BEARSO Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
User avatar
Giantpants
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: February 7th, 2019, 5:42 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by Giantpants » October 5th, 2020, 7:27 am

sciolyperson1 wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 4:27 pm
BEARSO memberships up to 87B/183C, total 270 teams.
https://scilympiad.com/bearso/Reg/School
Absolutely unreal. Honestly, the only thing scarier than the strength of the field is how the scoring distributions for the testing events will look :oops:
Last edited by Giantpants on October 5th, 2020, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Giantpants for the post:
sciolyperson1 (October 5th, 2020, 9:01 am)
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

My Events: Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Dynamic Planet, Astronomy
Giantpants's Userpage

JonB
Coach
Coach
Posts: 325
Joined: March 11th, 2014, 12:00 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by JonB » October 5th, 2020, 7:40 am

Giantpants wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:27 am
sciolyperson1 wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 4:27 pm
BEARSO memberships up to 87B/183C, total 270 teams.
https://scilympiad.com/bearso/Reg/School
Absolutely unreal. Honestly, the only thing scarier than the strength of the field is how the scoring distributions for the testing events will look :oops:

Any Sci Oly "historians" can chime in here- is this the largest Div C competition (in terms of amount of teams) that has ever happened?

User avatar
Giantpants
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: February 7th, 2019, 5:42 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by Giantpants » October 5th, 2020, 7:42 am

JonB wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:40 am
Giantpants wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:27 am
sciolyperson1 wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 4:27 pm
BEARSO memberships up to 87B/183C, total 270 teams.
https://scilympiad.com/bearso/Reg/School
Absolutely unreal. Honestly, the only thing scarier than the strength of the field is how the scoring distributions for the testing events will look :oops:

Any Sci Oly "historians" can chime in here- is this the largest Div C competition (in terms of amount of teams) that has ever happened?
Oh certainly! I think the largest single division one before this was MIT 2019 with 76 teams. (if there is a larger one then definitely let me know lol)
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

My Events: Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Dynamic Planet, Astronomy
Giantpants's Userpage

JonB
Coach
Coach
Posts: 325
Joined: March 11th, 2014, 12:00 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by JonB » October 5th, 2020, 7:46 am

Giantpants wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:42 am
JonB wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:40 am
Giantpants wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:27 am


Absolutely unreal. Honestly, the only thing scarier than the strength of the field is how the scoring distributions for the testing events will look :oops:

Any Sci Oly "historians" can chime in here- is this the largest Div C competition (in terms of amount of teams) that has ever happened?
Oh certainly! I think the largest single division one before this was MIT 2019 with 76 teams. (if there is a larger one then definitely let me know lol)

I think there are some state or regional tournaments that are really big, but I am not sure.

User avatar
bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 403
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by bearasauras » October 5th, 2020, 8:14 am

Yah, San Diego Regional has over 100 teams at their single division tournament.
These users thanked the author bearasauras for the post (total 2):
sneepity (October 5th, 2020, 8:25 am) • Giantpants (October 5th, 2020, 8:59 am)

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 366 times
Been thanked: 515 times
Contact:

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by sciolyperson1 » October 5th, 2020, 9:02 am

bearasauras wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:14 am
Yah, San Diego Regional has over 100 teams at their single division tournament.
Is the NSO limit of 150 teams applied to regionals and states as well? Or does it only apply to invitationals?
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DigiStruc - 2nd '21, Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20

Rate my tests!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4285
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by Unome » October 5th, 2020, 9:20 am

I can confirm that this is definitely the largest in C, surpassing San Diego Regional's 100-ish. I'm pretty sure no invitational has topped 80 before. In B, San Diego Regional is typically in the vicinity of 120-ish.

I'm really curious where this 150-team limit comes from. I hear a lot about it but I haven't been able to find a reference.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 422
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by nicholasmaurer » October 6th, 2020, 10:50 am

Unome wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 9:20 am
I can confirm that this is definitely the largest in C, surpassing San Diego Regional's 100-ish. I'm pretty sure no invitational has topped 80 before. In B, San Diego Regional is typically in the vicinity of 120-ish.

I'm really curious where this 150-team limit comes from. I hear a lot about it but I haven't been able to find a reference.
The limit was discussed in one of the national office's webinars on virtual tournaments. It was written in the slides but not published on the national website. It is unclear to me whether things written in these PowerPoints should be treated as binding rules; everything else that is binding has traditionally been published to the website...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
gz839918
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 140
Joined: April 27th, 2019, 6:40 pm
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 389 times
Been thanked: 263 times
Contact:

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by gz839918 » October 6th, 2020, 7:18 pm

bearasaurus wrote:
Just heard back from NSO and confirmed
A&P: 2 sheets per team (1 per person) as per COVID rule
Forensics: 2 sheets per team (1 per person) as per the rules
AVDestroyer wrote:
wait so correct me if im wrong, but both memers of a cybersecurity team can use 2 sheets right?
bearasaurus wrote:
yup, it says each team can bring 2, so following COVID rule, each member can bring 2
we'll probably change it in the future to be consistent with all the other evens
person-v132 wrote:
and if it says "Each team may bring one 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper" that means that each person can bring 1 sheet but the 2/3 sheets have to be the same?
bearasaurus wrote:
for examle
for A&P
each partner can have 1 sheet of notes
the partners can have identical sheets of notes or completely different
person-v132 wrote:
but if you were soloing the event you would only get 1 sheet of info
while other teams could have 2 if shared through chat
bearasaurus wrote:
right
A selected excerpt of a conversation in scioly.org/chat, with all quotes provided verbatim. "How many notesheets can I use?" has seen a lot of confusion, so hopefully this offers some preliminary clarification on what's allowed for BEARSO. Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post (total 3):
Giantpants (October 7th, 2020, 12:46 am) • sneepity (October 7th, 2020, 5:45 am) • reninkidney (October 7th, 2020, 1:50 pm)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by reninkidney » October 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm

gz839918 wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 7:18 pm
bearasaurus wrote:
Just heard back from NSO and confirmed
A&P: 2 sheets per team (1 per person) as per COVID rule
Forensics: 2 sheets per team (1 per person) as per the rules
AVDestroyer wrote:
wait so correct me if im wrong, but both memers of a cybersecurity team can use 2 sheets right?
bearasaurus wrote:
yup, it says each team can bring 2, so following COVID rule, each member can bring 2
we'll probably change it in the future to be consistent with all the other evens
person-v132 wrote:
and if it says "Each team may bring one 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper" that means that each person can bring 1 sheet but the 2/3 sheets have to be the same?
bearasaurus wrote:
for examle
for A&P
each partner can have 1 sheet of notes
the partners can have identical sheets of notes or completely different
person-v132 wrote:
but if you were soloing the event you would only get 1 sheet of info
while other teams could have 2 if shared through chat
bearasaurus wrote:
right
A selected excerpt of a conversation in scioly.org/chat, with all quotes provided verbatim. "How many notesheets can I use?" has seen a lot of confusion, so hopefully this offers some preliminary clarification on what's allowed for BEARSO. Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Just to clarify, does that mean for events where you are allowed 1 sheet of paper (like A&P), each partner can have their own separate sheet for a total of 2 sheets and for events which allow for 2 sheets of paper (like meteorology), each partner can have 2 sheets for a total of 4 sheets?
2021 Events: A&P, Heredity, XPD

Post Reply

Return to “Invitationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests