State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by xiangyu »

sneepity wrote: September 18th, 2020, 4:36 am
Godspeed wrote: September 17th, 2020, 6:48 pm
sneepity wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:02 am
of course it does, it's unclear as to whether it really means
i was looking through and apparently it meant that the boom has to be pulling at the hook? ofc it would tho
Unless the Boomilevers bottom part is longer than the top part, but then again if it were like that it would probably break instantly, but I don't quite know
hmm,isn't the compression longer than the tension? (or atleast when you measure it)?
edit:spelling mistakes
You guys are talking about two different types of boomilevers. There´s the tension boom and the compression boom, where one is compression < tension nd the other is compression > tension, both designs could work, but compression < tension is typically more popular.
These users thanked the author xiangyu for the post:
sneepity (September 18th, 2020, 6:14 am)
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
sneepity
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

xiangyu wrote: September 18th, 2020, 5:57 am

Unless the Boomilevers bottom part is longer than the top part, but then again if it were like that it would probably break instantly, but I don't quite know
hmm,isn't the compression longer than the tension? (or atleast when you measure it)?
You guys are talking about two different types of boomilevers. There´s the tension boom and the compression boom, where one is compression < tension nd the other is compression > tension, both designs could work, but compression < tension is typically more popular.
oh yeah, tysm! i think both designs are allowed (ofc)
These users thanked the author sneepity for the post:
888brilliant (October 28th, 2020, 4:21 am)
B)
Godspeed
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

sneepity wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:02 am
of course it does, it's unclear as to whether it really means
i was looking through and apparently it meant that the boom has to be pulling at the hook? ofc it would tho
It's hard to explain what I mean, but it's possible to not obey that rule is what I'm trying to say
These users thanked the author Godspeed for the post:
sneepity (September 18th, 2020, 11:11 am)
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by dholdgreve »

It all depends... if tension rods are longer than compression beams, and the rods are therefore on top, it has been called a tension boom. If the pieces that extend from the hook go out at 90 degrees to the testing wall, and are supported through longer angled compression beams beneath them, that type of design has been known as a compression boom. I think most experienced builders would agree that tension booms are usually more efficient. .
These users thanked the author dholdgreve for the post:
sneepity (September 19th, 2020, 10:31 am)
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

dholdgreve wrote: September 18th, 2020, 12:36 pm It all depends... if tension rods are longer than compression beams, and the rods are therefore on top, it has been called a tension boom. If the pieces that extend from the hook go out at 90 degrees to the testing wall, and are supported through longer angled compression beams beneath them, that type of design has been known as a compression boom. I think most experienced builders would agree that tension booms are usually more efficient. .
Oh I see. See, I've never done boomilever ever before so I have no clue what I'm doing and basing my knowledge off of common sense.
BobaTeaTastesGood
State: NC

Post by BobaTeaTastesGood »

So I'm new to boomilever. For the members, which grains does everyone use? I'm thinking C for compression and A or B for tension and the X struts.
Edit: I just checked our regional schedule. Apparently it will be held using SkyCiv, so I won't get to build anything... :x
Last edited by BobaTeaTastesGood on September 22nd, 2020, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoasobi and beabadoobee enjoyer
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

BobaTeaTastesGood wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 2:49 pm So I'm new to boomilever. For the members, which grains does everyone use? I'm thinking C for compression and A or B for tension and the X struts.
Edit: I just checked our regional schedule. Apparently it will be held using SkyCiv, so I won't get to build anything... :x
Are we allowed to talk about skyciv boomilever stuff on the forums? @bear
sneepity
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

Godspeed wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 7:27 pm
BobaTeaTastesGood wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 2:49 pm So I'm new to boomilever. For the members, which grains does everyone use? I'm thinking C for compression and A or B for tension and the X struts.
Are we allowed to talk about skyciv boomilever stuff on the forums? @bear
Godspeed, itś always been around (skyciv), and I recommend you don't publicly ask if you're allowed to talk about something.
These users thanked the author sneepity for the post:
Godspeed (September 23rd, 2020, 12:57 pm)
B)
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

SkyCiv has been mentioned at a few NSO-hosted workshops as the software for Digital Structure, so SkyCiv is public knowledge. What isn't released yet is the specific rules for Digital Structure.
These users thanked the author bearasauras for the post (total 3):
sneepity (September 23rd, 2020, 5:18 am) • Godspeed (September 23rd, 2020, 12:56 pm) • gz839918 (September 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm)
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

From 2001:
"
The Winning boom was made by an amazing girl from california. It weighed 7.7 and held it all, so it was very high. 2nd was harriton with a 8. something boom, and 3rd was solon with a 9.6 gram boom. dont know any others
id love to chat about boom
steven
"

Source: https://scioly.org/obb/viewtopic.php?t=291&start=1#2

At this point in time, 15000g was "full weight" as well. However, score was determined by:

mass held/mass device + mass held/10
Last edited by sciolyperson1 on September 25th, 2020, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “Boomilever B/C”