bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Digital Structures B/C [mini SO, Satellite SO]

Post by bernard »

nocommonsense wrote: October 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm Does anyone know what the minimum and and maximum length for the structure we have to build for the competition? Thanks.
There is not a minimum or maximum length for the entire structure but the distance between the Loading Point closest to the Testing Wall and the Testing Wall needs to be at least the distance specified by the Event Supervisor. This value will vary from competition to competition so it is important to look for this value before building.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
CAchungus (October 18th, 2020, 9:51 am) • nocommonsense (October 21st, 2020, 8:55 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

nocommonsense wrote: October 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm Does anyone know what the minimum and and maximum length for the structure we have to build for the competition? Thanks.
It varies between competition.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post:
nocommonsense (October 21st, 2020, 8:55 am)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
sAkEtH
State: MD

Post by sAkEtH »

For future competitions, do we have to purchase our own SkyCiv or will each tournament give a limited time subscription?
These users thanked the author sAkEtH for the post:
sneepity (October 20th, 2020, 4:36 pm)
River Hill High '23, Clarksville '19
sneepity
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

sAkEtH wrote: October 20th, 2020, 2:38 pm For future competitions, do we have to purchase our own SkyCiv or will each tournament give a limited time subscription?
I would think that they would provide it, because SkyCiv is basically (if you know what I mean) like the testing wall in actual boomilever building. If they don't provide it, teams would have to be obligated to purchase their own program, which doesn't seem fair. But yeah, it's like the "test" or the "testing wall" at competition, which the tournament would have to provide.
B)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad

Post by bernard »

sneepity wrote: October 20th, 2020, 4:39 pm
sAkEtH wrote: October 20th, 2020, 2:38 pm For future competitions, do we have to purchase our own SkyCiv or will each tournament give a limited time subscription?
I would think that they would provide it, because SkyCiv is basically (if you know what I mean) like the testing wall in actual boomilever building. If they don't provide it, teams would have to be obligated to purchase their own program, which doesn't seem fair. But yeah, it's like the "test" or the "testing wall" at competition, which the tournament would have to provide.
It's both the Boomilever and the Testing Wall. :?:
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sneepity
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

bernard wrote: October 20th, 2020, 6:13 pm
sneepity wrote: October 20th, 2020, 4:39 pm
It's both the Boomilever and the Testing Wall. :?:
In a sense, I guess they are giving us the boomilever? I think of it as them giving us the boomilever materials, and the competitors building it and testing it. It depends on how you use the materials ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B)
Godspeed
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

Godspeed wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:39 am
xiangyu wrote: October 4th, 2020, 10:02 am
Godspeed wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 6:42 pm

Yeah, I've had some very... scary scores (in a good way.) Is it just me or does the contact width line not really effect your score?
Uhhhh lol scary? In what sense? I've been getting normal scores using last year's dimensions.

There was a bug in the system that was fixed which gave participants scores of 100000 + haha.
I've been getting some very very good scores, which is obviously good for me, but sometimes they're just unrealistic, as in the fact that I've gotten over 12,000 once.
Btw It was with 20 cm minimum load distance and 3 cm contact width line dimensions
And it was also during the time that point loads were a thing.
Basically no, it wasn't a glitch, but you can not do it anymore because point loads are no longer a thing.
Godspeed
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

Hey everyone!
How is everyone doing at this event? What are some decent scores you guys have been getting for the smallest and largest parameters?
rmsangad
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by rmsangad »

Hello I recently attended an invitational competition and had some questions on the rules. Is there a certain stress parameter that is allowed for each member? My partner and I thought it was 7kPa so we made our structure accordingly. Is this correct? Also if a team can carry more than 15,000 g, will they be awarded extra points because I don't think SkyCiv checks that. I will appreciate and help and pointers. Thank you!
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

rmsangad wrote: Is there a certain stress parameter that is allowed for each member? My partner and I thought it was 7kPa so we made our structure accordingly.
Yes, there is. If you turn on the Science Olympiad add-on and look at the materials list, you will see a list of materials, moduli of elasticity, densities, and Poisson's ratios. Image
This screenshot shows the aforementioned values that are pre-built into the add-on.
rmsangad wrote: Also if a team can carry more than 15,000 g, will they be awarded extra points because I don't think SkyCiv checks that. I will appreciate and help and pointers. Thank you!
If a team carries more than 15000g, they will earn a 5000g bonus according to rule 5.c. However, this bonus is static and will not increase, even if a team holds much more than 15000g.

Hope this helps!
These users thanked the author builderguy135 for the post (total 4):
sciolyperson1 (December 27th, 2020, 3:33 pm) • rmsangad (January 11th, 2021, 5:24 pm) • bernard (January 11th, 2021, 9:28 pm) • sneepity (January 24th, 2021, 7:58 am)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Return to “2021 Build Events”