything here. I am a strong proponent of ALL states matching whatever nationals does. It's the fairest method across the board. If nationals ever goes to the "28 minus 5" model, then I'd want every state to match that, but NSO fleshes out the 23 events more than most states ever flesh out their trials, so I've always thought it unnecessary and a bit unfair add their own events as official scoring events.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 8):
Unome (March 30th, 2020, 9:24 am) • svph300 (March 30th, 2020, 10:07 am) • CPScienceDude (March 30th, 2020, 10:18 am) • jaspattack (March 30th, 2020, 10:34 am) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 30th, 2020, 10:42 am) • pb5754 (March 30th, 2020, 2:00 pm) • Name (March 31st, 2020, 3:16 pm) • lumosityfan (April 17th, 2020, 2:09 pm)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

SOPomo
Member
Member
Posts: 120
Joined: March 7th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by SOPomo » April 22nd, 2020, 12:22 pm

So... who thinks next season is going to happen, at least as we've known Olympiad to exist?

Universities are talking of moving classes online for at least the fall ... schools are talking about A/B schedules or expanding the school day somehow ... Bill Gates and others don't think large gatherings are coming back until there's a vaccine 12-18 months from now ... as states are considering opening up at the height of the pandemic in America ...

Who has any thoughts about what the 2020-2021 season is going to look like?

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 309
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by BennyTheJett » April 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm

Science Olympiad needs to start working on online competitions and what those are going to look like. That's my take.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 2):
dakota71 (April 22nd, 2020, 1:06 pm) • builderguy135 (April 22nd, 2020, 5:44 pm)
Menomonie Scioly

2021 Events:
Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Possibly Geocaching.


X.

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 817
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by sciolyperson1 » April 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm
Science Olympiad needs to start working on online competitions and what those are going to look like. That's my take.
Impossible in the near future, the insurance policy doesn't cover online and virtual tournaments. I think @bearasauras can explain it better and go into depth about it.
Iolani's virtual competition (2016?) was shut down for a similar reason. It's also why the pseudonats discord made sure to eliminate themselves of any issue that could occur with soinc shutting them down.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17




Rate my tests!

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: In Cleveland Somewhere
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » April 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm
BennyTheJett wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm
Science Olympiad needs to start working on online competitions and what those are going to look like. That's my take.
Impossible in the near future, the insurance policy doesn't cover online and virtual tournaments. I think @bearasauras can explain it better and go into depth about it.
Iolani's virtual competition (2016?) was shut down for a similar reason. It's also why the pseudonats discord made sure to eliminate themselves of any issue that could occur with soinc shutting them down.
I mean I guess they can take a look into having separate events on certain days only, and no rewards ceremony; similar to multi-day competitions. Just a suggestion, but it would be tricky to plan out.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 490
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by pb5754 » April 22nd, 2020, 8:06 pm

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm
BennyTheJett wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm
Science Olympiad needs to start working on online competitions and what those are going to look like. That's my take.
Impossible in the near future, the insurance policy doesn't cover online and virtual tournaments. I think @bearasauras can explain it better and go into depth about it.
Iolani's virtual competition (2016?) was shut down for a similar reason. It's also why the pseudonats discord made sure to eliminate themselves of any issue that could occur with soinc shutting them down.
I mean I guess they can take a look into having separate events on certain days only, and no rewards ceremony; similar to multi-day competitions. Just a suggestion, but it would be tricky to plan out.
Separate events on separate days sounds like an absolute logistical nightmare.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: In Cleveland Somewhere
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » April 22nd, 2020, 8:19 pm

pb5754 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:06 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm


Impossible in the near future, the insurance policy doesn't cover online and virtual tournaments. I think @bearasauras can explain it better and go into depth about it.
Iolani's virtual competition (2016?) was shut down for a similar reason. It's also why the pseudonats discord made sure to eliminate themselves of any issue that could occur with soinc shutting them down.
I mean I guess they can take a look into having separate events on certain days only, and no rewards ceremony; similar to multi-day competitions. Just a suggestion, but it would be tricky to plan out.
Separate events on separate days sounds like an absolute logistical nightmare.
I mean it's a possible way to do it, just not necessarily the easiest or the best taking the time into consideration. The things looking as they are, next year scioly looks to probably be canceled to, so not much to expect. :cry:
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

User avatar
pepperonipi
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 177
Joined: January 21st, 2019, 11:38 am
Division: C
State: FL
Location: adding wiki templates lol
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 263 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by pepperonipi » April 23rd, 2020, 1:34 pm

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:19 pm
pb5754 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:06 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm


I mean I guess they can take a look into having separate events on certain days only, and no rewards ceremony; similar to multi-day competitions. Just a suggestion, but it would be tricky to plan out.
Separate events on separate days sounds like an absolute logistical nightmare.
I mean it's a possible way to do it, just not necessarily the easiest or the best taking the time into consideration. The things looking as they are, next year scioly looks to probably be canceled to, so not much to expect. :cry:
Are you sure? Considering how things are looking (some states are already starting to open up), I wouldn't jump to this conclusion so soon

I don't know how things will turn out in the next few months, so that's not a definite "you're wrong," I just don't think that conclusion should be assumed so quickly
Thank you to all who helped out with WikiProject Tournaments of States! <3

Boca Raton Community High School
My Wiki Page | School Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WIDI

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: In Cleveland Somewhere
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » April 23rd, 2020, 3:52 pm

pepperonipi wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 1:34 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:19 pm
pb5754 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:06 pm

Separate events on separate days sounds like an absolute logistical nightmare.
I mean it's a possible way to do it, just not necessarily the easiest or the best taking the time into consideration. The things looking as they are, next year scioly looks to probably be canceled to, so not much to expect. :cry:
Are you sure? Considering how things are looking (some states are already starting to open up), I wouldn't jump to this conclusion so soon

I don't know how things will turn out in the next few months, so that's not a definite "you're wrong," I just don't think that conclusion should be assumed so quickly
Yeah, but where I live things are getting more and more stricter about going out, schooling, etc.; so I don't think I have a fair representation of what's going on other places. There's a good possibility of anything to happen so it's just wait and see, and I totally agree that's it's to early to assume anything.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

wenbox480
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: August 21st, 2020, 12:54 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Replaying Events for 2021

Post by wenbox480 » August 23rd, 2020, 9:45 am

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:19 pm
pb5754 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:06 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm


I mean I guess they can take a look into having separate events on certain days only, and no rewards ceremony; similar to multi-day competitions. Just a suggestion, but it would be tricky to plan out.
Separate events on separate days sounds like an absolute logistical nightmare.
I mean it's a possible way to do it, just not necessarily the easiest or the best taking the time into consideration. The things looking as they are, next year scioly looks to probably be canceled to, so not much to expect. :cry:
I guess we have online comps now.

Post Reply

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests