Your Daily Random Comment

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Pi-Bot
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by Pi-Bot »

Pi-Bot wrote: October 8th, 2020, 5:10 am
gz839918 wrote: October 7th, 2020, 5:42 pm
imaditi wrote: October 6th, 2020, 7:18 pm does anyone have advice to not be ghosted by teachers :|
You could try asking them your question again, or messaging them again. Maybe they've just been under a lot of stress, and forgot about your message/email (which is marked "read" but they still haven't clicked "reply.") Or maybe they don't know what to do, and are still in the middle of drafting a response to you. Like sneep said, teachers are meant to help, so they should get back to you eventually, and if not, you may need to ask other teachers you talk to more often to coax them.
winneratlife would like to point out none of the people who were on the state team for FSA scioly: http://fultonscienceacademy.org/tag/ful ... -olympiad/
~~~ This message was posted completely with code (dm: no, ver: 2.0.0). If there is an error, please contact pepperonipi in the signature. ~~~
From GoofyFoofer's recent comment history, it seems like he is having a lot of fun but it's soooo sad to see all these people go
~~~ This message was posted completely with code (dm: no, ver: 2.0.0). If there is an error, please contact pepperonipi in the signature. ~~~
Disruptions could happen over the next few days. If anything serious, please DM pepperonipi.
Hey! I'm Pi-Bot, a Transmutation Hovertruck created by pepperonipi! I post at specified times with no human around. If you have any questions about me, please message pepperonipi!

Wiki: Contributions | Tasks
Forums: Changelog
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Unome wrote: September 10th, 2018, 5:28 pm
antoine_ego wrote:There are so many scoring systems nowadays, from Avogadro to Ezra to this new Sciylmpiad system. What ever was wrong with chalker's :(
Nothing is wrong with it. Other people may have slightly different needs, and are willing to build an entire scoring system for that purpose. Avogadro has online capabilities, and was developed before Chalker's was widespread (both were created at around the same time). Ezra is almost identical to Avogadro, but has some additional functionality for state organizations that I suspect helped ingratiate Cornell with the NY State organization. I can't point to anything in particular with Scilympiad, but it's worth noting that the regional it was developed for at first is too large to use Chalker's (which maxes at 70 teams).

Edit: It's also possible that Avogadro was the first to develop an event signup system specifically for Science Olympiad - I don't know exactly when theirs was developed. ESUS was being used at major tournaments in 2012, and was definitely in public release by 2014.

Edit 2: Upon noticing the Golden Gate thread - good luck to event supervisors tabbing 9 times per team to fill out raw scores (unless they opt to click on the cell for every team).
A question about scilympiad. We are registered to be in the UT (ATX) Invy on 10/23-24 and have never used scilympiad before. Are there fixed times for each event (like we usually have), or do they post all tests at the same time and allow students to "self-govern" when they begin? I did read somewhere where once the test is opened by either partner the timer starts, but can they start anytime?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

drcubbin wrote: October 10th, 2020, 10:52 am
antoine_ego wrote:There are so many scoring systems nowadays, from Avogadro to Ezra to this new Sciylmpiad system. What ever was wrong with chalker's :(
Nothing is wrong with it. Other people may have slightly different needs, and are willing to build an entire scoring system for that purpose. Avogadro has online capabilities, and was developed before Chalker's was widespread (both were created at around the same time). Ezra is almost identical to Avogadro, but has some additional functionality for state organizations that I suspect helped ingratiate Cornell with the NY State organization. I can't point to anything in particular with Scilympiad, but it's worth noting that the regional it was developed for at first is too large to use Chalker's (which maxes at 70 teams).

Edit: It's also possible that Avogadro was the first to develop an event signup system specifically for Science Olympiad - I don't know exactly when theirs was developed. ESUS was being used at major tournaments in 2012, and was definitely in public release by 2014.

Edit 2: Upon noticing the Golden Gate thread - good luck to event supervisors tabbing 9 times per team to fill out raw scores (unless they opt to click on the cell for every team).
A question about scilympiad. We are registered to be in the UT (ATX) Invy on 10/23-24 and have never used scilympiad before. Are there fixed times for each event (like we usually have), or do they post all tests at the same time and allow students to "self-govern" when they begin? I did read somewhere where once the test is opened by either partner the timer starts, but can they start anytime?
Each tournament has the option of setting their tests as they'd like. So, some tournaments have traditional event blocks, while others allow every event to be self-scheduled. The tournament website for ATX says "Students will take tests through scilympiad.com between 3:30 PM C.T. on Friday, October 23 and 7:30 PM C.T. on Saturday, October 24. Although partners can choose to take the test any time within the testing period, once one of them opens the test, time starts, and they cannot take more time than permitted by the test," which suggests that ATX falls into the latter category.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post:
drcubbin (October 10th, 2020, 11:09 am)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

gz839918 wrote: October 10th, 2020, 11:07 am

Each tournament has the option of setting their tests as they'd like. So, some tournaments have traditional event blocks, while others allow every event to be self-scheduled. The tournament website for ATX says "Students will take tests through scilympiad.com between 3:30 PM C.T. on Friday, October 23 and 7:30 PM C.T. on Saturday, October 24. Although partners can choose to take the test any time within the testing period, once one of them opens the test, time starts, and they cannot take more time than permitted by the test," which suggests that ATX falls into the latter category.
I'm just getting old... I have to remember, "skim less, and read carefully more!" Thanks gz :D
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

It’s 10/10, lots of bots have birthdays today :P
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
Fyren

Post by Fyren »

Are you today's date? Because you're a 10/10! ;)
Last edited by Fyren on October 10th, 2020, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Fyren for the post (total 5):
twoplustwoisten (October 10th, 2020, 6:26 pm) • gz839918 (October 10th, 2020, 7:37 pm) • Nydauron (October 10th, 2020, 9:26 pm) • EwwPhysics (October 11th, 2020, 1:03 pm) • LittleMissNyan (October 12th, 2020, 5:32 am)
VENI, VIDI, VICI.
twoplustwoisten
State: ID

Post by twoplustwoisten »

Fyren wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:01 pm Are you today's date? Because you're a 10/10! ;)
Oh. Wow. . . I'm blushing so hard right now and it's all your fault. (Thank you, I think you're lovely too)
********************__
*******************/ _)
*********_.-------._/ /
*******/--------------/
****__/ (**|------(**|
___/__.-'|_|_____|_|
Pi-Bot
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Pi-Bot »

gz839918 wrote: October 10th, 2020, 11:07 am

I'm at home sick right now, but I have to spend it doing my English essay and History project.
Disruptions could happen over the next few days. If anything serious, please DM pepperonipi.
Hey! I'm Pi-Bot, a Transmutation Hovertruck created by pepperonipi! I post at specified times with no human around. If you have any questions about me, please message pepperonipi!

Wiki: Contributions | Tasks
Forums: Changelog
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Fyren wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:01 pm Are you today's date? Because you're a 10/10! ;)
Can't wait for November 10th
Fyren

Post by Fyren »

twoplustwoisten wrote: October 10th, 2020, 7:00 pm
Oh. Wow. . . I'm blushing so hard right now and it's all your fault. (Thank you, I think you're lovely too)
Aww, thanks! Don't make me blush too... (◕////◕)
VENI, VIDI, VICI.

Return to “General Chat”