Unosmium Results and the SciolyFF

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
RoboMarth
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Unosmium Results and the SciolyFF

Post by RoboMarth »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the dearth of responses on my part recently and following bad news.

I am currently struggling quite a bit with coursework/life, so I have decided to make it a priority going forward and am going to take a break from managing all but the crucial parts of Unosmium Results. Thus I will not be able to guarantee that results besides those listed in Upcoming will be uploaded for the next few months. All the results that you have sent have been saved, and I will resume uploading them sometime in the future.

This does expose a weakness in Unosmium Results, in that there is bottleneck through me in regards to adding information. Unfortunately there is no easy solution, as unlike the Wiki, the structure of the data is more strict and currently cannot be easily community-managed. Will look into improving this going forward, when I return.
itsDerk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by itsDerk »

RoboMarth wrote: February 7th, 2020, 5:15 pm Hi everyone,

I am currently struggling quite a bit with coursework/life, so I have decided to make it a priority going forward and am going to take a break from managing all but the crucial parts of Unosmium Results. Thus I will not be able to guarantee that results besides those listed in Upcoming will be uploaded for the next few months. All the results that you have sent have been saved, and I will resume uploading them sometime in the future.

This does expose a weakness in Unosmium Results, in that there is bottleneck through me in regards to adding information. Unfortunately there is no easy solution, as unlike the Wiki, the structure of the data is more strict and currently cannot be easily community-managed. Will look into improving this going forward, when I return.
Good luck! Thanks for all your efforts so far with Unosmium, it's lowkey been a gamechanger.
Solon High School Captain '20
UChicago '24
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

RoboMarth wrote: February 7th, 2020, 5:15 pm Hi everyone,

Thank you for telling us this, and thank you for all you've already done for Unosmium. You have been doing a great thing for the SciOly community.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Should I still submit Brown Results like I was planning to?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
RoboMarth

Post by RoboMarth »

A small thing: support for displaying subdivisions has been added.

See for example the following tournaments:
Solon Invitational
Boyceville Invitational
Palatine Invitational

Subdivisions can be filtered by clicking the icon to the right of the "By Rank" dropdown.

Hoping to get back to uploading results soon.
These users thanked the author RoboMarth for the post:
gz839918 (March 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm)
RoboMarth

Post by RoboMarth »

Support for medal and trophy highlights up to a custom place/rank have been added. Example:
https://unosmium.org/results/2019-03-16_ny_states_c

By default, the value for event medals is (# of teams / 10) rounded up and the value for team trophies is (# of teams / 6) rounded up to match the ratios at Nationals. If this is incorrect for any specific tournament, please let me know and I can adjust the setting for that tournament. Thanks!

P.S. I have started working on adding results again, so feel free to submit result templates. It still might be a while before I get to yours, but I can give it a quick review and let you know what needs correcting. My main focus however is going to be making a scoring system (offline + online) that can produce these result displays automatically, so something to look forward to for next season 8-).
These users thanked the author RoboMarth for the post (total 12):
jaspattack (May 6th, 2020, 8:15 am) • MadCow2357 (May 6th, 2020, 8:41 am) • gz839918 (May 6th, 2020, 8:53 am) • Tailsfan101 (May 6th, 2020, 10:29 am) • Umaroth (May 6th, 2020, 10:29 am) • Unome (May 6th, 2020, 11:23 am) • Nydauron (May 6th, 2020, 2:02 pm) • Assassinator (May 6th, 2020, 2:11 pm) • pb5754 (May 6th, 2020, 2:26 pm) • Adi1008 (May 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm) and 2 more users
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

RoboMarth wrote: May 6th, 2020, 6:09 am My main focus however is going to be making a scoring system (offline + online) that can produce these result displays automatically, so something to look forward to for next season 8-).
This sounds appealing! If done well, hopefully this can one day reduce the number of tournaments that do not publicly publish results well by giving them a better avenue to publicly share their results.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help. :)
These users thanked the author pepperonipi for the post:
RoboMarth (May 6th, 2020, 4:02 pm)
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

RoboMarth wrote: May 6th, 2020, 6:09 am Support for medal and trophy highlights up to a custom place/rank have been added. Example:
https://unosmium.org/results/2019-03-16_ny_states_c

By default, the value for event medals is (# of teams / 10) rounded up and the value for team trophies is (# of teams / 6) rounded up to match the ratios at Nationals. If this is incorrect for any specific tournament, please let me know and I can adjust the setting for that tournament. Thanks!

P.S. I have started working on adding results again, so feel free to submit result templates. It still might be a while before I get to yours, but I can give it a quick review and let you know what needs correcting. My main focus however is going to be making a scoring system (offline + online) that can produce these result displays automatically, so something to look forward to for next season 8-).
About the default values, personally I think it would be easier to create a box in the spreadsheet where people could input the number of event medals/team trophies (if known) as I think most tournaments don't really follow the Nationals ratios (ofc i dont exactly know how easy that would be to implement that, but it doesn't sound too hard?)
These users thanked the author pb5754 for the post:
RoboMarth (May 6th, 2020, 6:27 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
RoboMarth

Post by RoboMarth »

pb5754 wrote: May 6th, 2020, 5:01 pm About the default values, personally I think it would be easier to create a box in the spreadsheet where people could input the number of event medals/team trophies (if known) as I think most tournaments don't really follow the Nationals ratios (ofc i dont exactly know how easy that would be to implement that, but it doesn't sound too hard?)
I've been avoiding changing the spreadsheet for now while we work on getting through backlog of results, but that is definitely a good idea for the future. Currently the only difference it makes is that I have to type something such as "medals: 5" in a file after I convert the spreadsheet; I've been doing this already with the "short name:" field (see here for example).

There's probably a better formula for default that takes into account that some values are more common than other no matter the number of teams (for example having 6 medals seems more common than 5 or 7); may try to implement this in the future if a clearer pattern emerges.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

RoboMarth wrote: May 6th, 2020, 5:35 pm
I've been avoiding changing the spreadsheet for now while we work on getting through backlog of results...
I'm guessing about half of those are mine...

It's great to see you're getting back to working on this! I look forward to seeing the developments you'll be making for Unosmium in the future.
These users thanked the author Tailsfan101 for the post:
RoboMarth (May 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “General Competition”