Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by sneepity »

sneepity wrote: May 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm
pb5754 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 6:55 am
SilverBreeze wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Just going to throw out here that unless there's a huge discrepancy between the academic rigor of your high school and middle school (even so, SciOly should have taught you something about work ethic), your main issues, if at all, will likely be social, not academic.
Agreed. I lowkey found high school to be easier than middle school.
I mean, shouldn't that be the case, because when you transition from elementary to middle, won't anyone have a hard time? There's double the work, so ofc it's gonna be hard. But next year, I'm gonna be in the same school, just in 9th. Apparently we're gonna get double the work. :-{l)
pikachu4919 wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:33 pm
TheChiScientist wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:32 pm I must say pika has inspired me. Hehehe.
To do an avatar change? Plenty of people do that all the time :P
hehe more like once a day
B)
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

BennyTheJett wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:12 pm Trust me, when you get into high school, it passes faster. Still not sure how I'm going into my senior year. Does your school do freshman hazing, or is that more of a rural school thing?
So true it goes in a flash. Hazings everywhere, but as long as you stick with the right crowd there's nothing to talk about. Just make sure you know who your real friends are. BTW trust me on enjoying high school not just socially but academically; don't worry about trying to be the best at anything, you just have to be who you are and know your limits. :D
These users thanked the author MoMoney$$$;)0) for the post (total 2):
LittleMissNyan (May 27th, 2020, 4:43 pm) • sneepity (May 27th, 2020, 5:59 pm)
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
sneepity
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:22 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:12 pm Trust me, when you get into high school, it passes faster. Still not sure how I'm going into my senior year. Does your school do freshman hazing, or is that more of a rural school thing?
So true it goes in a flash. Hazings everywhere, but as long as you stick with the right crowd there's nothing to talk about. Just make sure you know who your real friends are. BTW trust me on enjoying high school not just socially but academically; don't worry about trying to be the best at anything, you just have to be who you are and know your limits. :D
Yeah, just some words of advice from me- stick with the people who care about you, instead of running after people who don't care about you. Because the people who care about you think you're worth it. Some people suck all the time tho, just avoid them.
B)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

sneepity wrote: May 27th, 2020, 6:00 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Yeah, just some words of advice from me- stick with the people who care about you, instead of running after people who don't care about you. Because the people who care about you think you're worth it. Some people suck all the time tho, just avoid them.
Near the beginning if you're likely to be targeted I'd actually recommend finding a decent friend group and maybe staying around them at school for safety in numbers. They don't have to be your closest friends, nor do you have to actively seek to spend time with them, just find people that won't actively try to hurt/mock you and preferably would stand up for you. Later on or whenever you're less likely to be targeted it's better to stay on your own or find friends that genuinely care about you.

That being said, if you're not likely to be hazed or bullied on your own, or if the only "friends" you have would pick on you anyway, it's far better to be alone than around people trying to make you feel bad. Don't let being afraid of being by yourself make you seek harmful people.

That was not entirely coherent but I hope it helped.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Honestly, high school isn't as bad as some people say it is. Middle school was much worse, in my opinion. Just don't forget to reach out if you need it, you know? It's very easy to get overwhelmed when it comes to high school, so try and keep your future self in mind. Getting work done now will always pay off later.

The main thing about high school is just that there's an adjustment period your freshman year where you get sort of used to everything, but you'll probably end up getting into the groove pretty quick. Enjoy your first two years, because junior year will hit you like a truck and the feeling won't go away until you graduate.
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post:
MadCow2357 (May 29th, 2020, 4:14 pm)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

I personally haven't had any problems, but I think you guys will be fine. Just manage your time well. Easier said than done, but I think you'll learn it well.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Unless it's the kind of class where your time is best spent not paying attention, try to get a seat close to the teacher. It does a lot for deterring kids picking on you unless the teacher doesn't care. (cough)

Academically the transition wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but make sure you don't have the expectation that it will be the same as middle school.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Nydauron »

I agree that high school is better than middle school. I felt like I found "my mini tribe" you could say. While it is more challenging, it felt more memorable. My high school years were all a grind, but trust me, in the end, you will get through it; time management was key! There were a lot more extracurriculars that I explored. I made new friends along the way and enjoyed my time as a high schooler. Enjoy it while you are still young; the years definitely flew by for me!

