Northern California

Untitled
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Northern California

Post by Untitled »

Well we can assume that the a team will always do better than the b team right? So if thats the case, churchill's a is better than their b which was better then arden's a. So lets say we take churchill b out of the picture, churchill a would have placed higher than arden regardless if their b was there or not.

I also see kube's point about the money. Our school's sci depart prob won't be having a second sci oly team next year due to the new cali state budget cuts.
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

Untitled wrote:Well we can assume that the a team will always do better than the b team right? So if thats the case, churchill's a is better than their b which was better then arden's a. So lets say we take churchill b out of the picture, churchill a would have placed higher than arden regardless if their b was there or not.

I also see kube's point about the money. Our school's sci depart prob won't be having a second sci oly team next year due to the new cali state budget cuts.
You would need to give every team who placed below Churchill B in every event that extra point since everyone would be moved up one position in each event.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

But either way it would maintain the balance of the rankings of those teams below churchill b. And churchill b did and worked hard to win 2nd place so I think we should penalize them for their hard work but reward them for their achievement.
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

Untitled wrote:But either way it would maintain the balance of the rankings of those teams below churchill b. And churchill b did and worked hard to win 2nd place so I think we should penalize them for their hard work but reward them for their achievement.
They can still get rewarded for it, i just don't think their scores should be counted toward the final scores/places.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

But they did work hard and did well during the competition. And I think that they should be rewarded with an overall ranking and placing trophy if they deserve it. I don't think that just because they are "b" or "c" team that we can not allow them to be rewarded with a final placing. Also both "a" and "b" teams compete as separate teams so they should be rewarded and recognized as separate teams. I know that the "b" team's success indirectly helps to secure their "a" team's win but their "b" team competed like everyone else and should be have their own placing. If they win 2nd, they win and deserve the 2nd place ranking because they legitimately earned it. We shouldn't degrade them by saying since you are "b" team you don't count or something of the sort.

(Btw this is mine on solely my opinion only. I didn't intend to offend anyone when writing this. Just expressing my thoughts on the manner.)
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
danger will robinson
Division: B

Post by danger will robinson »

tehkubix wrote:They basically 'threw out' that point so now the best anyone else can do is 3rd.
Not necessarily. This is the first time the B team has ever gotten 2nd. Every other year, its been either us or Arden.

Also, I agree with Untitled. The B team deserves to place and have their scores counted because they're just another team that worked just as hard as everyone else. They worked just as hard as us, so they need to be recognized as such. How would you like it if you worked hard for months and then didn't get recognition or get placed for it just because you were om a "B" team? (I was on the B team for two years, and if that happened to me, I would be really angry and upset)

The B team is simply another team for everyone to compete against. It hurts the A team from their school just as much as the other schools because its someone else to worry about. (Plus there's the shame of being beatne by someone on the B team if you're on A team and rank below a B teamer.)

(I'm with Untitled again, I don't want to offend anybody. It's just my opinion)
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

But the A team doesn't have to worry about the B team (as much as the other schools do). In a few events the B team places higher than the A team, but in general, the B team scores less than the A team.

To clarify any confusion/misunderstanding: I don't despise B teams or hate people or anything.. i just thing the whole multiple teams from the same school idea needs to change.
danger will robinson
Division: B

Post by danger will robinson »

But that's what I've been saying. It's just another team to compete against. Plus, if a B team makes it in the top 3, along with the A team, it doesn't get to go to States. It would be unfair for other teams if only two school would be allowed to advance.

I understand your frustration. I know that you don't hate B teams, just think that the system is flawed and don't dislike anyone on B teams.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
e99angel

Post by e99angel »

To be honest - I actually had a concern about B teams affecting the results, but I've analyzed our regional competition for three years now, and B teams haven't changed the top 3 or so places...so I think it's fair to allow schools with a lot of interest to let more people compete - one school had 3 teams at regionals this year? Plus, if a B team does better than an A team, that team would go to state instead. The school could choose to weight its teams evenly too, if it wanted. The system's not perfect though, I agree. I'm not sure what would be best, though...

States in less than two days!! I'm super excited. Now back to studying and building....:D
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

e99angel wrote:To be honest - I actually had a concern about B teams affecting the results, but I've analyzed our regional competition for three years now, and B teams haven't changed the top 3 or so places...so I think it's fair to allow schools with a lot of interest to let more people compete - one school had 3 teams at regionals this year? Plus, if a B team does better than an A team, that team would go to state instead. The school could choose to weight its teams evenly too, if it wanted. The system's not perfect though, I agree. I'm not sure what would be best, though...

States in less than two days!! I'm super excited. Now back to studying and building....:D
Bay Area? Yeah I'll see all you guys at states. 3rd year I'm going to states, but I have yet to compete at states :(. It's still fun to watch though. :)
Last edited by starpug on April 16th, 2009, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”