Most Competitive States

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Most Competitive States

Post by Booknerd » June 5th, 2020, 6:39 pm

I feel like there have been lots of states that have been known to be extremely competitive and are notorious for teams that consistently do well at nats. I thought this could be a topic for discussion. Which states do you think are the most competitive? Least competitive?

Maybe to organize state rankings in terms of competitiveness, they could be categorized into 4 groups:
-Notoriously Extreme: States with consistently high-ranking nats teams and highly competitive state tournaments, 3+ nationally recognized powerhouse teams
-Competitive: States with 1-2 powerhouse teams, strong teams, but not a state that is notorious for being extremely competitive
-Simple: A state that doesn't stand out as competitive, but doesn't stand out as very uncompetitive either
-Passive: A state that is recognized as one that is not as competitive as other states

I don't mean to start a fiery debate over this; I just want to see if there are some generalizations that can be made about certain states.
These users thanked the author Booknerd for the post:
jaggie34 (June 5th, 2020, 6:42 pm)
Alvin Avocado Fan Club :P
Alvin Avocado?
He’s the cutest plant you’ll ever see.
Alvin Avocado?
Someday he’ll become a big tree.
Alvin Avocado?
I really hope he doesn’t die.
Alvin Avocado?
He’s my very own plant, that’s why.
Alvin Avocado!

jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Most Competitive States

Post by jaggie34 » June 5th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Booknerd wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 6:39 pm
I feel like there have been lots of states that have been known to be extremely competitive and are notorious for teams that consistently do well at nats. I thought this could be a topic for discussion. Which states do you think are the most competitive? Least competitive?

Maybe to organize state rankings in terms of competitiveness, they could be categorized into 4 groups:
-Notoriously Extreme: States with consistently high-ranking nats teams and highly competitive state tournaments, 3+ nationally recognized powerhouse teams
-Competitive: States with 1-2 powerhouse teams, strong teams, but not a state that is notorious for being extremely competitive
-Simple: A state that doesn't stand out as competitive, but doesn't stand out as very uncompetitive either
-Passive: A state that is recognized as one that is not as competitive as other states

I don't mean to start a fiery debate over this; I just want to see if there are some generalizations that can be made about certain states.
As a Floridian, I'd say we're low Competitive tier
Boca Raton Community High School -> Georgia Institute of Technology
Event Writing: Circuit Lab
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion! (until they come back :D )
and Circuit Lab too I guess
Click here to meet my wiki father!

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 » June 5th, 2020, 7:31 pm

RI is passive for sure lmfao
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

SilverBreeze
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by SilverBreeze » June 5th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Do we need to talk about California?
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

Name
State: NY

Post by Name » June 6th, 2020, 12:13 am

-Notoriously Extreme: NorCal, Michigan (-), New Jersey, Ohio(+), Pennsylvania, Texas
-Competitive: SoCal(+), Florida (-), Georgia, New York, North Carolina, Virginia (-), Washington (-)
-Simple: Connecticut, Hawaii, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts (+), Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, Wisconsin
-Passive: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado (+), Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming, DC

Kinda subjective so sorry if you disagree.
For Notoriously Extreme I put in a criteria that the race for a nats bid was uncertain (why SoCal is not there). Differentiating between Simple and Passive was for the most part just nationals placings.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi <3
Events!: Astro :?: , Code <3 , Fossils :cry:

2019-2020 Season
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2/3
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3/8

Success is not an option, it is an obligation.

SilverBreeze
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze » June 6th, 2020, 2:05 am

Name wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:13 am
-Notoriously Extreme: NorCal, Michigan (-), New Jersey, Ohio(+), Pennsylvania, Texas
-Competitive: SoCal(+), Florida (-), Georgia, New York, North Carolina, Virginia (-), Washington (-)
-Simple: Connecticut, Hawaii, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts (+), Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, Wisconsin
-Passive: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado (+), Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming, DC

For Notoriously Extreme I put in a criteria that the race for a nats bid was uncertain (why SoCal is not there). Differentiating between Simple and Passive was for the most part just nationals placings.
Not too familiar with other states, but I think SoCal Div. B qualifies for Notoriously Extreme. Div. B and C tend to be similar, so grouping them together makes sense, but not always.
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

Booknerd
State: IL

Post by Booknerd » June 6th, 2020, 5:57 am

Name wrote:

Where's Illinois?
Would you consider Illinois to be on the notoriously extreme or the competitive? (I think that DWJHS, Marie Murphy, New Trier, and Adlai Stevenson could be considered powerhouses)
Alvin Avocado Fan Club :P
Alvin Avocado?
He’s the cutest plant you’ll ever see.
Alvin Avocado?
Someday he’ll become a big tree.
Alvin Avocado?
I really hope he doesn’t die.
Alvin Avocado?
He’s my very own plant, that’s why.
Alvin Avocado!

pb5754
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 » June 6th, 2020, 6:00 am

Booknerd wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 5:57 am
Name wrote:

Where's Illinois?
Would you consider Illinois to be on the notoriously extreme or the competitive? (I think that DWJHS, Marie Murphy, New Trier, and Adlai Stevenson could be considered powerhouses)
I'd put Illinois into competitive (for both divisions).
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by gz839918 » June 6th, 2020, 6:48 am

A look at how this topic has changed over time:

The corresponding thread from 2012
The corresponding thread from 2016

It'll be absolutely fascinating to see what folks say 4 years from now, when people will look back at us in 2020 and wonder why things have changed or stayed the same after all these years.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post (total 2):
Booknerd (June 6th, 2020, 7:29 am) • Unome (June 6th, 2020, 10:09 am)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

EwwPhysics
State: PA

Post by EwwPhysics » June 6th, 2020, 7:06 am

SilverBreeze wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 2:05 am
Name wrote:

Not too familiar with other states, but I think SoCal Div. B qualifies for Notoriously Extreme. Div. B and C tend to be similar, so grouping them together makes sense, but not always.
Yeah, div B vs div C makes a difference in some states. For example, I’d put PA C as Notoriously Extreme, but PA B as maybe the higher end of Competitive (although we’ve been getting more competitive recently with Harlan Rowe etc)
Bala Cynwyd Middle School Class of '20 --> Lower Merion High School Class of '24

2021 events:
Designer Genes
Fossils
[Protein and/or Disease]
Possibly Botany (trial)
Heredity  (we <3 genetics!)
Fossils :D
WIDI (no comment)
Circuit :/

Return to “General Competition”