Racism in the United States

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Racism in the United States

Post by Adi1008 » July 30th, 2020, 1:28 pm

I wanted to share this piece, which was particularly eye-opening for me. It's an open letter written by Dr. Tyrone B. Hayes, a professor at UC Berkeley, that describes some of the discrimination he's faced as a Black man in academia. Dr. Hayes is an accomplished scientist, but a Black person should not have to be Harvard-educated to deserve fairness in life.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

gz839918
Administrator
Administrator
State: NC

Post by gz839918 » October 25th, 2020, 9:43 am

5 months ago, George Floyd's death, captured on video, set off a fury of protests about the presence of racism in the United States. Today, we remain in a pandemic unlike any other in a century, and perhaps it is no surprise it affected Floyd too, who weeks earlier, had contracted COVID-19. In effect, he had been choked twice: a knee from the outside, and a virus from the inside. This is what a pandemic looks like.

Nobody wanted the pandemic. Before the shutdown of schools everywhere, it was going to be our season, where we finally made states, where we finally got to meet a forums friend in real life for the first time, where we finally earned that medal! But while we may have lost last season, the seasons come and go, and thus last spring replays this autumn, as Science Olympiad springs back to life. We are human, and we are a resilient species.

And from our resilience, we can choose to replay something else very differently—the course of human history. We enter this autumn with a much more acute knowledge of racism in America, and with new pandemic-safe tournaments, the barriers to participation have been lowered to having Internet at home. From every crisis springs opportunity, and now more than ever, we have the amazing potential to rewrite our teams' futures—one where we can be proud of our team for standing against racism, and for creating better STEM leaders. So, I'd like to re-open discussion: what are you doing to empower change in our schools and teams? What's working? What's not working? What questions do you still have?

You're also always welcome to talk about what you've been reading :)
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post (total 5):
Booknerd (October 25th, 2020, 10:34 am) • sneepity (October 25th, 2020, 11:38 am) • Fyren (October 25th, 2020, 1:22 pm) • LittleMissNyan (October 26th, 2020, 6:00 am) • EastStroudsburg13 (October 26th, 2020, 8:18 am)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » October 28th, 2020, 7:02 am

gz839918 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:43 am
5 months ago, George Floyd's death, captured on video, set off a fury of protests about the presence of racism in the United States. Today, we remain in a pandemic unlike any other in a century, and perhaps it is no surprise it affected Floyd too, who weeks earlier, had contracted COVID-19. In effect, he had been choked twice: a knee from the outside, and a virus from the inside. This is what a pandemic looks like.

Nobody wanted the pandemic. Before the shutdown of schools everywhere, it was going to be our season, where we finally made states, where we finally got to meet a forums friend in real life for the first time, where we finally earned that medal! But while we may have lost last season, the seasons come and go, and thus last spring replays this autumn, as Science Olympiad springs back to life. We are human, and we are a resilient species.

And from our resilience, we can choose to replay something else very differently—the course of human history. We enter this autumn with a much more acute knowledge of racism in America, and with new pandemic-safe tournaments, the barriers to participation have been lowered to having Internet at home. From every crisis springs opportunity, and now more than ever, we have the amazing potential to rewrite our teams' futures—one where we can be proud of our team for standing against racism, and for creating better STEM leaders. So, I'd like to re-open discussion: what are you doing to empower change in our schools and teams? What's working? What's not working? What questions do you still have?

You're also always welcome to talk about what you've been reading :)
I guess I can get things started. Granted, I'm not a student or affiliated with a team, but I have gotten involved with a Diversity & Inclusion group that the company I work for has started. At the moment, the group is predominantly white individuals who are older than me, so I am hoping to be able to bring forth discussions and points of view that may be new to some people.

By this token, one actionable item that some of you could do to empower change is to talk about diversity and inclusion with your coach(es). It may be something they're open to, but may not be actively thinking about. Planting that seed could get you a valuable ally in trying to improve inclusivity in science.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 2):
gz839918 (October 28th, 2020, 7:38 am) • Giantpants (January 2nd, 2021, 6:38 pm)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “General Chat”