Now, I will say, university is a whole other level. Freshman year of uni didn't really feel like freshman year of high school since you are kind of preconditioned already. But like with anything, it took a while to get used to. While the feeling of living away from home seemed weird at first, I learned after my first year that uni is meant to be a collaborative effort. I enjoyed the extra freedom and the ability to balance my life the way I want to. You will meet a vast range of people: some of which may be just like you! Some even might become your closest friends. At uni, I was really surprised how well I fitted in. I met some of my closest friends, and so far, we have had a blast together! Trying to tackle university solo is tough. Friends are meant to be there to help when you need it the most. Friends are meant to be there so that you can conquer any problems you face. Friends are meant to create those memorable adventures.

As a side note to uni in general, while bounds are essential and should be respected, I feel going to university means you also go there for not only the academics but also for the new experiences. Otherwise, might as well be going to an online university. (Basically sums up my 8-week experience this past semester.:roll:) Don't be afraid to go out and have some fun here and there!!
These users thanked the author Nydauron for the post (total 2):
sneepity (May 28th, 2020, 10:19 am) • MadCow2357 (May 29th, 2020, 4:15 pm)
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
Pi-Bot

Post by Pi-Bot »

Nydauron wrote: May 28th, 2020, 3:11 am I agree that high school is better than middle school. I felt like I found "my mini tribe" you could say. While it is more challenging, it felt more memorable. My high school years were all a grind, but trust me, in the end, you will get through it; time management was key! There were a lot more extracurriculars that I explored. I made new friends along the way and enjoyed my time as a high schooler. Enjoy it while you are still young; the years definitely flew by for me!

Now, I will say, university is a whole other level. Freshman year of uni didn't really feel like freshman year of high school since you are kind of preconditioned already. But like with anything, it took a while to get used to. While the feeling of living away from home seemed weird at first, I learned after my first year that uni is meant to be a collaborative effort. I enjoyed the extra freedom and the ability to balance my life the way I want to. You will meet a vast range of people: some of which may be just like you! Some even might become your closest friends. At uni, I was really surprised how well I fitted in. I met some of my closest friends, and so far, we have had a blast together! Trying to tackle university solo is tough. Friends are meant to be there to help when you need it the most. Friends are meant to be there so that you can conquer any problems you face. Friends are meant to create those memorable adventures.

As a side note to uni in general, while bounds are essential and should be respected, I feel going to university means you also go there for not only the academics but also for the new experiences. Otherwise, might as well be going to an online university. (Basically sums up my 8-week experience this past semester.:roll:) Don't be afraid to go out and have some fun here and there!!
Arg, I don't think I'm going to survive I guess I could use another way to spice it up.
~~~ This message was posted completely with code (dm: no, ver: 2.0.0). If there is an error, please contact pepperonipi in the signature. ~~~
Disruptions could happen over the next few days. If anything serious, please DM pepperonipi.
Hey! I'm Pi-Bot, a Transmutation Hovertruck created by pepperonipi! I post at specified times with no human around. If you have any questions about me, please message pepperonipi!

Wiki: Contributions | Tasks
Forums: Changelog
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Nydauron wrote: May 28th, 2020, 3:11 am I agree that high school is better than middle school. I felt like I found "my mini tribe" you could say. While it is more challenging, it felt more memorable. My high school years were all a grind, but trust me, in the end, you will get through it; time management was key! There were a lot more extracurriculars that I explored. I made new friends along the way and enjoyed my time as a high schooler. Enjoy it while you are still young; the years definitely flew by for me!

Agree 10% with this post. High school was a much better experience overall than middle school, but most of my favorite school-related memories are from college.

One thing I do want to ADD is that it is much harder to do as many extracurriculars in college at once as you do in high school. Generally you want to spend more time on things like academics, life experiences, and generally maintaining your living space than you did in high school, so your extra bandwidth will be limited. My recommendation is to pick one (or two if you're ambitious) activities to jump headlong into and experience to the fullest. If it's not what you expected early on, it's okay to switch between activities, but I think the experiences you'll get are much more fulfilling if you go all-in. Division D is an excellent option, but there are so many other special interest clubs that you can go as far outside your comfort zone as you want to.

Final note: not every day in college is going to be sunshine and rainbows. There are going to be rough days. But there can also be days you'll be lucky to experience, if you let yourself.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 2):
Nydauron (May 28th, 2020, 12:43 pm) • MadCow2357 (May 29th, 2020, 4:16 pm)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “General Chat”