MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Come on people we need to add to the best of 2020

Best of 2020

If you guys don't know how to add to the WIki, share me the photo privately, and I can add it on. :D
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

Quick question, what free flight class are wright stuff planes considered?
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Unfortunately, they do not fit any AMA rules class this year. They would be most directly applicable to P18, but even this year's monoplanes will not fit that class.

However, if you are looking to go to an AMA contest, contact the Contest Director (CD) and ask them to add a "Science Olympiad" class! Most contests are somewhat informal, and they will want to do whatever they can to encourage youth participation. Get them to add it early, and then get the word out, including here.

And consider building a P18. They are simple to build, fly better than SO, and are a recognized class.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

coachchuckaahs wrote: March 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm Unfortunately, they do not fit any AMA rules class this year. They would be most directly applicable to P18, but even this year's monoplanes will not fit that class.

However, if you are looking to go to an AMA contest, contact the Contest Director (CD) and ask them to add a "Science Olympiad" class! Most contests are somewhat informal, and they will want to do whatever they can to encourage youth participation. Get them to add it early, and then get the word out, including here.

And consider building a P18. They are simple to build, fly better than SO, and are a recognized class.

Coach Chuck
Thank you for introducing me to the P18 class, and I am now seriously considering doing some competitions in that class over the summer. I can't seem to find any rules or dimensions for the planes themselves. I know you and your students are experienced in AMA, and is there anyway you can link where to find information on these competitions?
These users thanked the author vehicleguy for the post:
bxt72 (April 28th, 2020, 4:25 am)
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Here is the rulebook for all AMA events (includes FAI events): https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/def ... 7-2018.pdf

Note that some events build on others, so be sure to read the general rules.

I would recommend the Ikara 6" prop since it is substantially lighter than most molded props. It is however, more fragile, so have a few of them on hand.

Coach Chuck
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post:
bxt72 (April 28th, 2020, 4:26 am)
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
AkshayB
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by AkshayB »

I am completely new to Wright Stuff. I really did not know how to start so as if right now I really just know how a plane flies and the parts of a Wright Stuff plane. I also read the Wright Stuff information on the scioly wiki. Any tips for how to get started?
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

There are a number of sites on the internet that cover this. google indoor rubber powered airplane design and principles. If you can get a hold on it, Freedom flight models has good information as does J & H aero from previous years plus others.
xiangyu
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

AkshayB wrote: July 6th, 2020, 6:59 am I am completely new to Wright Stuff. I really did not know how to start so as if right now I really just know how a plane flies and the parts of a Wright Stuff plane. I also read the Wright Stuff information on the scioly wiki. Any tips for how to get started?
These forums are really a great place to start! Spend about 1-hour reading over this thread and then post any questions you have here! For beginners, I suggest building from kits. The Freedom Flight kits are great and offer a lot of room for customization as well. Welcome to WS! :D

Xiangyu
These users thanked the author xiangyu for the post:
AkshayB (July 8th, 2020, 8:11 am)
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

If you want more to read in addition to 2020: viewtopic.php?f=299&t=12123&start=780 is a good place too (2019 forums)

Along with the 2015 and 2016 WS forums; lots of info there as well

The amount of info disseminated across these 4 forums are enough to make a book.
These users thanked the author CrayolaCrayon for the post:
AkshayB (July 8th, 2020, 8:10 am)
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Literally, the forums are how I got started in this event. Since you've read the WS wiki and know what basic terms mean, soaking up information is really the best way to attack things and get ideas. I personally started with a kit from Lasercutplanes (they're cheaper than Freedom Flight kits and leave a little more room for error as a result), but later on I used Freedom Flight and it worked out very well even with minimal trimming and adjustments.

Google is also your friend - it's how I found Hip Pocket Aeronautics, which has a subforum dedicated to Science Olympiad/Wright Stuff. Some things can be outdated (check the dates on threads!) but the principles of aerodynamics and good design are there.

I know a lot of this is just echoing what other people have said, but I really can't stress enough how good a resource the forums are for events like this. People outline principles of design and potential ways to tackle problems in really good ways that will likely inspire you to design a plane of your own. I managed to do fairly competently in my first year in WS even as someone who had zero experience with any relevant skills to the event. While it seems overwhelming at first, as you read and learn more about what you're doing it gets a lot easier.
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post:
AkshayB (July 9th, 2020, 12:07 pm)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”