Where are you going for colleges?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
sneepity
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Post by sneepity »

Honestly I might go to Stony Brook University, it's pretty decent. But who doesn't aim high? Also I'm getting wayyy too worried about the future- I haven't even started taking AP Classes yet.
B)
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by EwwPhysics »

sneepity wrote: May 11th, 2020, 6:21 pm Also I'm getting wayyy too worried about the future- I haven't even started taking AP Classes yet.
We're still in middle school, try not to stress! My goal for high school is to have fun, and take classes because I want to take them, not to take a million AP classes on subjects that I'm not passionate about.... but unfortunately the extremely competitive nature of my high school is such that I will probably start comparing myself to other people who take more AP classes or get better grades :oops: Let's hope it doesn't come to that...
Good luck in high school :) I hope you can find the time to do what you love, whatever that may be!
These users thanked the author EwwPhysics for the post:
sneepity (May 12th, 2020, 11:12 am)
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

EwwPhysics wrote: May 12th, 2020, 7:26 am
sneepity wrote: May 11th, 2020, 6:21 pm Also I'm getting wayyy too worried about the future- I haven't even started taking AP Classes yet.
We're still in middle school, try not to stress! My goal for high school is to have fun, and take classes because I want to take them, not to take a million AP classes on subjects that I'm not passionate about.... but unfortunately the extremely competitive nature of my high school is such that I will probably start comparing myself to other people who take more AP classes or get better grades :oops: Let's hope it doesn't come to that...
Good luck in high school :) I hope you can find the time to do what you love, whatever that may be!
Thank you so much EwwPhysics! I aspire to take classes which I like too, but I'm imposing myself on high standards. Maybe I should stop. Thank you for reassuring me! :)
B)
Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Booknerd »

sneepity wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:13 am
Thank you so much EwwPhysics! I aspire to take classes which I like too, but I'm imposing myself on high standards. Maybe I should stop. Thank you for reassuring me! :)
Yes, don't impose too high standards on yourselves. I'm still in middle school too and I already feel a little burnout because I push myself too much. It's nice to have goals, but we shouldn't overwhelm ourselves with them. I guess this is a learning experience for us all ;)
These users thanked the author Booknerd for the post:
sneepity (May 12th, 2020, 11:43 am)
We don't talk about Pentathlon.
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

Booknerd wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:36 am

Yes, don't impose too high standards on yourselves. I'm still in middle school too and I already feel a little burnout because I push myself too much. It's nice to have goals, but we shouldn't overwhelm ourselves with them. I guess this is a learning experience for us all ;)
Thanks! I'm trying too. I just hope I won't fail my classes, but if I'm average, I won't go to a good university. Guess we all need a break.
B)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by BennyTheJett »

sneepity wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:54 am

Thanks! I'm trying too. I just hope I won't fail my classes, but if I'm average, I won't go to a good university. Guess we all need a break.
I was in this same boat my freshman year, but then I realized that the uni you go to doesn't matter a ton. There are plenty of the same degrees out there, and some "lesser" universities are way cheaper. Do you want to pay extra for the clout of the university? Just something to consider.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post:
sneepity (May 12th, 2020, 11:58 am)
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

BennyTheJett wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:57 am

I was in this same boat my freshman year, but then I realized that the uni you go to doesn't matter a ton. There are plenty of the same degrees out there, and some "lesser" universities are way cheaper. Do you want to pay extra for the clout of the university? Just something to consider.
That's true. Maybe Ivies are just trying to get money from students because they're Ivies. I still have time to consider though.
B)
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by EwwPhysics »

sneepity wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:59 am
That's true. Maybe Ivies are just trying to get money from students because they're Ivies. I still have time to consider though.
Very true. There are some benefits to going to more selective/prestigious universities, but it may not be worth it for the cost (depending on how much scholarship money you get), and you'll get a good education even if you don't get into Harvard. Something else to consider is that these universities are often known for how stressed and busy the students are... maybe it would be better to go somewhere that yes, you'll have to work hard and you'll learn a lot, but not where your mental health will be damaged because of all the work.
We'll have plenty of time to think about all this stuff when we're older, best not to stress about it too much now.
These users thanked the author EwwPhysics for the post:
sneepity (May 12th, 2020, 1:37 pm)
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

EwwPhysics wrote: May 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm
sneepity wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:59 am

Very true. There are some benefits to going to more selective/prestigious universities, but it may not be worth it for the cost (depending on how much scholarship money you get), and you'll get a good education even if you don't get into Harvard. Something else to consider is that these universities are often known for how stressed and busy the students are... maybe it would be better to go somewhere that yes, you'll have to work hard and you'll learn a lot, but not where your mental health will be damaged because of all the work.
We'll have plenty of time to think about all this stuff when we're older, best not to stress about it too much now.
True! Thank you!
B)
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

People who go to selective colleges often have an easier time getting jobs and/or internships because of the name of the school. However, if you're willing to work a little harder to make more connections or stand out in the crowd, you could do very well not going to a big name school. Also, once you graduate and enter the workforce where you went to college isn't going to matter very much.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “General Chat”